linuk

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
Hello,
I have reinstalled xp on my packard bell laptop, and now no sound and says no device found for sound looking for a driver for mtc 8640 any help would be appreciated

Are there any devices in Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager showing yellow marks beside their entry? Is so, click the Properties button and then Details tab and note the four characters after VEN and also after DEV. Go to http://www.pcidatabase.com and enter those in the two box to search for the manufacturer and hopefully, their website for driver downloads. Be very careful where you go to downlaod drivers - many sites are no better than con-artists.

linuk

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
Hi found the website downloaded the zip file but now i am confused which one i have to install as there is about 20 items on there and really have no idea..

Put in the link you used to download, we should be able to come up with what to install. If the zip file if for one device, look for a file with a .exe extention, usually called setup.exe, that's the one you want to run. Unless this was a full driver pack, then you'd want to start with one that is the chipset, and the rest of the order does not matter much.

In case that tip about PCIDatabase.com helped, might it be appropriate to put a Sticky up about it? I posted one in Windows 7>Drivers in the hope the Mods there might do so - pleae feel free to copy it here if you think it might have some value. [/#000ff]