How do u turn off spread spectrum?

Hi,

How do u turn off spread spectrum? What does it do and what is the benefit of turning it off? I heard it helps with stability when overclocking. Any help would be greatly apprecaited.

Thanksss

~Ryan
11 answers Last reply
More about turn spread spectrum
  1. IIRC spread spectrum is this ...

Everything inside the computer emits an electromagnetic field which can interfere with other components. Spread spectrum, when enabled, helps reduce the field generated from the CPU (i think) but means the CPU's clock speed varies more dramatically (several MHz instead of normal variance of about 1 MHz)

Basically, if you're overclocking and pushing it close to the limit, having spread spectrum enabled means that the greater variance it causes may send the CPU speed slightly too high, at which it might be unstable, which might cause a crash.

EDIT: And you can turn it off in the Bios ... it should be in chipset features menu (i think).
  2. Is there any possibility that I may damage my computer by turning this off? If not why is it there??
  3. You shouldn't damage it at all ... turning it off will make the clock speeds more stable, so it'll be less likely to crash.

It's there because, in rare circumstances other equipment can be effected by the electromagnetic fields ... you might commonly experience it as a slight buzzing sound being produced by a sound card etc. Most of the time, you won't have any problems.
  4. Well I should be able to get to 3.4 easily now...I guess. I had 3.4 almost stable it would do 2 or 3 min on orthos then crash. Now it should be good to go. Ill try it as soon as I get home. Thanks man. :)
  5. Good luck ... I haven't been able to get my 6000+ much higher than stock. Pretty much resigned myself to the idea of my chip not having any head room.
  6. From what I've read Spread Spectrum on is good if you are having stability issue, but having it on can impact how much you can overclock your system. It should normally be set to off.
  7. Is there such an option for Intel solutions? Just wondering because recently I got buzzing noise coming out of my speakers.
  8. Spread spectrum only changes the CPU speed by no more than +/- 1-2MHz, so don't worry about it "overclocking" too far :lol:
  9. Spread spectrum clocking (SSC) does just that - it spreads the clock frequency spectrum so that nothing interferes with anything else.

@Evilonigiri

SSC doesn't have anything to do with speakers buzzing. :/ Is it a constant buzzing or just random spurts?
  10. Spread spectrum tries to use the system clock generator to disipate any residual EMI hanging around the system. Unless you're using something that put out a lot of EMI or you have things outside of your computer that are causing EMI to your computer you usually don't need it on.

It causes problems with overclocking because it produces spikes in the system clock frequency. In some rare cases it can cause the core clock to jump up a couple hundred mhz. I've seen this happen with people OCing phenoms recently. Some things you can visually watch with spread spectrum enabled, is if you for example use AMD overdrive, or any program that actively monitors the CPU frequency. In AMD overdrive you can watch the htt, nb, and core speeds fluctuate as the base htref/fsb clock speed fluctuates.

You may also need to disable Cool & Quiet in the bios, that will also have an effect on OCing stability for AMD processors, due to voltage changes when switching states.
  11. Does anyone know how to disable it for an asus crosshair? I cant seem to find the option.
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking Components