My Ram is limiting My Cpu overclock

Hello all, Ive been searching for a while and cannot find any directly helpful information. Learned a lot but cannot apply it without a few missing links.
Im trying to overclock my E6400 to 3.0 Ghz
Im running it on a Biostar TP43D2-A7
With 2GB Generic DDR2 667 @1.888v 5-5-5-15 @ 333
8800 Gts 320
Oh yeah and Vista 32(Not for long though, I really wanna put on XP Pro)

Im Using the Biostar Overclock Tool in windows. I have noticed that the processor automatically increases voltage as necessary when i increase the clock speed. When I increase CPU frequency the ram increases at a rate of 1.25 that of the CPU. When i get to 320 x 8 im at 2.56 Ghz, and the memory is reading 400 mhz so im assuming being dual channel its @ 800 mhz. I can run stably like this for about an hour before it crashes... I dont think the ram can run any faster. So can I slow down the RAM or change the ratio at which it increases? I cannot find anything to do with dividers in my BIOS. I read up on loosening up the RAM but still dont quite understand it... Can i run it @ 200 mhz so when i overclock the Cpu the RAM is can still goto 400 from 200? Or do i need to buy better faster RAM. I was considering buy a 2gb 1066 high quality kit, would that make a noticeable difference. Like when im playing crysis?

Also Im using ATI tool to overclock the GPU on my video card, but it wont let me SET the clock speeds? I click set and everything goes back to Zero..... I dont get it.. Vista related?

Thanks for any input...
4 answers Last reply
More about limiting overclock
  1. Also would anyone recommend keeping Vista 32 Ultimate over going to XP PRO SP3?
  2. Never use that Biostar Overclock Tool or any other manufacturer-supplied overclocking utility. They make "hidden" changes and are not stable. Change the settings yourself in the BIOS. Set your memory bus speed to match the FSB as follows: set the memory bus to DDR2-xxx speed, where xxx is 1/2 the FSB datarate. For example, for a 1333MHz FSB datarate, set the memory bus to DDR-667. Sounds like you also need to buy some decent DDR2-800 RAM (don't buy anything with a spec voltage higher than 1.9V).
  3. In bios underclock it to 667.
  4. SuzukiRider said:
    Also would anyone recommend keeping Vista 32 Ultimate over going to XP PRO SP3?

I have that same motherboard overclock from the bios like was mentioned its not any harder and you'll have more options to fine tune things more. Anyways try to stick to a 1:1 ratio and as for the ram DDR1066 should help performance some. The TP43D2-A7 motherboard supports more than 1.9V so it's really kind of a non issue on this board just look for the lowest latency DDR2 1066 you can find basically G. Skill makes some good ram I just got some my self rated at 2.1v that works fantastic. Anyways here's a guide based off the bios from the P45 board made by biostar which the majority of the settings are identical that should help you out a bit.

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en-us/event/tpi45oc/index.htm

Also here's a blog I have on the board in case you want to leave some comments on how your board is.

http://tp43d2-a7.blogspot.com/
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking RAM CPUs