overclock and dead mobo problem

sip

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Hi everyone. My first post here. hopefully the first of many happy future posts but for now i am getting very close to throwing my machine out in the street and beating it to death with a big stick

PC spec is as follows

Thermaltake mozart tx case
2 x WD raptor 320gb HDD
1 x 1TB spinpoint HD
1 x old hdd (possibly 320gb??)
pioneer 108 dvdrw
Asus p5b mobo
Pentium d805 cpu
4gb corsair dominator xms2-8500 memory
Leadtek 7800 GTX
swiftech apogee cpu block
laing D5 pump
tygon tubing
i think it was an nx78 waterblock for the graphics card
reservoir etc al the usual addons and a 120.2 rad

Wonderful i thought. i can finally have my ni ce fast machine with lots of extra sace for electronic bells and whistels in the really oversized case.

but no it didnt want to play did it.

The first problem.

How the hell do you setup two WD raptors in a striping array using a p5b ??

after about 4 or 5 days i got sick of trying every different bios setting i could think of and reading every post about the p5b and decided to just install everything onto one raprtor instead.

next problem.

I read the wonderfuly toms hardware guide on overclocking ther d805 which is what promted me to get this cpu / borad combo in the first place. mmm dual core running at 4.1 GHz would have been lovely. i have the best Oc gear for the job so the only issue i might come across would be the cpu beign from a bad batch in which case i was happy to settle for a lower clock maybe 3.8 ish or even 4.01 if i was lucky

so i adjusted the clock and lo and behold it booted with no problem and there it was 4.01 GHz. Brilliant !! until i restarted it. at which point it said there was some sort ofissue with the bios and that it didnt want to boot. i set the same settings again after a load defaults but it wouldnt boot into windoze.

i never did get that overclock back again. I spent so many hours trying to get it back that i just gave up and thought i would come back to it in the future at some point as i had som work to do and couldnt spend any moe time mesing around with my pc.

So. i start using my pc and after a while i notice some sort of wierd distortion on the side of my monitor and i think i miust have caused the issue when i installed the graphocs waterblock. maybe it isnt seated properly.

so i take it out remove all the arctic silver and reapply and everything seems fine again.

until yesterday

for some reason i turned the pc off because i was going to bed early and didnt have anything to leave it on for. normally i would never switch it off but hey

it will not turn back on. from what i can tell the board is dead. if i short the two wires on the psu so it turns on then i get the blue light at the bottom but thats it. no boot no nothin

so i have now been two days trying to get an old pc to work so i can get back to my emails etc.

Rant Over

My question is.

A should i reall be trying for the 4.1 overclock. ?? is it really attainable. i think the kit i have should support it but i seem to be running into various problems.

My board is dead. What would you suggest i do now. replace with the same or go for a p5k deluxe maybe?? ifyou werw building a big main pc which you wanted to be really quick what would the best combination of boar and cpu be?

I want something fast i am happy to spend some money on it but i would also like the satisfaction which a good overclock gives you. i have read quite a few posts about the q6600 should i go for one of these?

I am pretty out of touch with the hardware scene so please go easy on me and thanks in advance for your replies.

Sip

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
Ok...replace the board with a quality Gigabyte or Asus board, maybe the P5k-e.

And a d805 is dog slow compaired to the core2 chips. I would buy a q6600 or a 8400 for about the same money (around 200 USD) and sell the d805 on ebay or what ever. You could even buy a cheap core2 duo for 70 bucks that will out perform that d805.

When you replace the mobo, just make sure the board you buy supports the memory you already have, you don't want another headache. I would even call the company's tech support and ask if they have had issues with your ram, and if they support it. Sounds like overkill but might save you a problem or two down the road.

If you choose to keep the d805. I have heared they overclock like crazy, so You might be able to reach that 4.1ghz mark. Hell if I had that, I would crank the living crap out of it, and if it died I would buy a cheap core2.

sip

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
i have had the 805 for a while nowso it may be outdated.

are there any other processors which have the same kinda potential for overclocking?

Also does the p5k-e do everything i need?

Mondoman

Splendid
Not sure how to break it to you gently, but that article is well over 2 years old now, and Pentium D's are obsolete and no longer made (same for your MB). I'd get a new MB with a solid P35 chipset such as the Gigabyte PA-EP35-DS3x series, which will let you run and overclock current Core2Duo CPUs. If you're really money-limited, try an e21x0 CPU; for more fun, try an e7200 CPU.

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
Yes.. most core2's overclock very well. You need to have good cooling obviously, but 25% to 50% can be achieved depending on the cooling and motherboard. Honestly an E8400 stock, with absolutely smoke a d805. If you push it to 3.6 or 3.8, forget about it.

chaoticjoy1

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2008
I have had my bad experiences with ASUS motherboards, i would get a really good overclockable motherboard like gigabyte and a new processor yours is 533 FSB, and the lowest lga 775 mobo i can find is 800 FSB and above, and i dunno if this is right but maybe the heat got to extreme for the mobo? Anyways i found a good site for finding computer hardware: www.newegg.com, but there might be some other markets that have a mobo that supports 533 FSB, maybe Ebay? Ok well thats all the info i got to give.

chaoticjoy1

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2008
If you want a good processor and not tooooo expensive get the E6750, it has good overclocking potential and some of them can oc to 4.0GHz.

Yes, the P5K-E will do everything you need it to.
If you have already had the 805 for quite a while, might as well overclock the hell out of it before you get a new CPU.
Just add more voltage to the CPU until it either becomes stable or burns out.

As it is very outdated now anyways, any core 2 based CPU will rule over your 805.
The newer arch is much more efficient clock for clock.
Something to the tune of a E6600 at it's stock 2.4Ghz being just as powerful as a P4D around 4Ghz.
Sorry to say but even a value E2180 should have no problem clocking past 3.0Ghz and blowing an overclocked 805 out of the watter.

I doubt you can get it or an E6750 to 4Ghz (gotta be realistic chaoticjoy1 :pfff: ) but if you want to go for that magic mark, look at the E8400.
With that CPU, a 3.6Ghz overclock is basically free and 4.0Ghz can be had bye most.

sip

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
ok i have a rampage forumla on the way now. seems to do everything i need and all the reviews sound great. i wanted to future proof as much as i could so that seemed a good choice.

everyone i having differen opinions about cpu so lets get a bit more specific.

i probably have $400 to spend on the cpu at the most. please give me your suggestions at the $200 and $400 marks or close to it

my question remains though that if i have the d805 oc'd to 4.1ghz will a comparable new cpu give me the same performance?

ie is it worth spending the money or not?

OK, with you system specs and either $200 or $400 to spend I would recomend...

$200 price point:
E8400 $169.99

$400 price point:
E8400 $169.99
4870 $255 after $20 MIR

No point geting anything faster than the E8400.
It will overclock to 3.6Ghz easialy and can normaly be pushed past 4.0Ghz.

Upgrading your 7800GTX to a 4870 will give you a much more potent gaming upgrade than going from an 805 @ 4.0Ghz to an E8400.