Physx Cards Waste of Money

jimbonewbie

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
I've noticed on the ASUS site their is something called a Physx card, and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

Depends, what games do you play and do they support the PhysX card? Only a few games support it and it does add some great effects.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
I've noticed on the ASUS site their is something called a Physx card, and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them.
As others have said, for most games it's a waste of money. For games that support it... it's pretty cool. They're even starting to make UT3 maps that are designed around using the Physx card. I still wouldn't buy one though. :p

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Waste of money. It won't be until DX11 (sometime in late 2009) that accerated physics becomes a "standard" . About that time I think there will be an Intel solution as well which should be fairly standard.
Even with accerated physics, basic physics has a LONG way to go.

PhysX is a dead end.

Ageia will likely be bought by either nVidia or AMD, supposedly they have already been sold, but no mention of to whom that I saw last time I checked.

Since intel bought Havoc and killed all VPU-acceleraed physics hopes, then it's likely that one of the other players will buy Ageia to ensure that not all games go Havoc only.

Like Shadow says PCIe 1X was not a limitation, even Ageia said they didn't need one as PCI was already powerful enough.

Overall it's a dead end, if not because of ATi and nV's actions, definitely after intel's purchase of Havoc.