I have a question about thermal compound and dual core processors.

totakeke

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2008
I have a question about applying some Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound to a dual core Intel CPU. I've been poking around the internet, and most people say to just put a small amount, about the size of a grain of rice or so on the CPU. Arctic Silver's instructions, however, say to apply a small line on the processor. Which method is better or doesn't it matter? Thanks a lot.

williamleja

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
I always use a VERY small amount and spread it with a credit card around the integrated heat sink. It it actually probably less than a grain of rice.

Overall I would say use the least amount of thermal grease as possible. a thin coat is better than a thick one.

Good luck,

William

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
Follow arctic silvers instructions based on your processors type (single, dual, or quad). The best way is to listen to the instructions. I followed them for this q6600 rig I just built for a family friend, thing line horizontally. This rig is a beast =P.

williamleja

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
Well I don't follow them because frankly I believe that a line of thermal compound would make too thick a layer on the CPU. I think it would inhibit the transfer of heat from the processor to the HSF.

I followed the directions from Arctic Silver one time and almost had thermal compound oozing out. It is a waste of expensive thermal compound when you apply that much.

William

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
Keep in mind, as pressure is placed upon the heatsink, the thermal compound is spread out to the concave portions between the heatsink/heatspreadder. Spreading the compound thin with a credit card can hurt the cooling potential. Personally, I let the force of the heatsink move the compound where it needs to me. It does the job well enough for me. =P

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
I normally put it on the proc, and use the finger method it's messy. But this method makes sure it's spread, then use a razor blade to even it off.

williamleja

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
I do agree with you Kamrooz. I found that doing it my way suits me so that is why I recommend it. Totakeke; whether you follow my advice or Kamrooz your processor will not be harmed. Either way it will stay cool.

I will post my idle temps just to show you that my supported method does work. With my Zalman CNPS9500 at 100% I idle at 36 degrees Celsius. Ambient temperature in my room is 20 degrees Celsius. Keep in mind I am mildly overclocked.

My point is either way works. Do whatever you'd like and don't lose sleep over this.

William

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
This rig idles around 26-28 depending on room temperature, full load is around 40-44 c depending on the cores. Q6600 @ 3ghz. Right now it's at 45-48C though, It's DAMN hot in my room right now with a prescott and this rig running folding@home...lol...Having my door and windows closed hasn't helped either. Need to get as much use out of this build before I give it to the person I built it for =P...Go go folding!

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
^_^...I'm only going to have this rig for another day or two, so folding dem proteins as fast as I couldz! =P. Let's just say my main rig, a 3.2 prescott, doesn't do a very god job ::shakes head in disappointment::. But yea, a oc'ed q6600 + SMP Folding@Home is great ^_^.

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
You dont want to touch it with your finger, the oils from your skin can inhibit the heat transfer. What I do is place 5 small dots on the IHS, in a pattern like the 5 on a die. This gives even coverage, and allows the heatsink to distribute compound as needed.

williamleja

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
Yeah I remember doing SETI@home looking for ET a long time ago on a 1.2 Ghz Athlon Thunderbird with 512 Megs of RAM. It took three days to do a work unit. Folding@home would whoop its ass.

Poor little Prescott. He was good in his day but the Core architecture buried him. Now he has to fold protein for the rest of his life.

williamleja

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
B-unit; I agree with you about the oils. I used to go so far as to wear latex gloves while applying the AS5. Now I am just really careful.

William

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

I think he would appreciate you putting him to good use. At least its better than sitting in the dumpster waiting to be sent to the landfill.

williamleja

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
I think he would appreciate you putting him to good use. At least its better than sitting in the dumpster waiting to be sent to the landfill.

That is very true. It is too bad my Athlon is already poluting or I would have him do the same thing Kamrooz is doing.

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
lol...My main rig (prescott once again) is a 24/7 folding machine. I'm a video editing and 3d modeler, but since this rig is just unacceptable for todays needs, I just ignore pursuing those fields farther until I get a new rig, I've turned to photoshop painting with my tablet till I can afford a new rig. =P...

But yea, it take pretty much 2-3 days now to run a WU via folding@home....lol. It's horrid. I have a p3 933 rig sitting next to me as well, and a dual AMD MP 1800+ rig...The dual amd rig died many years ago, I brought it back to life recently somehow, but i left it off for a while, when I turn it on now I smell a burnt sensation, so I quickly shut it off, too lazy to re-mount and add more thermal goop =P...Once I get the time and off my lazy ass, I'll do so, and add another mediocre folding machine to my repertoire..MWHAHAHAH!

williamleja

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
But yea, it take pretty much 2-3 days now to run a WU via folding@home....lol. It's horrid. I have a p3 933 rig sitting next to me as well, and a dual AMD MP 1800+ rig...The dual amd rig died many years ago, I brought it back to life recently somehow, but i left it off for a while, when I turn it on now I smell a burnt sensation, so I quickly shut it off, too lazy to re-mount and add more thermal goop =P...Once I get the time and off my lazy ass, I'll do so, and add another mediocre folding machine to my repertoire..MWHAHAHAH!

Wow you've got quite the museum going there Kamrooz. A prescott, a Pentium 3, and an AMD. The electric company probably loves you. Mediocre sure, but who knows you may receive the work unit that cures cancer. I can see it now: "Pentium 3 finds the cure for cancer!" It would certainly show those of us with dual and quad core computers. Your P3 would end up in a museum and you'd get rich.

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007

:sol: That would mean a folding home of q6600 g0 rigs....all with 8 gb of ram just for the hell of it. A nehalem ES rig (before anyone gets theirs =P), with 2x fusion IO's (http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/34065/135/) in raid 0, 4x 3870 x2's (Who cares if it's not supported and runs really slow, as long as I have 8!), along with 8 dvd-rw drives when I feel the sudden urge to burn 8 dvd's at once, 8 1tb hard drives for mass pr0n storage, and 9 usb ports, 1 for my keyboard, and the other for 8 mouses, Why?..Because I can! =D

I can see it now!...damn it looks sexy....::looks back at his 3.2 prescott rig::..Alright..dream dashed... :lol:

If I do end up finding that mystery protein out there and folding it, than yay for humanity, I doubt I would get diddly squat though, just a pat on the back and "You've done the world a great service"...Than I'd say "Where's My Share Biotch!"...but seriously, I'd just feel honored, and crawl back to me 3.2 prescott. :cry: