Seagate 1.5 TB not reading in/out Dell XPS

Duhrek

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
So on a whim of getting more photography on my Dell XPS 400 with window XP, I got a Seagate Barracuda 1.5 TB hard drive. Plugged via internally, windows cannot see the drive when I click on "my computer". Even plugged into an external machine such as the Gigaware SATA Hard Drive Enclosure, the drive could not be recognized.

What's weird is that when I plug my 500 Barracuda in, XP recorgnizes it, internally or externally. It's the 1.5 that has problems.

Any recommendations or help with this little problem? Thanks in advance!

_DW

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Where are you looking for the drive?.. if not formated, it will not be in "my computer".

Right click "My computer" and go to "Manage". The computer management window should open. In that new window, go to "Disk Management". From here you should be able to see the drive and format it.

If you are not seeing the drive in the Disk Management, are you seeing it recognized in the computers post?

_DW

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
more specifically the Seagate 11 series has been plagued with problems as a whole. They are working on a firmware fix. A lot of people with dead series 11s have been told to hold on to them until the new firmware is released and that the data was still safe. I would avoid them at any cost right now.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006

Funny you should say that; that was the first thing that came to mind when I saw this thread. These 1.5TB drives have been failing en masse, and it's really unfortunate because Seagate used to mean quality. I have a 7-year old Dell, and the original 40GB Seagate hard drive is still chugging away happily after all these years. WD has been good to me as well; I had a 9GB WD drive last about 8-9 years in an even older Dell (P3, Windows 98), and the WD drive in my PC has worked nicely since 2004.

Duhrek

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Thank you, all. _DW, I did what you said (Duh, I should've known this, but my memory is the shorthanded type nowadays).

It's finally been read! Thanks all, I repeat the Seagate downspeak if this HD messes up (and part of me is scared it might)

Homeboy2

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
I think the latest ones are fixed. Mine is going for a week no problems very fast. Hopefully it will continue. The seagate website says my drive is not affected, maybe all the bad drives are out.