Choice b/t these two power supplies? Seasonic or PC Power & Cooling

Deathviper

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
I am trying to choose b/t these two power supplies. Price is within $1 of each other. They are both going to be a little overkill for the new system (E2180 @ 3(upgrade to quad and overclock or maybe jump to Nelhamn at some point), 4 Hard Drives, 3850 Video (might go crossfire in the distant future) I have an Antec P180B case. I am just curious if anyone has any pros/cons that I should think of or if these two are pretty safe bets. It would be nice if they were fairly quite, since I do not have either it would be nice to know what others thought of these two. Thanks in advance!

SeaSonic S12 Energy Plus SS-550HT ATX12V / EPS12V 550W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CE, CB, TUV, FCC - Retail

Or

PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 EPS12V EPS12V 610W Continuous @ 40°C Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, cUL, CE, CB, TUV - Retail

HVDynamo

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2008
Go with the PC Power and Cooling, it never hurts to have a little overkill, However with your upgrades you mentioned this is not going to be overkill. I don't run anything but PC Power and Cooling PSU's in my computers, they are some of the best on the market.

Deathviper

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Thanks for your reply's!

I have read where I may have to take the lower fan out of the P180B to get the PC Power & Cooling to fit and then I have read that some people are able to get it back in. So, I am a little worried that may hard drives won't get much air. Should I be worried? Or will I be able to get the fan back in?

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
Both are great PSU's and it doesn't matter which one your buy you won't be disappointed.

If noise is important to you though, Seasonic make excellent silent PSU's, even under load I never hear the 120mm fan above the rest of my components. If out and out efficiency is your most important factor you may want to go with the PC Power & Cooling PSU, but then again Seasonic isn’t a slouch in that area either.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006

The case on that PC P&C is about 1" longer than the other PSU your looking at and should not be an issue.
The PC P&C's fan setup allows for more heatsink inside of it case...runs cooler and lasts longer.
All the 12V power is on one rail so it is 100% usable and -constant load rated- at 49Amps and 40C air temp.
They are $119 USD dirrect from PC P&C.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006

But they are -not- Seasonic any more than they are OCZ.
They are built to PC Power & Cooling specs and are the best hands down and all my build with the same parts as other people get the same overclocks...without needing to change voltages.

einstein4pres

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
Ok, I think you're way overmarket in the PSU dept. I'm running a e2160 at 3GHz with 8800gt on a Antec Earthwatts 380.

Since you're thinking about 2 video cards (I think 3850 requires extra power), an Earthwatts 500 would work for you.

If you want a straight choice, I'd try the PC P&C one.

chedrz

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006

With the bottom fan left in, the Silencer will be a tight fit. Essentially, the power cables will be right up against the fan bracket. But, they won't actually hit the fan blades. You just have to be careful about how you run your cables. You'll still get plenty of airflow over everything.

Deathviper

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Looks like everyone likes the PC P&C. So, I will go with that one. And the fan grill was a great idea, I wouldn't have thought of right off the bat, so I will order one of those also. Thanks to everyone!