Solved

Is 24/7 too much?

Hi, I am a rank novice at the whole tech-world, but am trying to learn as quickly as possible so please be patient w/ me. I have an IBM laptop (an old one) and am running XP Pro. Because I am using it for some international business that I'm involved in, I am leaving it on 24hrs. a day. I have been told that this is OK, but I am a bit wary of this advice. I am wondering if someone can tell me if this is right? And if I do, is there some things I should be aware of if I use this practice? Thank you for your help... Jeffrey
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about much
  1. Best answer
    Copperhead 1 said:
    Hi, I am a rank novice at the whole tech-world, but am trying to learn as quickly as possible so please be patient w/ me. I have an IBM laptop (an old one) and am running XP Pro. Because I am using it for some international business that I'm involved in, I am leaving it on 24hrs. a day. I have been told that this is OK, but I am a bit wary of this advice. I am wondering if someone can tell me if this is right? And if I do, is there some things I should be aware of if I use this practice? Thank you for your help... Jeffrey

You may wan to go into the power settings and allow your hard drives to turn off after a specified period of time of non-use to save mechanical wear on them.
  2. Oh, thank you so much for your reply. If you might be kind enough to direct me about how to find such settings as you describe I will be forever grateful. Jeffrey
  3. Right-click anywhere on the desktop, select properties, select the screensaver tab, select the button labeled Power, and select from the various choices for monitor, hard disks, etc.
  4. Best answer selected by Copperhead 1.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows XP