XP boot-up time??

Can someone please direct me to a site or group to find information
about how adding memory to XP changes boot-up time?
TIA
10 answers Last reply
More about boot time

    What makes you think that it does?

    "bew" <bweddl@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Can someone please direct me to a site or group to find information
    > about how adding memory to XP changes boot-up time?
    > TIA

    Windows XP Performance
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/evaluate/xpperf.mspx

    Computer RAM: A Crucial Component
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/moviemaker/expert/dunn_03august11_ram.mspx

    4 Ways to Speed Up Your Computer's Performance
    http://www.microsoft.com/AtWork/getstarted/speed.mspx

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "bew" wrote:

    | Can someone please direct me to a site or group to find information
    | about how adding memory to XP changes boot-up time?
    | TIA

    Minimum Recommended Ram 256, optimum level 1 gig.

    Boot up time is most effected by applications the run at startup, adware, &
    maleware.
    At run prompt type msconfig > click startup tab
    You will be shocked at how many applications think that they need to be
    running in the background. Most of these apps can be disabled. Do you need
    windows office always running in the background, quicktime, or Adobe reader.
    The answer is absolutely not.You will not see any change in the performance
    of installed apps. that are disabled in startup. Individually they might
    start slightly slower when you do decide to use them, but they will run as
    they always did.

    Also run spyware detection program to check for these obnoxious programs.

    Good luck

    Jeff

    In news:dc7s6n$9df$1@domitilla.aioe.org,
    bew <bweddl@gmail.com> typed:

    > Can someone please direct me to a site or group to find
    > information
    > about how adding memory to XP changes boot-up time?

    If a computer running Windows XP doesn't have enough RAM, it will
    do more paging, and paging (disk I/O) is mechanical and much
    slower than electronic access to RAM. So if you don't have enough
    RAM for the applications you run, adding memory will improve
    performance. If you do have enough RAM to not page at all, or
    very little, adding more RAM will do almost nothing for you.

    But the paragraph above is about performance in general, for a
    running computer. With respect to decreasing boot-up time, adding
    RAM is likely to make a much smaller difference if any.

    Besides, my personal view is that the attention many people pay
    to how long it takes to boot is unwarranted. Assuming that the
    computer's speed is otherwise satisfactory, it may not be worth
    worrying about. Most people start their computers once a day or
    even less frequently. In the overall scheme of things, even a few
    minutes to start up isn't very important. Personally I power on
    my computer when I get up in the morning, then go get my coffee.
    When I come back, it's done booting. I don't know how long it
    took to boot and I don't care.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    I agree, Ken. The startup folder is liklier to affect startup time than any
    ram over 256MB.

    "bew" <bweddl@gmail.com> wrote:

    > Can someone please direct me to a site or group to find information
    >about how adding memory to XP changes boot-up time?
    >TIA

    Download the page file usage monitor from
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_pagefilemon.htm or from
    http://billsway.com/notes_public/WinXP_Tweaks/ and run it immediately
    after the computer has booted up.

    That will show you how much active memory content has been moved from
    RAM to the page file so as to allow that RAM to be used for other,
    currently more important purposes.

    More RAM would reduce or even eliminate this paging, thereby speeding
    up the startup process by whatever amount of time it took to actually
    write out those pages from RAM to the page file on the hard drive.

    Unless there is a very substantial amount of actual page file usage
    (e.g. more than 40 or 50 mb) it is unlikely that the time saving at
    startup is going to be noticeable.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Agreed!

    If you have sufficient RAM to begin with, adding more will not affect the
    boot time appreciably.

    Now, if you only have 128 meg, going to 256 meg will make a big difference.
    Going from there to 512 meg may make no difference at all.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst@msn.com> wrote in message
    > What makes you think that it does?
    >
    > "bew" <bweddl@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Can someone please direct me to a site or group to find information
    > > about how adding memory to XP changes boot-up time?
    > > TIA
    First, thanks to all who replied.

    My son recently added a 1 gig memory chip to existing 512 meg. He says
    that with the edition his boot-up time changes from 30 sec. to 1 min. 30
    sec, but with either memory chip alone the boot-up time is 3O sec. The
    program load time after boot is much improved with all memory.
    If any more info is required, I'll contact him and relay to this group. He
    is travelling most of the time and asked me to solicit help.

    > "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst@msn.com> wrote in message
    > > What makes you think that it does?
    > >
    > > "bew" <bweddl@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > Can someone please direct me to a site or group to find information
    > > > about how adding memory to XP changes boot-up time?
    > > > TIA
    > First, thanks to all who replied.
    >
    > My son recently added a 1 gig memory chip to existing 512 meg. He says
    > that with the (edition) addition his boot-up time changes from 30 sec. to
    1 min. 30
    > sec, but with either memory chip alone the boot-up time is 3O sec. The
    > program load time after boot is much improved with all memory.
    > If any more info is required, I'll contact him and relay to this group.
    He
    > is travelling most of the time and asked me to solicit help.

    I currently have two PC's that I use every day.
    1) P4 3.0, Asus P5GD2 MB, 1 gig DDR2 RAM,. ABIT ATI 700X PCI express Video
    card, 160GB WD HD
    2) AMD64 4000+, Abit AV8 MB, 1 gig DDR Ram, Radeon 8500 Video Card, 2-160GB
    WD HD's

    PC 2 boots in half the time it take PC 1 to boot. It also blows PC 1 out of
    the water in photoShop and Premiere.

    What conclusion can be drawn here? Hardware makes a lot of difference.

    Jeff

    > In news:dc7s6n$9df$1@domitilla.aioe.org,
    > bew <bweddl@gmail.com> typed:
    >
    >> Can someone please direct me to a site or group to find information
    >> about how adding memory to XP changes boot-up time?
    >

    > If a computer running Windows XP doesn't have enough RAM, it will do more
    > paging, and paging (disk I/O) is mechanical and much slower than
    > electronic access to RAM. So if you don't have enough RAM for the
    > applications you run, adding memory will improve performance. If you do
    > have enough RAM to not page at all, or very little, adding more RAM will
    > do almost nothing for you.
    >
    > But the paragraph above is about performance in general, for a running
    > computer. With respect to decreasing boot-up time, adding RAM is likely to
    > make a much smaller difference if any.
    >
    > Besides, my personal view is that the attention many people pay to how
    > long it takes to boot is unwarranted. Assuming that the computer's speed
    > is otherwise satisfactory, it may not be worth worrying about. Most people
    > start their computers once a day or even less frequently. In the overall
    > scheme of things, even a few minutes to start up isn't very important.
    > Personally I power on my computer when I get up in the morning, then go
    > get my coffee. When I come back, it's done booting. I don't know how long
    > it took to boot and I don't care.

    > Please reply to the newsgroup

Boot Microsoft Windows XP