Advantages of X38 over P35?

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
In the time it took you to create this post at THG, you could have gone to INTEL.COM and found out for yourself in stead of finding someone else to do it for you? Get a clue people.

Yowza, at least you stay true to your name :kaola:

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
so if u dont need CrossFire then P35 is a better buy

P35/X38 supports Crossfire, SLI is where you fall short (unless the obvious, there aren't 2+ PCI-express slots, of course). Does anyone know a place to find a BIOS or nVidia driver to allow SLI on this chipset? I have looked with no success, but its said they exist. Kind of like unicorns, cheap gas and fair taxes.

50bmg

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
I have been thinking about going X38 with my new build.

Can it be confirmed that p35 will support the 45nm cpus, like the E8xxx? Have they updated their bios?

How far away into the future are graphics cards with PCIe 2.0? P35 wont support crossfire????

I only build a system every 2-3 years. I need as much future proof as i can afford. I would hate to be building another system in a year just because i need a new video card.

MrsBytch: i am lazy to. LOL. I like to hear from users with experience. Sometimes web-articles and factory websites have agendas. I will read those sites to, but a different outlook on a topic is always nice. Forums are great places for weeding out the marketing from real world.

Maximus_Delta

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008

yes, my ASUS P5K MB can support all the upcoming 45nm processors including the quads. Assume this is the same for other P35 based boards.

P35 supports crossfire but the second slot is not 16x mode. Currently cards have more bandwidth than they need by quite a margin at 1.0 if i'm not mistaken - shouldn't be a major issue.

I'd go with either a Gigabyte or ASUS P35 with DDR2 for best the best performance / price point.

jevon

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004
P35 boards have what is usually advertised as two PCI-E 16 slots. Unfortunately, this is kind of shady wording; ONE of the slots runs at the "full speed" of 16x (sometimes called 'electrical') while the SECOND slot will only run at 4x speed/electrical. Huge difference there.

You can check around for reviews of 3850's in Crossfire on P35 and X38's. When on a P35, they are beaten by a single GTX (due to the 4x slot), but on X38 where BOTH slots run at full 16x electical, two 3850's are pretty much equal to the single GTX. Only now are we seeing that the 4x slots are bottlenecking cards.

Also just wanted to point out that some X38's support DDR2, some DDR3, and some even support both! I'd stick with DDR2 IMO for another year or two.

rallyimprezive

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007

What?! There is a significant bandwidth difference between the two. Perhaps you worded it incorrectly.

The problem is that current video cards dont make use of the increased bandwidth YET.

The benefit of the X38 is that you will be ready when video cards are able to take advantage of that extra bandwidth. The big question is when.

T8RR8R

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
I think what he meant was that for current graphics cards PCIe2.0 doesn't do much for you over PCIe1.0. So there's really not much of a difference in performance...so far.

So I guess we're all on the same page now?

chuckm

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007

Someone else may know of some kind of hack, but no you cannot do SLI with an Intel chipset,it's Nvidia only.

T8RR8R

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
Yeah I figured someone would put a checking on me about that, but people should look into that board it's great for the price. I mean ~$200 for an X38 board, plus DFI has almost always had a good wrap with Intel chipsets.

oops sorry i meant that for current cards the difference between PCI-E 2.0 and PCI-E 1.0 isnt much (like 8800GT)

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007

I dunno I have yet have to see her post anything constructive. She flammed another thread and this was only the second time I have seen that name, quite a few posts though... But more than likely yes, lol that made me laugh.

T8RR8R

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
I guess I can't blame her because some people do ask some retarded questions that could be solved in about 2 minutes on their own, but at the same time I feel that is why I have the little X in the upper right hand corner of my screen. If I can't move a conversation forward and just want to e-choke some I just close up shop and go get a coffee or a toddy :) Comments like that just aren't really needed.

sak33wa

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
I doesn't matter. The only stupid question is the unasked one. otherwise no one would ever learn regardless if they're lazy or not. Judging by MrsBytch's join date... she'd be in her mid to late 40's, but I'm sure that with most women.. age and weight are exaggerated. And looking at a good many of her past posts (2400+) she was pretty helpful in the early days, though now a majority of her posts are bordering on flaming or chastising. I'm probably going to get flamed now, but hey... I'm married.. I'm used to it :kaola:

Anyways... I'm working on building a new system as well. I've done some major research and had settled on the Asus MAXIMUS FORMULA Intel x38 mobo. Was wanting to aim at eventually going SLI, but seeing this thread.. will have to pull back and rethink on the mobo. Thanks :)

T8RR8R

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
I was just saying that if you don't like what someone writes down you don't have to reply even if you think the question/comment is dumb. I also agree that there are no stupid questions, just the ones not asked.

There is more heat being drawn up by Nvidia today than just the other day like this one for example http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6208&Itemid=1

If I were to ask most people in there 40s and 50s if they've heard of Intel most would probably say yes, but if I asked if they've heard of Nvidia most would say no. Just my 2 cents, and I've got a whole roll of quarters in my pocket.