[HELP] Failed external drive (Maxtor Onetouch 4 750GB)

My friend uses the Maxtor Onetouch 4 750GB drive for data backup, and yesterday it "died" on him.

According to his own description, he never noticed any strange sounds, nothing smelled funny or burned (I made him sniff and tell me), no strange blinking, no nothing.

The problem is that after he turns it on, its starts up and spins for about 10 seconds and then it dies.

Did any one of you guys ever experience anything like this? I really want to help him get his data off the drive, any suggestions??
2 answers Last reply
More about help failed external drive maxtor onetouch 750gb
  1. I don't trust externals. Just not my style. So I can't really help you troubleshoot it. Maybe check the power supply if it has one? Call up tech support, is it under warranty?

As for the data, I'd just pop the case open and throw the HDD in my computer to recover it.
  2. seboj said:
    I don't trust externals. Just not my style. So I can't really help you troubleshoot it. Maybe check the power supply if it has one? Call up tech support, is it under warranty?

As for the data, I'd just pop the case open and throw the HDD in my computer to recover it.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives External Drive Maxtor Storage