2040Mb VRAM on a 7800GT?

Dela

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008
Hi guys,
here's my problem, whenever I open up DXDIAG or Nvidia control panel is shows my graphics as having 2040Mb of video memory. It only has 256Mb obviously so why is it adding an extra 1784Mb of RAM? Any ideas? Thanks.

Q6600 (Not overclocked) 2.4GHz
GA-P35C-DS3R motherboard
4Gb Ram
7800GT 256Mb
Vista Home Premium 64-bit

I would assume that th card has turbo cache which means that it has the abbility to call on the system ram when needed and i would assume that 2040 is it maximum amount hence it lists that it is available.
Mactronix

monst0r

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007
since when do 7800gt s have turbocache? lol..

i had that problem with dxdiag too..for my 8800gt..still have it actually

it doesnt matter anyway, rivatuner and most games can tell it has ~512mb, so dont worry about it.

Dela

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008
Cheers for replies. Yeah I haven't noticed it affecting performance. Just hope it's not nicking 1784Mb RAM and not doing anything with it.

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
It's nothing to be alarmed about; Vista virtualizes video memory.
Here you go, straight from the Wiki:

Virtualized video memory
WDDM drivers allow video memory to be virtualized, and paged out of video memory into system RAM. In case the video memory available turns out to be insufficient to store all the video data and textures, currently unused data is moved out to system RAM to make room for the data. When the swapped out data is needed, it is brought back in.

Yea thats the kiddy homerdog i seem to have lost it i have the splash page for the white paper on it but the article i was refering to has dissapered.

monst0r
Grow up, you cant expect people to know every thing about every card. I saw Nvidia and have seen people report this problem associated with turboCache before, at least my reply was trying to be informative whilst yours added nothing.
Mactronix

monst0r

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007

if i expected them to know everything about the card, why would i be on a forum to help people out? my reply WAS informative, i told him it wasn't a problem and he could just use it otherwise. you were just guessing around at what the problem could be (which could worsen the situation) while i posted about a personal experience.

clears it up nicely thanks.

kpo6969

Distinguished
May 6, 2007

1.Not all people use RivaTuner
2.I thought the operating system controlled memory management (not RivaTuner)?
3.What tells the game how much memory the card has?
you said:
"i had that problem with dxdiag too..for my 8800gt..still have it actually"
read the white paper

btw:
mactronix's post was more relevent to the tread topic than your's

monst0r

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007

1. thats great, just supplying info because if he did use riva tuner it would work great.
2. the OS does control memory management, and this has already been solved (look back a few posts)
3. i believe (this is a guess..since i never looked at the coding) that the game will be able to recognize the physical vram, as does the OS, but dxdiag shows allocated ram from virtual and physical.

i said:
"i had that problem with dxdiag too..for my 8800gt..still have it actually"
ive already read the white paper.. thanks for supplying it, but why would you quote my old post when ive already said

Quote :

clears it up nicely thanks.

a quick google search would have fixed the issue primarily im sure, but it bothers me when people make uneducated guesses at the least.