Display Properties

I need to know how to delete an item from the background list in Display
Properties/Desktop. These are digital photos from My Pictures that somehow
got copied to the background list. These items are not in
Windows/Web/Wallpaper. When I "right click" on an item, I get "whats this?",
not "rename, delete, etc."
Thank you....
7 answers Last reply
More about display properties

    The plot thickens..... It seems anything you put into "my pictures"
    automatically gets copied to the background list in Display
    Properties/Desktop without the command "set as desktop background". How can
    this be stopped. I don't want hundreds of photos cluttering up the background
    list.

    "dama1" wrote:

    > I need to know how to delete an item from the background list in Display
    > Properties/Desktop. These are digital photos from My Pictures that somehow
    > got copied to the background list. These items are not in
    > Windows/Web/Wallpaper. When I "right click" on an item, I get "whats this?",
    > not "rename, delete, etc."
    > Thank you....

    See my last reply.

    "dama1" <dama1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I need to know how to delete an item from the background list in Display
    > Properties/Desktop. These are digital photos from My Pictures that somehow
    > got copied to the background list. These items are not in
    > Windows/Web/Wallpaper. When I "right click" on an item, I get "whats
    > this?",
    > not "rename, delete, etc."
    > Thank you....

    If I understand the ramifications of you're reply correctly, the "My
    Pictures" folder is rendered useless if everything put in there gets copied
    to the background list, and you have to put downloaded digital photos in a
    different folder. I would rather know how to stop anything placed in the "My
    Pictures" folder from being copied (automatically) into the background list

    dama1 wrote:

    > If I understand the ramifications of you're reply correctly, the "My
    > Pictures" folder is rendered useless if everything put in there gets
    > copied to the background list, and you have to put downloaded digital
    > photos in a different folder. I would rather know how to stop anything
    > placed in the "My Pictures" folder from being copied (automatically)
    > into the background list in Display Properties/Desktop.

    You are misunderstanding the My Pictures folder. It is a system folder
    and its behavior is as has already been explained. I'm sorry that you
    don't want to create a different folder in which to put your pictures,
    but that is the way the operating system works.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    I don't know how all of your pictures are showing up as backgrounds, but
    usually a user supplied picture only shows up there once it has been used as
    a backgroud and the pictures themselves show up in C:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper.
    This is a case where apparently different folders are actually different
    views of special system folders like My Pictures. Somehow all of your files
    in My Pictures are flagged as backgrounds. Try moving all of the pictures
    out of My Pictures temporarily and seeing what shows up in
    C:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper.

    > If I understand the ramifications of you're reply correctly, the "My
    > Pictures" folder is rendered useless if everything put in there gets
    > copied
    > to the background list, and you have to put downloaded digital photos in a
    > different folder. I would rather know how to stop anything placed in the
    > "My
    > Pictures" folder from being copied (automatically) into the background
    > list
    > in Display Properties/Desktop.
    >
    > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
    >
    >> See my last reply.
    >>
    >> "dama1" <dama1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I need to know how to delete an item from the background list in Display
    >> > Properties/Desktop. These are digital photos from My Pictures that
    >> > somehow
    >> > got copied to the background list. These items are not in
    >> > Windows/Web/Wallpaper. When I "right click" on an item, I get "whats
    >> > this?",
    >> > not "rename, delete, etc."
    >> > Thank you....

    So, who knew? You're reference that "My Pictures" is a system folder is news
    to me. There was no mention of it until your post. I thought it was there for
    my convenience to store downloaded photos. I don't mind at all creating a
    different folder to store pictures, now that I know it's the only alternative.

    "Malke" wrote:

    > dama1 wrote:
    >
    > > If I understand the ramifications of you're reply correctly, the "My
    > > Pictures" folder is rendered useless if everything put in there gets
    > > copied to the background list, and you have to put downloaded digital
    > > photos in a different folder. I would rather know how to stop anything
    > > placed in the "My Pictures" folder from being copied (automatically)
    > > into the background list in Display Properties/Desktop.
    > >

    > You are misunderstanding the My Pictures folder. It is a system folder
    > and its behavior is as has already been explained. I'm sorry that you
    > don't want to create a different folder in which to put your pictures,
    > but that is the way the operating system works.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    The My Pictures, My Music, and My Videos are special sytem files. I think
    that if you try to delete them the system will put them back (although I
    have never done that I read posts from folks who did). If you open My
    Documents (as opposed to Documents and Settings) you will see those three
    folders are represented by special folder icons showing different types of
    documents being put into each respective folder. A similar folder type
    appears in the Shared Documents folder as well.

    If you ever want to empty one of these folders, move the contents but don't
    try to move the folder the way you would normal folders. You can relocate
    them but it involves something more.

    > So, who knew? You're reference that "My Pictures" is a system folder is
    > news
    > to me. There was no mention of it until your post. I thought it was there
    > for
    > my convenience to store downloaded photos. I don't mind at all creating a
    > different folder to store pictures, now that I know it's the only
    > alternative.
    >
    > "Malke" wrote:
    >
    >> dama1 wrote:
    >>
    >> > If I understand the ramifications of you're reply correctly, the "My
    >> > Pictures" folder is rendered useless if everything put in there gets
    >> > copied to the background list, and you have to put downloaded digital
    >> > photos in a different folder. I would rather know how to stop anything
    >> > placed in the "My Pictures" folder from being copied (automatically)
    >> > into the background list in Display Properties/Desktop.
    >> >

    >> You are misunderstanding the My Pictures folder. It is a system folder
    >> and its behavior is as has already been explained. I'm sorry that you
    >> don't want to create a different folder in which to put your pictures,
    >> but that is the way the operating system works.
    >>
    >> Malke
    >> --
    >> Elephant Boy Computers
    >> www.elephantboycomputers.com