Sign in with
Your question

Spanned Volume setup problems

Last response: in Storage
February 6, 2009 12:59:57 PM

I'm trying to setup a spanned volume (in Windows) on my two 640GB HDDs, one has data on it the other is "unallocated". However when I attempt to extend the volume onto the unallocated HDD it claims "The volume requires contiguous disk extents". I have the HDDs in as Disk 1 and 2 respectively in Disk Management, so what the heck is going on?
February 13, 2010 2:56:31 AM

+1

Does anyone have an idea why this does happen?

I have 3 HDD's -
Disk 0 - System
Disk 1 - Dynamic, NTFS
Disk 2 - Unallocated

I am selecting "Extend Volume..." on Disk 1. The Wizards starts and offers me the Disk 2. I am adding it and go Next and Finish. The message appears.
a c 127 G Storage
February 13, 2010 4:15:27 AM

If you create a RAID0 of two disks, both disks would lose their data. You said one disk already has data on it, then you can't use that for a RAID0 array if its in use.

Please read a bit on what RAID is and how to use it. Always make sure you have a good backup. You might end up losing data otherwise.
Related resources
February 13, 2010 2:16:37 PM

sub mesa said:
If you create a RAID0 of two disks, both disks would lose their data. You said one disk already has data on it, then you can't use that for a RAID0 array if its in use.

Please read a bit on what RAID is and how to use it. Always make sure you have a good backup. You might end up losing data otherwise.

Thank you for the reply. I didn't realize that it attempts to create RAID0 when you are extending dynamic volume in windows Storage Manager. this term is missing in all Microsoft articles on this topic :( 
a c 127 G Storage
February 14, 2010 6:56:39 AM

That error message may have saved you from losing all your data on the "Disk1" that you tried to convert to a dynamic volume (aka Windows Software RAID). I would suggest not playing with these options unless you have a very good backup in place. Otherwise, you might burn your fingers and lose alot of data.
!