Sign in with
Your question

Crucial Ballistix PC8500 & Gigabyte P35-DS3R

Last response: in Memory
March 8, 2008 3:08:46 PM

Guys,

Looking for some serious help.. I'm at my wits end with some memory issues I appear to be having and I'm ready to throw my new PC out of the window. I'm running an E8400 on a Gigabyte P35-DS3R board with Crucial Ballistix PC8500 1066mhz memory. Not currently overclocked.

My PC is insanely unstable even idle, it will randomly BSOD then upon reboot just immediately BSOD over and over. I finally realized that the Gigabyte board have default memory voltage @ 1.8v so I changed the voltage to +0.4 and its now showing 2.2v which is what the memory requires. (Memory is rated at 5-5-5-15 @ 2.2v) The problem is, if I set the SPD to 1066 (3.2) with 5-5-5-15 the PC won't boot, if I change the timings to auto it will boot with 5-7-7-24 but is unstable.

I talked to Crucial today and they weren't much help, guy on live chat told me to drop it to 800mhz @ 5-5-5-15 which I've done currently.. PC seems OK but havent really messed with it much. (Showing 400mhz 5:6 @ 5-5-5-15 in CPU-Z)

I have to be honest, I'm not all that familiar with memory timings etc.. Looking for some advice to get this thing stable its driving me crazy. Does anyone have a BIOS screenshots of what the timings should be? Or any reccommendations? I've googled the problem and lots of people seem to have really funky memory issues with this board ram. Like I said, I'm at my wits in.. been trying to get it stable for a week with 3 new OS loads.

Thanks
March 8, 2008 6:52:41 PM

Hello.Me too.I have a GA P35-DS4 and the same memory you have.Im awaiting my THIRD set from crucial.Thats two RMA for me.Someone else on this forum is having problems with the ballistix 1066 also.Iguess they sent out a bad batch or the gigabyte boards dont like the ballistix1066.I bought some pny 667 and am using it while waiting my replacement set and havent had a single problem with it.You had the timings right.But its not right for crucial to have you run it at 800 when you paid for 1066.If I have another failure Im going to demand a refund and get a OCZ 1150mhz set and try that.Run HWMonitor and see if its running at 2.2 or 2.24. I think mine was burning out cause my board was running it at 2.24v Mine would last around 10 days and then the errors would start.And soon It wouldnt boot into xp.
March 8, 2008 7:45:26 PM

Je - please list the model numbers of *all* your other system components, including things like the CPU cooler, PS, CPU, etc. Have you tried running memtest86+ through at least a couple of complete passes? (at the 800MHz 5-5-5-15 setting)
Related resources
March 8, 2008 11:48:24 PM

CPU - E8400
CPU Heatsink/Fan - Zulman 9700LED
PSU - ABS Tagan BZ700 (700W)
Video Card - BFG 8800 GT OC 512m
Ram - 4x 1g Crucial Ballistix PC8500 DDR2 (1066mhz)
HDDs - 1x WD Raptor 150g 2x 250g 7500.10 Seagate
DVD-RW - Asus 52x Lightscribe

March 11, 2008 9:06:46 PM

The problem is with your 4 x 1 GB of ram download Microsoft update KB929777
This will cure it
March 11, 2008 9:08:03 PM

Mostly VISTA 32 + 64 problem It does not like the 4 ram stick set up at 1066 2 sticks fine 4 sticks boo boo
March 11, 2008 11:16:32 PM

I'm actually running WinXP SP2.. Just an update to this post.. I still cant get this stable.. machine will run Prime for 10 hours, pass memtest86 then BSOD 5-6 times 2-3 hours later. I've removed 2g of the memory leaving 2x 1g sticks and I'm having the same problem. I've tried to rotate out the 1g sticks in attempt to isolate a bad stick but have the same problems with any of them in.. I also have this problem at 1:1 400mhz, 5:6, 5:8 and I've tried every speed from 667mhz to 1066mhz (which is what its rated for)

One minute all my ram will pass memtest86, the 1 hour later I'll BSOD and run it and get error loops where the errors just continue to pile up non-stop.

I finally decided to RMA the Crucial back to Newegg and bought this.. http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I'm hoping that takes care of the issues..

Could this issue be something else? CPU/MB?

I don't have a heat issues.. 41C idle and 51C under full load
a b } Memory
March 12, 2008 12:20:14 AM

^ If that's the case you might have a bad motherboard.
March 13, 2008 8:37:59 PM

OK quick update.. got my new Corsair XMS2 2g x 2 memory.. PC boots fine now at stock settings 5-5-5-18 1.8v.. PC hasnt crashed once.. but I ran Prime overnight and one core crashed at 8 hours with the message "FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.49609375, expected less than 0.4" The other core ran for 24 hours with no errors.

Any ideas? Should I be worried about the prime message? I am close to just ordering a Abit IP35 Pro.

Any thoughts would be appriciated.
March 13, 2008 11:40:13 PM

Yes, the error means your system isn't stable. I'd boost the RAM voltage to 1.9V (which is still technically within the DDR2 spec). Remember that memory problems will also over time lead to corrupted files on your hard drive (including Windows system files), so if your system runs through at least 2 complete passes of memtest86+ without errors, then go ahead and reinstall Windows before trying Prime/Orthos again overnight.
March 14, 2008 9:57:06 AM

We are experiencing exactly the same problem with crucial ram,, (BL2KIT12864AA1066.000) 1066GHz 1gb memory sticks and Gigabyte P35-DS4 motherboards.

I have two motherboards, running Q6600/4 processors and 4 gb of the above memory in, and get periods of absolute stability followed by absolute memory errors in every stick (as reported by mem86+).

CPUID says that the memory voltage is 2.06v - do you think that raising that to 2.2 would fix the problems, or is it just that crucial have compatibility issues?

Our memory arrived at the end of february, but we have the same issues with a pair that was RMAd.

Can anyone recommend a replacement memory that is known to work with this motherboard?

Joe
March 14, 2008 2:07:14 PM

Mondoman,

Upping the voltage on my Corsair ram made my machine stable for 24 hours at 100% on both cores (1.9v) So thanks to Mondoman I think my machine is finally sqaured away.

Taoy,

I had my Crucial as high as 2.4v at stock FSB/Multiplier and it was still unstable as hell. My suggestion is to RMA that ram as fast as possible and get the Corsair 2g x 2 (4g) kit its cheaper and from everything I read should be more than fine at 440mhz 1:1 even though its rated at 800mhz.

I talked to Gigabyte and they ensured me that ram was fine in my board but after spending 7 days reading through pots on 50 different PC boards it very clear that DS3x boards and PC8500 Ballistix sticks have an issue. Even when I pulled out 2 sticks and ran 2x 1g I still couldnt get the machine stable at stock settings.
March 14, 2008 2:09:59 PM

Taoy,

Here's the link to the memory I'm running in my DS3R, haven't had a problem at 5-5-5-18 1.9v passed prime for 24 hours 100% on both cores @ stock settings for E8400..

I will add, my Crucial Ballistix sticks were hot to the touch at 2.2v, this Corsair memory is cold to the touch at 1.9v

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
March 16, 2008 2:34:33 PM

Good to know. I've raised the issue with Dabs in the UK - hopefully they'll let me RMA these as incompatible.
March 19, 2008 10:51:28 AM

Dabs suggested I contact Crucial, who say that they have sold this memory to work with a lot of gigabyte P35 systems, and that they are definitely compatible. I wonder what is going on then, because that is not our experience.

Joe
March 19, 2008 11:15:45 AM

Jeffro said:
Guys,

Looking for some serious help.. I'm at my wits end with some memory issues I appear to be having and I'm ready to throw my new PC out of the window. I'm running an E8400 on a Gigabyte P35-DS3R board with Crucial Ballistix PC8500 1066mhz memory. Not currently overclocked.

My PC is insanely unstable even idle, it will randomly BSOD then upon reboot just immediately BSOD over and over. I finally realized that the Gigabyte board have default memory voltage @ 1.8v so I changed the voltage to +0.4 and its now showing 2.2v which is what the memory requires. (Memory is rated at 5-5-5-15 @ 2.2v) The problem is, if I set the SPD to 1066 (3.2) with 5-5-5-15 the PC won't boot, if I change the timings to auto it will boot with 5-7-7-24 but is unstable.

I talked to Crucial today and they weren't much help, guy on live chat told me to drop it to 800mhz @ 5-5-5-15 which I've done currently.. PC seems OK but havent really messed with it much. (Showing 400mhz 5:6 @ 5-5-5-15 in CPU-Z)

I have to be honest, I'm not all that familiar with memory timings etc.. Looking for some advice to get this thing stable its driving me crazy. Does anyone have a BIOS screenshots of what the timings should be? Or any reccommendations? I've googled the problem and lots of people seem to have really funky memory issues with this board ram. Like I said, I'm at my wits in.. been trying to get it stable for a week with 3 new OS loads.

Thanks

Gig Boards don't read voltage right......add 6 or 7 instead of 4....I would try 7 first...and don't overclock afterwards....ballistix memory likes a little more power.....if that doesn't work......check your power supply....the current may not be stable........but you do have to up the power on the memory ok
Anonymous
March 19, 2008 11:23:21 AM

taoy said:
We are experiencing exactly the same problem with crucial ram,, (BL2KIT12864AA1066.000) 1066GHz 1gb memory sticks and Gigabyte P35-DS4 motherboards.

I have two motherboards, running Q6600/4 processors and 4 gb of the above memory in, and get periods of absolute stability followed by absolute memory errors in every stick (as reported by mem86+).

CPUID says that the memory voltage is 2.06v - do you think that raising that to 2.2 would fix the problems, or is it just that crucial have compatibility issues?

Our memory arrived at the end of february, but we have the same issues with a pair that was RMAd.

Can anyone recommend a replacement memory that is known to work with this motherboard?

Joe

If you are running at 1066 you are supposed to run that mem at 2.2v

If you are having problems with your crucial I heard that the new revision is really bat at anything over 800mhz. Its hit & miss with the new sticks that are out now.

Also check to see if your mem is single or double sided. The single sided sticks aren't performing as well as the double sided.

I just had a stick go bad after 3 months and it was a single sided (which I didn't know when I ordered it) so I am returning both for double sided (crucial support is VERY good imo)

Do MEM test on auto settings for your RAM before you do any overclocking and that will at least let you know if its a BAD stick or not. It just might be a stick or sticks that don't o/c very well.

March 19, 2008 11:35:25 AM

taoy said:

Joe

Add the +3 to your voltage and it should work much better like I quoted earlier....gig boards are not accurate with voltage and do the memory check on each stick like the other fella said also
March 19, 2008 4:57:51 PM

jackie, thanks for your post.. I actually did try my memory as high as +7 which would have put my Crucial sticks at 2.5v and my machine wouldnt even boot at stock timings (1066mhz 5-5-5-15 2T) I had to drop it down to 800mhz to get those timings.. its obvious there was something wrong with the ram. Even with voltages that high I couldnt run prime over 8 hours with stock settings.

I found ALOT of pots indicating similar problems with the Crucial 1066mhz sticks and P35 boards.. I dunno the right answer, but I can tell you I stuck 2g x 2 Corsair sticks in and prime passed no problems on the first boot.

One other thing, Crucial ram is hot as hell at those voltages.. my Corsair doesnt even get warm.. those crucial temps cant help
March 19, 2008 5:26:40 PM

Yes.....They do get hot......Glad you found a solution.....I'd sell the crucial that's for sure..
May 7, 2008 10:16:29 PM

Got the same board and RAM, found that the 3rd DDR2 slot (right yellow) would cause errors on MemTest86+ 2.01. It was also causing BSODS when installing XP. 0x00000024. I paired the ram in slots 2 and 4 and the system runs completely stable and MemTest flys through without a single error. I RMA'd the board and got a replacement. Still got the same problem. I got some cheapo DDR2 knocking around i'll test in the board in that slot to confirm if its the crucial or a manufacturing fault on the mobo. But looking at your recent posts, looks like crucial isnt the way to go.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 16, 2008 9:25:48 AM

Case: Antec Nine Hundred
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
RAM: Crucial BallistiX Tracer PC2-8500 4 GB KIT (4x1024)
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 (rev 1.0)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
Graficscard: MSI GeForce 8800 GTS 512 MB OC
Powersupply: OCZ GameXStream 700 Watt
Harddrive: Samsung SpinPoint T166 500 GB SATA
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9500LED

This is my setup and i have the exact same problems... Blue screen after Bluescreen after Bluescreen. I have reinstalled windows like 20 times to atleast make it work for a while and after a while something crashes and makes the computer not beeing able to boot 100%. I tried to remove 2 of the RAM chips so i had 2gb instead of 4gb. It was stable for some days and then it all began AGAIN. Please reply if you know what i gotta do.
!