Sign in with
Your question

120mm fan to replace PSU fan, best quality?

Last response: in Components
February 12, 2008 1:51:51 PM

Well my :pfff:  Coolermaster POS, I mean PSU has finally started going on the fritz. A whole month, I should have known better.

The fan is now making a grinding, oscillating, (bearing?) noise, so I'm looking for a good quality 120mm fan, it has to be standard thickness (25mm or ~1"). I can't be too disappointed, I wanted to replace this fan from the beginning. It's the loudest thing in there. The actual power from the unit seems quite good though, nice stable overclock.

Does anyone have experience with some quality 120mm fans, preferably without LEDs. Price doesn't matter so much just not outrageous.

12 volt, fairly high CFM to cool the PSU
February 12, 2008 3:18:57 PM

That second fan looks like it would work fine. Says it moves a lot of air.
Just my $.02
Related resources
February 12, 2008 4:20:49 PM

Also be sure you know what your doing and do not touch any capacitors or anything, take all safety precautions. DO NOT ground yourself!!!! In my job, I work on machines, and we have a lot of those emacs with built in CRT's in for repairs, one thing we have to do is discharge the crt. I know those PSU's can pack enough voltage to make you a crispy critter as well. Just dont use a wrist strap and take off any jewelry when you do it. If possible, make sure someone is near, and in the same room in case you start getting shocked. Probably unlikely, but I would not take the chance.
February 12, 2008 4:27:53 PM

yeah, I know those caps could possibly pack a whallop, It's probably not life threatening though huh?

Anyways, It looks pretty straightforward...the fan is mounted to the casing...on the underside of the PSU. It blows through the innards and out the back.
February 13, 2008 12:06:35 PM

I'll probably go with the Scythe....any other recommendations?
a b ) Power supply
February 13, 2008 2:03:23 PM

Just curious, why don't you RMA the PSU?
February 13, 2008 2:25:40 PM

Bought it at a CompUSA store that was going out of business... 35% off.
I guess I could take it up with CoolerMaster.

Works great other than the fan...I wouldn't have to be without a PC if I just replace it.
February 13, 2008 2:51:50 PM

Personally I would go with Yate Loon.

equal or slightly better quality than the scythe... but at 1/3 the price.
February 14, 2008 5:30:26 PM

if you replace the fan, then psu warranty is out of window.
what is your psu brand anyway?
most psu fan are thermal control, I suggest you open the psu and find out what kind of connecter, you may need to have thermal control fan.
most psu circuit has the bleeding resistor, it will drain the charge.
February 14, 2008 5:45:58 PM

Its a CoolerMaster 600W

I'll probably open it up tonight, I don't think I really care about the warranty. As far as connectors...I plan to just splice wires.
February 15, 2008 4:21:06 AM

PlasticSashimi said:
Bought it at a CompUSA store that was going out of business... 35% off.
I guess I could take it up with CoolerMaster.

TigerDirect bought out CompUSA (yes really). You could try taking it up with them.
February 15, 2008 4:57:49 AM

DirtyDrummer said:
TigerDirect bought out CompUSA (yes really). You could try taking it up with them.

Actually Systemax which owns Tiger Direct bought CompUSA. I bought my PSU when my local CompUSA was going out of business and the reciept had the all sales are final stamp on it and going out of business stamp so I don't think Systemax would honor the warranty but it doesn't hurt to try.
!