OC Q6600 on asus striker extreme

Nils

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
I have OC'ed my Q6600 to 3GHz on a ASUS striker extreme motherboard, but i am facing some little problems.

Every now and then the computer resets itself and just before that a blue, DOS-like screen for about a second with some text on it but i can't read it because it goes to fast.
Apart from that i am also getting some errors when trying to unpack some winrar archives.

Someone please help

prow

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
that sounds like your core voltage, it needs upping, i think. what is your bios set at for all voltages and others?

its a BSOD message from windows. In your bios, set whatever setting that deals with system errors from Restart to Halt so you can read the message.

It's probably instability due to too high of an overclock for the current voltages.

Nils

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008

i have set all voltages to auto except the cpu vtt voltage. that one i have set to 1.55 v because otherwise the pc already crashed when loading up the desktop. With the core voltage on auto, the mobo is setting it to 1.31v and i have already tried higher voltages to about 1.37v but this is the most stable one.

Nils

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
as a correction to my previous reply: i wanted to say that with the core voltage on auto, i have the most stable config.

PS: there is also another voltage: 1.2V ht i believe. what is that? Maybe that has something to do with it.

Nils

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008

There is indeed an option to halt on errors in the bios, but that only works for errors that occur during the post. I have that option set to on. So i think there is no way of halting on that message.

By the way, isn't that message what most OC'ers call 'bluesreening'?

Nils

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
i have run prime 95 blend testing on all four cores during a whole evening and night and didn't encounter any errors.

the winrar errors don't occur in all archives. i have some on my computer in which they happen and i use these ones for testing.

actually the comp is quite stable. it only crashed twise a week maybe. i just want to get rid of those small errors which are making it to crash now and then

prow

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
did you disable all the spread spectrum crap? TM function, C1E support, max CPUID value limit type stuff???