Crash Constatly with AMD Black Edition 5000 at 3.0ghz

CPU:AMD X2 5000 Black Edition 2.6ghz

Motherboard :BIOSTAR TA770 A2+

CPU Cooler:ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro

Thermal Paste : Zalman brand paste

I've read that I could overclock the AMD BE 5000 by just messing with the multiplier, So as soon as I got my new build ready I went into bios and set the multiplier to 15x..thats all I changed...and It would boot up and it seemed fine, but then I play Race Driver GRID and it crashes to desktop in like 2-3 minutes..I'd also have MSN Messenger turned on and it would crash that too so I had to set it back to 2.6 stock.. am I doing something wrong?
17 answers Last reply
More about crash constatly black edition 5000 0ghz
  1. Yes, you need to stress test the overclock to make sure it is stable.
  2. Increase Vcore.
  3. ya...run Prime95 to test you're rig...if it fails during the test...lower the OC...
  4. How long do I let prime95 run? and DO I do it while its at 3.0GHz? And Vcore? On my bios CPU voltage says [Startup] Then if I enter it it shows options like +0.025 +0.050...And stuff like that...What sounds reasonable to raise it by If I'm trying to get it at 3.0?
  5. well buddy i'm not a overclocking fan but u should increase the cpu voltage of also the RAM voltage. Don't overvoltage though

bdw whats the wattage or your powersupply?
  6. Rosewill 500 watt and I'm new to this do you know of a good place with an excellent Tutorial for all this stuff?
  7. hey buddy i think ur power supply is pretty low i think

can u post the full pc hardware e.g number of hard disks, video card etc

if u are willing to over clock heres a good link
    http://www.overclockers.com/
  8. CPU: AMD X2 5000 Black Edition 2.6ghz

Motherboard: BIOSTAR TA770 A2+ with PCI Express 2.0

Video Card: MSI ATi Radeon HD 3850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Overclocked Edition

CPU Cooler: ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro

RAM: OCZ Platinum Revision-2 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Dual Channel Memory (2 x 1024MB)

Hard Drive: Western Digital IDE 250GB Hard Drive

DVD/CD Burner: SATA 20X Lite-On DVD+R/RW

Power Supply: Rosewill 500 Watt PSU with alot of connections.

Case: Generic Black Mid-ATX with one fan for Hard Drive and one Exhaust.
  9. I have the same CPU. Since you only changed the multiplier, don't worry about the Memory voltage (you didn't change the memory speed). Just select the smallest cpu voltage increase you can, then run prime95 stress test for an hour or so. If it reports an error, try to increase the voltage again (though I don't think it will be necessary after the first increase). As always, monitor your cpu temp (do not trust core temp or hwmonitor as the temperature sensor in this chip seems to be broken as it reports temperatures that are insanely low or even negative sometimes), run core temp anyway, and run speedfan. The temperature that is the same in both is not to be trusted, but the temperature that jumps up the most when running the stress test is most likely your cpu temp.

In short, you do need to increase the core voltage if you are experiencing instability, but if your cpu temperature is high, then that itself might be the cause of some instability in which case, do not increase your cpu voltage.

Edit, I have the same cooler, so you're probably fine with just the smallest voltage step up.
  10. or,,you could set it at 14.5,run it for a while and go from there,,you should get the complete specs on your psu,you must be completely certain of your psu,no doubts whatsoever,it is the single most important part of any system,if it goes bad,,, in a bad way it can do a lot of serious damage..:>)
  11. And yeah I dont know what my CPU temp is exatcly I have Speedfan running but it never goes higher than 60 and never lower than 50 bios reads at 40 at bootup and I'll try it out right now.. So do the slightest CPU Voltage increase and have multiplier at 15x right? thats all I have to mess with?
  12. So I cant just set it at 3.0 I have to do it slowly step by step?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182044

thats the link to my power Supply
  13. Jeebuz91 said:
    Rosewill 500 watt and I'm new to this do you know of a good place with an excellent Tutorial for all this stuff?

First, ditch the Rosewill PSU. Those are very unreliable and can cause your computer to crash even at stock speeds. You don't need more power than 500wts, only reliable power. Look for something like an Antec 500 earthwatts or similar. Check out jonnyguru.com for PSU recommendations.

As everybody has said, increase the CPU voltage when overclocking. Otherwise you're starving the CPU for power and it will fail. I used to run my FX-60 at 1.4v, but you may get along fine at a lower voltage. As others mentioned, raise the overclock a bit, along with the voltage, and then test with prime95 for a couple hours. You may or may not have to raise the ram voltage. I had to with both the Corsair and the OCZ that I've used in a couple computers, but not in others. But the CPU voltage is a must to be raised.
  14. Ok Thank you I will try it right now and I'll post my results after an hour of prime95. And Can I run background apps while having prime 95 running or not? And can I trust my Bios Temp readings if it says its at 40*C? or is that still a problem with DTS?
  15. Don't run anything extra while running prime95. I generally use Speedfan to monitor temps. CPU temp can run up to 55c without problem, maybe a bit higher, though I try to keep the CPU cooler than that.
  16. I have almost the same set-up-but I'm using a gigabyte motherboard and a Raidmax psu-I have no problem oc'ing mine with just the multplier-http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=404498
  17. @ Jeebuz91 I've got the 5400+ BE but the 5000+ BE should be able to reach 3.2G but it will take a significant V-Core increase to get there and some seriously good cooling.

From my AMD OCing experiences of CPUs with unlocked Multipliers including the 939 FX57, and the FX60 I've always left the FSB and HT on its default settings and most times the memory was at its default voltage.

You can get some superb OCs leaving all the other settings stock, AMD CPUs with unlocked multipliers do not like the FSB being raised, if you lower the Multiplier you can raise the FSB, but if you raise the multiplier past its default settings and then increase the FSB, it will crash every time.

The best route to take is the testing route and start by raising the multi from 13x to 14x and creep up V-Core setting, 1 setting at the time until you find the V-core setting sweet spot and record those settings, and just because it will boot into Windows doesn't mean squat, I've always found if you can successfully run 3D mark 03 to completion, you're in the ballpark.

Then go to a 15x and resume testing again, keeping a watchful eye on the CPU temperature and continue to 16x, recording your successful settings, then if for some reason you have to drop back to a lower setting, you have the voltages recorded to run at.

This is based on my own successful OCs with AMD CPUs that have unlocked multipliers, and I've basically followed these same guidelines for every one of them, so far the 5400+ BE has turned out to be the best OCer of all, so I'm confident you can get some good OCing out of the 5000+.
Ask a new question

Read More

AMD Cooling CPUs Overclocking Product