Your question

EU regulators Raid Intel in Germany!

Last response: in CPUs
February 12, 2008 5:50:25 PM

Raided for Anti-trust, shocking news….Shame on Intel, shame on them

Article Link found here:
http://finance.google.com/finance?q=intel&hl=en

Article:
http://money.cnn.com/2008/02/12/technology/eu_intel.ap/...

Article Quotes:

[Quotes]
BRUSSELS, Belgium (AP) -- European Union antitrust regulators raided Intel Corp. and computer retailers on Tuesday searching for evidence that the companies may have broken rules to assure competition in the market for computer chips, the European Commission said[/quote]

Quote:
The world's biggest chip maker is already facing formal EU charges of monopoly abuse for below-cost customer rebates and pricing that the EU says undercut smaller rival Advanced Micro Devices Inc

Quote:
The EU said the surprise inspections were a first step in its investigation -indicating it may be considering a new set of charges into separate allegations

Quote:
EU fines can go as high as 10% of a company's yearly global revenue. Last year, Intel's revenue amounted to $6.98 billion

Quote:
The EU first took formal moves against Intel last July - six years after it first started looking at the company - alleging that it gave "substantial rebates" to computer makers for buying most of their x86 central processing units, or CPUs, from Intel

Intel are being exposed for their Evil ways!

AMD the honest company! I will lead the AMD fans! AMD4Life!
February 12, 2008 7:21:12 PM

DELETED: TEMP BANNED

EVERYONE: REGARDLESS OF THE FACT THAT THUNDERMAN IS A TROLL, KEEP IT CLEAN AND ON TOPIC
February 12, 2008 8:21:21 PM

To OP...so what?
Related resources
February 12, 2008 8:54:39 PM

Quote:
Yeah also Tramsmeta just won $250million from Intel for copyright infringements, 11 of them to be exact. Now they are being sued by the UOW for the same thing. Wow, I guess its easy to win when you cheat. Now its time for them to pay for their evil stealing ways.

How's the E6300 treating you?
February 12, 2008 9:03:05 PM

Quote:
Yea.. December 23rd.. of course, there are other prophecies that have to come true first.

Why December 23rd? That's a horribly bad day for me. :cry:  Once on Dec. 23rd I was caught in a fire and burned badly. Another Dec 23rd I ended up in a hospital while in the Air Force. And on yet another Dec 23rd, my ex-wife ran off with another guy. Well, that wasn't quite so bad.

@Grimmy- Global cooling you call it? Don't know about that, but I got really tired of shoveling Gore's global warming (what other people call snow) off my driveway this year. After 4 weeks of that, it gets boring.
February 12, 2008 9:11:45 PM

sailer said:
@Grimmy- Global cooling you call it? Don't know about that, but I got really tired of shoveling Gore's global warming (what other people call snow) off my driveway this year. After 4 weeks of that, it gets boring.

Errr I didn't call it:

Solar Activity Diminishes; Researchers Predict Another Ice Age

Its what they call it. :lol: . o O (Global Cooling comes back in a big way)
February 12, 2008 9:12:22 PM

sailer said:
Why December 23rd? That's a horribly bad day for me. :cry:  Once on Dec. 23rd I was caught in a fire and burned badly. Another Dec 23rd I ended up in a hospital while in the Air Force. And on yet another Dec 23rd, my ex-wife ran off with another guy. Well, that wasn't quite so bad.

I always forget, it's actually the 21st.
February 12, 2008 9:12:52 PM

cnumartyr said:

Too funny!!

Yo, MsBiznatch, it's a little hard to take you seriously when you obviously consume products from a company that you so vehemently dispise. I know your kind. Your the type of person that complains about reliance on foreign oil, but protests drilling in ANWR as a temporary solution. You're the type that will complain about how bad things are in your country, but would never considering moving anwyere else. You're the type that will complain about the current administration, but won't vote to try and change it.

Yeah, I know your kind. At least BM was willing to make a stand and stick with it.
February 12, 2008 9:15:01 PM

cnumartyr said:
I always forget, it's actually the 21st.

Good thing for poor Sailer...at least that's one December 23rd he won't have to endure.

Feel for ya Sailer!
February 12, 2008 9:31:50 PM

Quote:
With AMD being subsidized by the German government, I'm sure Intel will get a fair hearing. :sarcastic:  :pfff: 

Given that one of the 25 judges at the EU court is a german, i suppose there's no way around it. Then again, the trial won't be held in germany anyway, well, unless you look at a map of '41.
a b à CPUs
February 12, 2008 10:03:23 PM

Fact Still Stands! (Its me and not turpit ;)  )

a b à CPUs
February 12, 2008 10:08:23 PM

(Pic previously posted by strangestranger)
February 12, 2008 10:33:41 PM

Just another money grab by the EU. Let's see, who can we extort money from next? Intel should pull out of their market and tell them to use the Phenom. They will come back crawling on their hands and knees.
February 12, 2008 10:34:30 PM

that's right zorg !
a b à CPUs
February 12, 2008 11:03:13 PM

boner said:
where do you find these funny pictures dude :lol: 

Google search from what I can remember and then re post it.
a b à CPUs
February 12, 2008 11:30:10 PM

^ :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
February 12, 2008 11:59:41 PM

Zorg said:
Just another money grab by the EU. Let's see, who can we extort money from next? Intel should pull out of their market and tell them to use the Phenom. They will come back crawling on their hands and knees.

It seems like everytime you look at the news the EU decide to take MSFT or some other US company to court. Both Intel and MSFT should pull all support from the EU, and stop marketing new products there. Too bad Bill Gates is such a nice guy, if it was me I would charge them an extra 50% duty and apply it to the trade deficit.

February 13, 2008 12:10:39 AM

Quote:

That's exactly what it is. The EU is the biggest farce in existence. All they want is more fines to line their pockets, and they don't give a damn whether Intel is actually guilty, nor did they care if Microsoft was actually guilty. They kept talking about Media Player being bundled? Since when has that been a problem? You can download a truckload of different media players that work perfect with any Microsoft OS and you don't even have to use Media Player. Just set your preferred media player's file associations. Microsoft even offered a version of their OS without the media player, and it bombed hard. I don't defend Microsoft because I'm some huge fan, but their case against them was beyond pathetic.

These pathetic bureaucrats just want money, and the funny thing is none of them were elected. They are self-appointed criminals.

Intel, Microsoft, and any other successful American company should pull out of the EU, and then we'll see them crying like babies. You notice they don't attack European companies with the same fervor, nor do they levy the huge fines.
February 13, 2008 12:33:48 AM

Hey guys, I'm glad I'm not the only one that sees this. It is blatant extortion. I can't believe the arrogance of these piss ant thieves.
February 13, 2008 12:47:05 AM

for every monopoly behavior intel has, amd looses money.
But if we sum all the money amd lost to this and return it to AMD, I cannot know if they would make better processors or not. I always support good CPU designs, but good CPU designs need big amounts of money, and in my opinion AMD doesn't seem to have enough to compete but I could be wrong.
February 13, 2008 1:04:34 AM

IMO they did a little too much Intell inside and got their hand caught in the cookie jar.
February 13, 2008 1:06:00 AM

Here is the cookie jar.
February 13, 2008 1:08:43 AM

This is just an investigation. The EU didn't find anything bad yet.

and It's not like intel is trying to crush AMD. They know they need the underdog so they don't have a monopoly. They even delayed quad-core penryns because of no competition.

But as much as I like intel and their products, I really think anything they are doing to hurt AMD should stop, bucause competition drives innovation, and AMD really needs all the money they can get.
February 13, 2008 1:22:28 AM

If you want to give money to AMD due to Intel's actions then fine. That's not what these bastards want, they want to extort the money for their own use. They should be ashamed of themselves.
February 13, 2008 1:56:14 AM

This is the thanks The United States gets for saving Europe in World War 1&2.
February 13, 2008 1:58:43 AM

Exactly.
February 13, 2008 6:23:24 AM

It's pretty simple. The rules are written down.
The EU is simply looking to see if Intel has played by the rules.
Any decision will be made public, and will include reasons for judgement.
Intel will have lots of chance for thier lawyers to show they have done nothing wrong.
If Intel is found to have breached thier anti-trust laws, the EU will most likely not even level enough of a fine to recover thier legal costs. It would make any AMD litigation a bit of a cake walk though.
At this point, there is no reason to jump to conclusions, the Union is just performing it's due diligence.
Really look what happened in Japan. Intel got "caught", but denied it, and promised not to do it again.
End of story.
February 13, 2008 7:23:56 AM

We will see what transpires, I will withhold judgment until then.
February 13, 2008 7:34:06 AM

vtr99 said:
It seems like everytime you look at the news the EU decide to take MSFT or some other US company to court. Both Intel and MSFT should pull all support from the EU, and stop marketing new products there. Too bad Bill Gates is such a nice guy, if it was me I would charge them an extra 50% duty and apply it to the trade deficit.

Ever seen the price we pay for kit and software over here!!!!!!

If I started on the EU some naughty words might slip out of my mouth and then I'll be banned for a day or two! They can all go camping on bareback mountain!

:fou: 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7233175.stm

A UK Independence Party activist has lost a legal challenge to the government over its refusal to hold a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty.

James Fenton, representing Mr Bower at Brighton County Court, said Labour's manifesto had created a "legitimate expectation" of a public vote.

Cecilia Ivimy, for the government, said: "A manifesto promise is incapable of giving rise to a legally binding contract with the electorate. It is a point which is so obvious that I don't want to labour it."

February 13, 2008 8:03:36 AM

Ahhhh, another Thunderman post... Life's little nuisances. Where's the darn fly swatter when I need one?

February 13, 2008 8:33:04 AM

God damn it, I hate when a thread goes off this way.
How from a Thunderman post, you guys end up bashing EU?
Look, if intel was doing something illegal, they should be punished no mater what. Keep in mind that other countries like China also have anti-trust suits against intel going on atm (THAT should give you some clues). EU is not trying to extort money, they just want to set things straigh unlike what goes on in the US, with lobbyists and tons of money changing hands. Oh, you might have saved us from WWII but if it wasn't for IBM, Coca cola and other american companies helping the Nazis for the sake of profit (and the fact that you stole nuclear tech from them), things would have been different. Read some history ppl, get educated. Also, I SO wish that AMD stops selling procs in the US and you get to buy CPUs 10 times the price they sell now.
WAKE UP DAMN IT!!!!
February 13, 2008 8:51:41 AM

Vokofpolisiekar said:
Yaaaaaawnnnnn...

Power off again?
February 13, 2008 8:58:05 AM

ZZZZzzzzzzzzz....

Nah, I prefer switching the light off and keeping my tinfoil cap on - I'm very wary of getting a mind probe or change of heart with regards to some senseless post over the EU frolicking in Intel's room.

February 13, 2008 9:04:27 AM

@ UncleDave: Nope, power is fine... Just got lost their reading through a mundane and asinine thread...

@ Blashyrkh: Thanx for the coffee, but I'm straight and made of wholewheat.
February 13, 2008 9:32:07 AM

blashyrkh said:
God damn it, I hate when a thread goes off this way.
How from a Thunderman post, you guys end up bashing EU?
Look, if intel was doing something illegal, they should be punished no mater what. Keep in mind that other countries like China also have anti-trust suits against intel going on atm (THAT should give you some clues). EU is not trying to extort money, they just want to set things straigh unlike what goes on in the US, with lobbyists and tons of money changing hands. Oh, you might have saved us from WWII but if it wasn't for IBM, Coca cola and other american companies helping the Nazis for the sake of profit (and the fact that you stole nuclear tech from them), things would have been different. Read some history ppl, get educated. Also, I SO wish that AMD stops selling procs in the US and you get to buy CPUs 10 times the price they sell now.
WAKE UP DAMN IT!!!!

Than I hope the EU bans Intel from Europe so you pay 10 times the price for an inferior product! :kaola: 

I'm not going to go into a tangent, but if in your mind the US is somehow responsible for WWII... yea.
February 13, 2008 9:40:38 AM

Lol, no! I'm not saying US is responsible for the war! JC!
Lets just keep to the issue at hand. I guess time will tell right? History is not written by the winners anymore.
a b à CPUs
February 13, 2008 10:23:14 AM

How are the temps going on them E8400's then??

Still at -20 degrees or around 85 now??

Do they go up and down or are they just stuck on a weird value?

Is it easy to fix or should you just return the cpu for a new one?

February 13, 2008 10:30:56 AM

Zorg said:
We will see what transpires, I will withhold judgment until then.

oh thank you oh exultet great one!
February 13, 2008 10:33:52 AM

This thread is worth it for the pictures on page 1, they make good backgrounds for my profile here at work.
February 13, 2008 10:37:50 AM

yea the do not feed the troll pic is quit funny
February 13, 2008 10:57:52 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Great. Whats that got to do with Intels cheating ways? They didnt come up with their own architecture, they stole their ideas from transmeta, universities, etc and they have shady business practices including illegal price rebates to keep oem's from selling AMD products. Can anyone say denial?

I actually think it has everything to do with rampant hypocrisy. You cry and complain every chance you get about how Intel sucks and AMD needs help. How Intel is shady and a cheating company.

Yet you have an overclocked Core 2 and obviously enjoy it. You benefit from the cheating and shady practices.

It has nothing to do with Intel, it has everything to do with people's view of you. All you do is complain about Intel and act like everyone should support AMD. Then you also have an nVidia card (which also has some very shady business practices) and an Intel Chipset.

It's ok, bite the hand that feeds.
February 13, 2008 11:03:56 AM

Quote:
I know what you mean, but if the US was just interested in saving it's own butt we wouldn't of prioritized the war in Europe over the Pacific war. Japan was a greater threat (at the time) than Germany was to US National Security yet the Pacific Campaign got jack compared to the backing of the European/African Campaigns.

We do agree the pendulum is way off now, however I am in no position to change that. I'd like to see a return to the Monroe Doctrine, unfortunately that no longer falls as a "conversative" as the Republican Agenda isn't quote that way.

Anyways, to the topic at hand, some people have stated it's a money grab by the EU.. I don't know enough about the EU to pass judgement. I do know that a United Europe bothers me.

Nah its not a money grab, considering it takes years to drag a case through to conclusion, and the sums demanded are chicken feed for either side. It's to make sure that intel (and microsoft) are brought to book and made to act like reputable companies, not involved in ANY KIND of malpractice. It might not be the scale of malpractice, just the sheer fact that intel and especially microsoft keep doing it. It's a 'who's-in-charge' argument, is it the eu or large companies? the eu wants it be known that it is infact itself.
February 13, 2008 11:33:57 AM

The EU is run by? Politicians, who? Raise taxes. I think theres been some tinkering by Intel, but just imagine this, what if they made their chips to work with only certain graphic cards? Oooops, thats nVidia. heheh neer mind...
!