Help choosing 4GB of Memory - 2x2GB or 4x1GB

This is going to be my new set up but I was wondering if anyone could had any suggestions on the best memory I could get for about $125 or less. I would like 4GB total so two 2GB sticks or four 1GB sticks would be fine. I will most likely be overclocking it so any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks! :sol:

Thermaltake ArmorPlus(Armor+) VH6000BWS Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower
EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
SLI - 2x BFG Tech BFGE88512GTSE GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
PC Power & Cooling S75QB EPS12V 750W Power Supply
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400
ASUS V-60 92mm Vapo Bearing CPU Cooler
Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM SATA 1.5Gb/s Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
LITE-ON 52X CD Burner Black ATAPI/E-IDE Model DH-52R2P-08
SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S203B
HT OMEGA STRIKER 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card
Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Home Premium
36 answers Last reply
More about help choosing memory 2x2gb 4x1gb
  1. 2x2GB.
  2. Usually, getting the juice through more sticks of ram cuts down on the over-clockability. If that is really true (seems to be from my systems), then I would go with 2X2. This any help?
  3. Dont know if that helped him, but it helped me! Thanks
  4. Dang it! This advice was not intended for you! Pay no attention to what was said here. Go buy a Dell. :) just kidding. What is your ram clocked at? 916 GHz!?!?!? Really?
  5. I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. I meant to ask for suggestions of actual RAM to get. Like what kits are best? Thanks for the replies though :)
  6. Its DDR2 ram. whats the budget, what clock speed you hoping to run with it?
  7. Id say no more than $125 and the higher the clock speed the better. I'm not gonna set a certain speed. I just wanna know what you think is the best for the price. Even if I keep it the memory at 800 MHz.
  8. I have the same motherboard and processor as you.

This is the memory that I have. There's a mail in rebate for it too, which is nice. I haven't had any problems with Corsair memory, but I also haven't overclocked anything yet either.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145176

There are so many manufacturers out there, you can search forever. I heard some people have issues with the OCZ memory with the 780i board, but then again there are others who don't seem to have any problems with them. Maybe check out the EVGA forums.
  9. Id Suggest Getting A 2x2GB Kit Of Something That Has A Good Balance Between Latency And Speed Id Recommend A DDR2 Kit Somwhere Between 1066 - 1200, With A CAS Of 4-5
  10. Ya, I thought about picking up that Corsair memory.

I was also looking at this Crucial too http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148183

Has anyone used this crucial before?
  11. Well I Myself Havent But Its A Company That Been Around, It Should Be Decent RAM
  12. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227278

The stuff OCs well past 1066mhz in pretty much every review, it wont do you wrong.
  13. Go with the Crucial. This is brand new memory and one the few, if any 2X2 kits with micron chips, I've been waiting for these and they are finally here.
  14. CRH that is like nearly the exact system I'm settling on building...although I'm kind of taking my time waiting to see what the 9800 higher-end stuff looks like.

Off topic question: How did you decide on that power supply? And will that fit in the ThermalTake Armor with it's funky side mounting power supply? And why are you confident that will be enough juice for that system with a little breathing room for possible GPU upgrades?
  15. Ya, I was thinking on waiting to check out the 9800 series cards since the 9600gt did so well. I might weight but my patience is getting low cause I've been waiting for a while to build this. I am confident in that power supply. I've done a lot of research and that seems to be one of the best out there. It supposedly rated lower than the power it can actually put out. I think it will be just fine for years to come. I don't see it having any problems fitting in that case. It goes in the top slot horizontally just like a lot of other cases.
  16. I'm not sure about the ArmorPlus, but with the Thermaltake Armor the PSU mounts sideways at the top. The know the badass Galaxy won't fit, but that sucker is too expensive and 1kW is a hell of a lot of power LOL. Just something you may want to double check.

The only downside I see to that power supply is that the cable is not modular...according to the quick research I did (AKA looked at pictures LOL). That's not really an issue though.
  17. Ya, If you look at the ArmorPlus, its horizontal, unlike the Armor which does mount vertically. I thought that was weird too. I really like the plus a lot better. I don't think I'll need 1kW power supply. Maybe for 2 9800GX2's but I still have high hopes for this power supply :)
  18. Okay, I've settled on the new Crucial 2x2GB [:thegreatgrapeape:6]

Thanks for all the replies!
  19. CRH how much does that cost? You are really helping me out...the basically 2 things I was unsure about were the PSU and RAM...I have to re-read this thread and see if that Crucial isn't too expensive. I will probably do some OCing as well, although likely not any extreme OCing (running air and not experienced with system OCing but am experienced with graphic card OCing).
  20. ddr2-800 is so cheap at the moment you can get 8gb (4x2gb). the big question is will the memory controller pull from 4 sticks at once or just pull from 2 sticks and piggyback the other 2 sticks? from what i understand is on intel boards it just pull channels a1 and b1 and piggyback channels a2 and b2. but, amd pulls from all 4 channels at once. as you can tell, if memory bandwidth is what you need then obviously 4 sticks on an amd board is the way to go. if your doing encoding then intel is what you want because the processor can't process as fast as the memory fed to it. to make a longer story short, 2x2gb on intel boards, 4x1gb on amd boards. but personally, id do 4x2gb on amd board. all this is with the assumption your using vista 64-bit.
  21. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146731

Below is my 2 cents and what I wrote on newegg. I dont know if anyone still cares, but I like this ram. It is serving me well so far.

Pros: Over-clocks. Stock DDR2 800 ram (like this is) runs at 400 MHz. I have mine at 510MHz. It might go further, but my CPU is maxed so I can't tell. I have my settings at 5-5-5-18 and 510MHz. Wow!

Cons: If your not smart and push on the heatsink, you can break them off.

Other Thoughts: Get this ram. Your overclock might vary from mine. Overclocks are never straight accross the board.
  22. Waspy, the Crucial is cheap. $110 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148183

I'm only gonna go with 4GB right now. I don't think anymore than that is really necessary right now. I can always buy another 2 sticks later on if I feel like it and pop them in.
  23. that crucial is not much different in price then the muskin. the mushkin has free shipping. the other doesnt
  24. you really should reconsider 4x2gb instead of 4x1gb. with vista 64-bit you can place an entire dvd rip in memory and encoded much faster than with just 4x1gb sticks. what i mean is with you will have at least 2 hdd accesses (actually you'll have 3 because your using 32-bit vista and 32-bit vista can't see more than 3gb of memory). witn vista 64-bit and 8gb of memory you'd be able to transcode a movie in about a 1/3 less time than if your constantly accessing the hard drive. you be able to transcode a 120 minute movie with nero recode in about 37 minutes on vista 64-bit and a q6600 processor. absolutely outstanding. just think of the possiblities...backing up 10 year collection of 4,000 dvd movies in less than three weeks, when before it took nearly 3 months. go 64-bit vista, any quadcore processor, 8gb of memory and never look back.
  25. hairycat101 said:
    Dang it! This advice was not intended for you! Pay no attention to what was said here. Go buy a Dell. :) just kidding. What is your ram clocked at? 916 GHz!?!?!? Really?

You know whats funny, before I read your reply, I had changed my signature/specs as I realized that I had it wrong. Then 916 was when i had my cpu at 3.2...... I recently went to 3.3 cuase I have a friend just buy a 3.2GHz cpu so I just had to beat him.... Silly, I know

I know I can get 3.6 out of it, but thats almost a 100% OC and it feels wrong in my soul...... dont know why.....
  26. I think I might have changed my mind. This memory seems really nice and runs at 4-4-4-12 at 2.1V.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16820145194
  27. Did you make a purchase of the Corsair stuff CRH?
  28. Not yet. I'm almost positive I will buy it soon though.
  29. i think i might go corsair as well.
  30. http://www.gskill.com/en/f2-6400cl4d-4gbpk.html
    4GB Dual Kit DDR2-800 F2-6400CL4D-4GBPK 4-4-4-12
  31. i meant crucial
  32. xringx said:
    You know whats funny, before I read your reply, I had changed my signature/specs as I realized that I had it wrong. Then 916 was when i had my cpu at 3.2...... I recently went to 3.3 cuase I have a friend just buy a 3.2GHz cpu so I just had to beat him.... Silly, I know

I know I can get 3.6 out of it, but thats almost a 100% OC and it feels wrong in my soul...... dont know why.....

still don't think that giga-hertz is the correct measure ;)
  33. Jpain said:
    http://www.gskill.com/en/f2-6400cl4d-4gbpk.html
    4GB Dual Kit DDR2-800 F2-6400CL4D-4GBPK 4-4-4-12

I tend to go with the G.Skill over the OCZ.
    The OCZ has issues with some MB's,voltage issues,the tall HS may forbid it's use with some coolers and it tends to sale for more.

Another good ram is Patriot which also imports and sales the chips for other companies to use for their own sticks.
  34. hairycat101 said:
    that crucial is not much different in price then the muskin. the mushkin has free shipping. the other doesnt

Ah... but the Crucial Ballastix are guaranteed to have D9 chips.
  35. Shadow703793 said:
    Ah... but the Crucial Ballastix are guaranteed to have D9 chips.

Fair enough. I am getting 510 MHz out of mine... DDR2 800 is supposed to run 400 MHz. I'm gettin a good OC out of mine. OCing is not gaurateed to be the same across the board though. What kind of chips do I have in mine? Any one know?
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory Product