3 Beep Non Post - HELP Please

fareedyomind

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
I updated my bios for my Intel 945gcz mobo a while back and added some new features.

Yesterday I decided to look into getting a little more speed from my RAM (pqi Turbo DDR2 2x1gb).

The bios had defaulted the RAM setting at default and was getting 667 at 5-5-5-5-5 or something like that.

Under the RAM settings, it gave me the option to change from Automatic to Aggressive. Of course I tried this and saved the changes and EXITED the BIOS.

As soon as the REBOOT hit, I got the dreaded 3 beeps instead of a POST. ITs not recognizing my RAM now at the aggressive settings and according to Intel, 3 beeps means 64k failure.

I know this would be fixed if I were able to reset the BIOS to default settings, but I am not able to do this.

ANY IDEAS?

Here is what I have done:
-Reseated the RAM in all different varied configs. Results = 3beep
-Unplugged, took out CMOS battery, overnight. REinstalled cmos battery, plugged back in, rebooted. REsults = 3beep
-Burned a cd with my BIOS recovery file from Intel. REsults = 3beep
-Removed JUMPER when I inserted CD rom and rebooted with BIOS recovery cd in drive. REsults = 3beep
Added info:
Pentium D 820
945gcz mobo
2x1gb pqi turbo 667/800
ati 1900gt
sb x-fi platinum
psu 800w kingwin mach1
2 x tsst dvd rom
(NO floppy access)
(no USB keys owned)

Any help to solve this would be excellent!!!
I am borrowing a buddies laptop to type this, but I am STRUGGLING without my own comp access.........

fareedyomind

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
Ill look it up again, but I dont have a CMOS clear button.
Intel shows to clear the CMOS for the 945gcz as unplugging and removing the CMOS battery.

Is there any other way?

Mondoman

Splendid
OK, I'm not familiar with Intel MBs, but most others have a jumper header that allows you to drain the CMOS power by installing a jumper for a few minutes.
I'd certainly also try booting with just one stick of RAM installed (try both sticks for this).

fareedyomind

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
Totally fixed!

Unbelievable. I didnt want to mention this before and sound like an idiot, but this happened before when I first installed the RAM, like 4 years ago.
Apparently when the RAM first went in, the mobo misconfigured it and threw it into 3 beeps.

I didnt have a JUMPER for some reason on that mobo, it was either lost in production or due to being GATEWAY OEM, maybe never included.

Because of this, I had to send the whole warrantied computer (minus the non-stock RAM) back to GATEWAY. As dumb as gateway was, they replaced the whole deal (mobo, ram, 2 dvd drives, fans, etc... that failed their testing).

Now, after reading a few google search forum answers and with MONDO's help, I cmos jumped and restored it back with no problems.

LOL - TOMS forum rules, thanks again!!!

p.s.
New processor and asus p5e mobo ordered for necessary upgrade.
ANy suggestions for changing the processor and mobo?
SHould I format the hard drive ahead of time and just reinstall windows or due hook the hard drive up to the new setup and fire it up?
WHats this about installing the chipset driverS? What does that mean, look for chipset driver for the Asus P5e for XP???