PCIe x16 to x1 Graphic card. the HARD way...

tormented1

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
Hello everybody.
I got a question (searched around couldn't find an answer).
I live in a country where I cannot get a PCIe X1 Graphics card, but plenty of x16 cheap cards
and the board I have got only 2 pcie X1 slots (the closed and the end kind )
I was wondering if I get a cheap pci X16 card and a Dremmel
and then make a small incision at the middle (at the end of the x1 port) of the card
and make sure no connection were crossed...
Do you think the card will work ? cause the duct tape trick is pretty much the same thing
only this is more .... Permanent...
I don't have access to any converters and I need it fast..

what do you think ?

Sounds interesting are we sure they don't operate different frequencies ?
Please let us know how it goes and we can add it to our list of crazy mods to recomend or not :??:
Got my fingers crossed for you good luck if you try to give it a go :sweat:
mactronix

SpudTECH

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006
[:mousemonkey:1] [:mousemonkey:1] [:mousemonkey:1] [:mousemonkey:1] [:mousemonkey:1]

This is about as funny as the call I got to replace a customers "cupholder" !!!!!!!

[:mousemonkey:1] [:mousemonkey:1]

Just get a new motherboard............. and save us the trouble of trying to diagnose the troubles that are going to happen with your square peg in a round hole.

(dremmel the pci tabs off...UNBELEABLE!!!! :ouch: )

Spudtech
Love the avatar :bounce: Rowdy roddy piper havent seen him for ages.

tormented1
Where do you live maybe someone will know of someone who will ship, if your really that stuck someone may even ship one to you.
Mactronix

SpudTECH

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006
Yea laddie! I would go the extra mile for ya! What your trying to do is not going to work... those tabs arn't there just for show.

I would ship the card ya need to ya if you were willing to buy it. I found this one:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161079

I live stateside though.

Mactronix:
Thanks! It took a while to figure out how I felt about the world and how to show it online....
some of us are real and others of us are Formaldihide faces.... Click on my sig line for a favorit clip.

wingless

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
Ummm, I hope you realize these guys are pulling your leg. DON'T DO IT, unless you have the funds to buy another card. This is not an experiment you want to try brotha...

SpudTECH

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006
Ummm, I hope you realize these guys are pulling your leg. DON'T DO IT, unless you have the funds to buy another card. This is not an experiment you want to try brotha...

Or a new entire computer.... if you send voltage through that you will fry your mobo and possably your prosessor from the errent current.

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
if you are extremely accurate, and don't usea dremel (use a accurate flie+ knife combo, i'm sure you could, i ahve seen people who tape u the edges of theirpci-e16 cards so they don't make contact so the run at slower speeds, i have also seen peoplewho just cut a nic out of the back of the slot. i wouldn't recommend doign this if you have as much knowledge of computers as i assume but if you are uite "computer savvy" you should be able to no problem.

tormented1

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008

Thanks for the offer and for anybody else that offered to ship it, but that's an overkill
that card cost more than the board!... I can get a new graphics card for 45$ us...
So... I think it's a better choice... and the board is under warranty...

My backup plan is to use a plain ol-PCI card...

runswindows95: I do have two pciex 16 Slots in there but they are occupied by RAID cards.

rammedstein: I'm pretty good with a dremmel... *starts dremmel*.. Now i will cut it....
OW MY FINGER.... somebody call an ambulance... I need ice...
But seriously I think I can do it... just need to take my brave pill..

tormented1

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008

No can do, I need raid 5 with 16 HardDrives each card.
It has PCiex 8 connector.
Went with a SLI board, much cheaper than server or worksatation
board.

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004

Well the normal SLI boards have 3x PCI-E16 slots..?

Maybe you would like one of those?

TRENDING THREADS