Sappers

Oh... THAT'S why you don't take on Sappers, even those within your level
range.

I almost got the SOB, though. 41 Sapper and 41 Lieutenant; fired up the
toggles and went in on the Sapper hard. Had him down to a sliver of HP when
he got the drain field on me, and that (after a few moments of agony) was
that.

Man, I love Rise of the Phoenix, especially with some damage slotting.
Rose, blew the Sapper to his destiny, and finished off the looie. The debt
was worth it.

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 29 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 21:05:23 -0000, Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:

> Man, I love Rise of the Phoenix, especially with some damage
> slotting. Rose, blew the Sapper to his destiny, and finished off
> the looie. The debt was worth it.

As a Fire Tanker, when I'm taking on Sappers, I carry a bunch of
purples (Lucks) with me. I find that even taking one 25% Luck before
going into battle (on top of the Weave and Combat Jumping) makes it
likely I can put enough hurt down on even an orange or red Sapper to
take him out before he manages to get a good hit in on me.

And I always, *always* hit Sappers first.

The only time I really have trouble is when I have to take on two or
more sappers at a time.

--
Chris Meadows aka | Homepage: http://www.terrania.us
Robotech_Master |

Robotech_Master <robotech@eyrie.org> wrote:
> As a Fire Tanker, when I'm taking on Sappers, I carry a bunch of
> purples (Lucks) with me. I find that even taking one 25% Luck before
> going into battle (on top of the Weave and Combat Jumping) makes it
> likely I can put enough hurt down on even an orange or red Sapper to
> take him out before he manages to get a good hit in on me.

This was a purple; I don't see how a Luck can help against what appears
to be an End-draining hold. Do Break Free insps help?

As I said, I got real, real close before he locked me down.

> And I always, *always* hit Sappers first.

I can see that as a good rule.

> The only time I really have trouble is when I have to take on two or
> more sappers at a time.

Yeah - ditto for two Sorcerers, two Communication Officers, two Death
Mages...

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 29 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
-= RorShok: Level 18 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M =-
-= R A Heinlein: Level 18 Science Controller, Ill/Rad, M =-
-= Always looking for reliable teammates - look me up! =-
-= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/ =-
-= The Keybind & Macro Guide is now available! =-

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 01:50:14 -0000, Shenanigunner
<shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:

> This was a purple; I don't see how a Luck can help against what
> appears to be an End-draining hold. Do Break Free insps help?

Lucks make it harder for them to hit you.

They can't hurt you if they can't hit you. (The Super Reflex
scrapper's creed, but a Luck makes you a mini-super-reflex-scrapper
for a minute or so.)

--
Chris Meadows aka | Homepage: http://www.terrania.us
Robotech_Master |
robotech@eyrie.org | Earn a free iPod and a free Mac Mini!
| http://www.terrania.us/conga.html

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 01:39:23 GMT, Robotech_Master <robotech@eyrie.org>
scribed into the ether:

>On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 21:05:23 -0000, Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:
>
>> Man, I love Rise of the Phoenix, especially with some damage
>> slotting. Rose, blew the Sapper to his destiny, and finished off
>> the looie. The debt was worth it.
>
>As a Fire Tanker, when I'm taking on Sappers,

As a Dark Armor scrapper, I walk up to Sappers and do various /dance emotes
at them while they try to hurt me. Then I turn on Oppressive Gloom and make
them stagger around like morons while I /dance at them some more.

It almost makes up for all the bullshit I have to put up with in the
set...almost.

Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote in

> Oh... THAT'S why you don't take on Sappers, even those within your
> level range.

Another reason why my scrapper picked up teleport foe instead of
taunt/challenge.

Target him, move around a corner, grab him and make quick work of him.

Even when they conn'd red and purple, as minion, the teleport foe has a
very good chance of plucking him out of the group.

The bad times occur when there are two of them, and he notices his buddy
missing. :)

J Anlee <JanLee@ameritech.net> wrote:
>> Oh... THAT'S why you don't take on Sappers, even those within your
>> level range.

> Another reason why my scrapper picked up teleport foe instead of
> taunt/challenge.

I have TP Foe. Problem with +3-4s is that it either doesn't work or
aggros the whole pack. It's been lovely for minions up to +2, though, to
thin the herd before going in after the boss.

Problem on PI is that twice now I've thinned the sideboys of a Fake
Nemesis, only to have somebody come along and take out the solo FN while
I'm still over at teleport range or resting up to take him. Can't really
call it kill-stealing, since I'm nowhere to be seen, but it's a pain in
the AS.

--

"Shenanigunner" <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote in message
> Robotech_Master <robotech@eyrie.org> wrote:
>> As a Fire Tanker, when I'm taking on Sappers, I carry a bunch of
>> purples (Lucks) with me. I find that even taking one 25% Luck before
>> going into battle (on top of the Weave and Combat Jumping) makes it
>> likely I can put enough hurt down on even an orange or red Sapper to
>> take him out before he manages to get a good hit in on me.
>
> This was a purple; I don't see how a Luck can help against what appears
> to be an End-draining hold. Do Break Free insps help?
>
> As I said, I got real, real close before he locked me down.
>
>> And I always, *always* hit Sappers first.
>
> I can see that as a good rule.
>
>> The only time I really have trouble is when I have to take on two or
>> more sappers at a time.
>
> Yeah - ditto for two Sorcerers, two Communication Officers, two Death
> Mages...

Consigieries...

--
John Trauger,
Vorlonagent

"Methane martini.
Shaken, not stirred."

chat: @vorlonagent

Vorlonagent (M), level 27 Blaster (Electric/Energy), Guardian
RolIing Thunder (F), Level 24 Defender (Storm/Electric), Infinity
NightfalI (M), Level 18 Defender (Dark/Dark), Pinnacle
Steel Night (M), Level 18 Tanker (Invulnerable/Super-Strength), Virtue
MC-2 (F), Level 16 Blaster (Force/Fire), Protector
lmpact (F), Level 16 Blaster (Gun/Energy), Virtue

>J Anlee <JanLee@ameritech.net> wrote:
>>> Oh... THAT'S why you don't take on Sappers, even those within your
>>> level range.
>
>> Another reason why my scrapper picked up teleport foe instead of
>> taunt/challenge.
>
> I have TP Foe. Problem with +3-4s is that it either doesn't work or
> aggros the whole pack. It's been lovely for minions up to +2, though, to
> thin the herd before going in after the boss.
>
> Problem on PI is that twice now I've thinned the sideboys of a Fake
> Nemesis, only to have somebody come along and take out the solo FN while
> I'm still over at teleport range or resting up to take him. Can't really
> call it kill-stealing, since I'm nowhere to be seen, but it's a pain in
> the AS.

That happened to my mind-controller too. I've been standing off, getting a
mob to fight amongst itself until I could dive in and take them, then
somebody else comes along and decides it's lunch time.

And I WAS visible in the area, too.

--

"Vorlonagent" <jt@otfresno.com> wrote:
>>> The only time I really have trouble is when I have to take on two or
>>> more sappers at a time.

>> Yeah - ditto for two Sorcerers, two Communication Officers, two Death
>> Mages...

> Consigieries...

Ahhh! Ahhh! AHHHH!

I stop and pound green and gray Consiglieres JUST CUZ.

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 29 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
-= RorShok: Level 18 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M =-
-= R A Heinlein: Level 18 Science Controller, Ill/Rad, M =-
-= Always looking for reliable teammates - look me up! =-
-= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/ =-
-= The Keybind & Macro Guide is now available! =-

Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> looked up from reading the
say:

>Robotech_Master <robotech@eyrie.org> wrote:
>> As a Fire Tanker, when I'm taking on Sappers, I carry a bunch of
>> purples (Lucks) with me. I find that even taking one 25% Luck before
>> going into battle (on top of the Weave and Combat Jumping) makes it
>> likely I can put enough hurt down on even an orange or red Sapper to
>> take him out before he manages to get a good hit in on me.
>
>This was a purple; I don't see how a Luck can help against what >appears to be an End-draining hold. Do Break Free insps help?

If one luck won't do it, take 2 or 3 or...

Critters like sappers are why Air Superiority is one of my favorite
attacks for a melee character. They can't hold you if they're lying
down - well not usually anyway.
They're also a good use of the cryo pistol, if you have it, or the temp
beanbag gun if you have it.

>As I said, I got real, real close before he locked me down.
>
>> And I always, *always* hit Sappers first.
>
>I can see that as a good rule.
>
>> The only time I really have trouble is when I have to take on two or
>> more sappers at a time.
>
>Yeah - ditto for two Sorcerers, two Communication Officers, two Death
>Mages...

Try what I saw back in I2 with my regenner (who thankfully HAD taken the
"useless" MoG power). Walked round a corner only to find _6_ Sappers -
multiple groups clustered close enough that they all activated.

That was an extremely hectic time, trying to kill them before MoG wore
off while at the same time not letting the damn Titans hurt me too bad
(since I was at 10% hp and no regen).

Xocyll

Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
> If one luck won't do it, take 2 or 3 or...
>
> Critters like sappers are why Air Superiority is one of my favorite
> attacks for a melee character. They can't hold you if they're lying
> down - well not usually anyway.
> They're also a good use of the cryo pistol, if you have it, or the
> temp beanbag gun if you have it.

Yeah, I didn't think of my few stun weapons. At least two of my main SS
attacks are knockdown/disorient - Knockout Blow beats AS in almost every
way - and that's how I got the SOB almost defeated. But I have some
leftover beanbags and the (otherwise useless) Crey pistol - I'll keep a
stun attack in mind next time.

For one thing, it was the first time I've seen a 41 Sapper - most of the
Malta group foes on PI are 43 and up, and I've only picked and sniped at
small groups. But two 41s - looked dead easy. Was, not counting the
defeat in the middle.

(BTW, I wouldn't give up AS on my controller fer nuthin'.)

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 29 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
-= RorShok: Level 18 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M =-
-= R A Heinlein: Level 18 Science Controller, Ill/Rad, M =-
-= Always looking for reliable teammates - look me up! =-
-= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/ =-
-= The Keybind & Macro Guide is now available! =-

Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> looked up from reading the
say:

>Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
>> If one luck won't do it, take 2 or 3 or...
>>
>> Critters like sappers are why Air Superiority is one of my favorite
>> attacks for a melee character. They can't hold you if they're lying
>> down - well not usually anyway.
>> They're also a good use of the cryo pistol, if you have it, or the
>> temp beanbag gun if you have it.
>
>Yeah, I didn't think of my few stun weapons. At least two of my main SS
>attacks are knockdown/disorient - Knockout Blow beats AS in almost every
>way - and that's how I got the SOB almost defeated. But I have some
>leftover beanbags and the (otherwise useless) Crey pistol - I'll keep a
>stun attack in mind next time.

Unless they've made recent changes to it though, AS is pretty much a
guaranteed knockdown with every hit if timed right, that puts it higher
than any other similar power in my book, since most primary/secondary
powers only have a chance to do their status effect.

That's probably why AS is one of the very few, if not the only, attack
power that can't take recharge reducers.

It would be sick with 6 recharges and hasten. :)

>For one thing, it was the first time I've seen a 41 Sapper - most of the
>Malta group foes on PI are 43 and up, and I've only picked and sniped at
>small groups. But two 41s - looked dead easy. Was, not counting the
>defeat in the middle.
>
>(BTW, I wouldn't give up AS on my controller fer nuthin'.)

Yeah, once you've used it, it's damn hard to give it up.

Xocyll

Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
>> (BTW, I wouldn't give up AS on my controller fer nuthin'.)

> Yeah, once you've used it, it's damn hard to give it up.

It seems to be the only really powerful pool attack available by itself for
controllers and defenders.

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 29 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
-= RorShok: Level 18 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M =-
-= R A Heinlein: Level 18 Science Controller, Ill/Rad, M =-
-= Always looking for reliable teammates - look me up! =-
-= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/ =-
-= The Keybind & Macro Guide is now available! =-

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 18:18:31 -0000, Shenanigunner
<shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:

>>> Yeah - ditto for two Sorcerers, two Communication Officers, two Death
>>> Mages...
>
>> Consigieries...
>
> Ahhh! Ahhh! AHHHH!
>
> I stop and pound green and gray Consiglieres JUST CUZ.

I like them. Not too tough and giving lots of xp and inf for the level.
Of course, I would not be so brave if there wasn't a kinetic defender
nearby. Increase Density takes very nicely care of such worries! ^_^

good sign." -G