hercules

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008
OK so I have a
Linksys WRT160N Ultra RangePlus Wireless-N Broadband Router with 4 Port switch
I was using a Compact wireless G usb adapter, I play games like cod4 ect and every minute or so i would get a 3 or 4 second lag out. very annoying.
So i bought the router mentioned above it is backwards capable with the G wireless. When I had the router and the G usb adapter working it would about the same as it used to be with my old adapter but my signal strength would fluctuate from 80 to 50 every few seconds, It wasn't very noticeable i could watch videos ect as they loaded didn't have to wait.

This is where it gets weird, I went out and bought
Linksys WMP300N Wireless Draft-N PCI Adapter
thinking it would help me get a more stable internet and reduce most of my lag N wireless was supposed to be the bee's nees. After installing the pci card I have noticed I have to wait when watching videos for them to load, and more importantly i lag every 1 second on cod4 the lag sign is constantly flashing on my screen. So whats the deal? can anyone help me?
Could it be the fact that I don't use the linksys software to manage my wireless i never used it for my ubs adapter. I used to use it on this very PC then one day the little icon vanished from my dash. I have re installed it twice now with no luck the software just isn't showing up on my pc i have looked through all my programs files. help me in anyway you can sorry for all my grammar problems!

G

As you've experienced similar problems with a range of equipment it may simply be a wireless issue. Scan for neighbouring wifi networks and choose a channel 5 stops from strongest neighbour.

Relocate cordless phone base, video sender etc away from router or computer.

Ultimately, wireless ain't the best for gaming anyway -- so if nothing helps look at wired networking solution (or perhaps mains plug adapters if you can bear the cost).

hercules

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008
Ok I do have another wireless signal showing up on my network how do I tell what channel it is? we don't have a cordless phone. Any idea why the software isnt working?

G

Normally the utilities which come with your wireless adapter should display the info you need -- if not try NetStumbler (free download, though it doesn't work with every adapter chipset)).

hercules

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008
Ok I am going to reword this not because I don't think you understand but because I have stumbles across more info. While watching pron... yes i know... I found a that the website kindly show my Kbps download rate it was changing from the 80's to the lower 10's every second. yet my wireless signal doesn't show this change as it happens to fast. This is why i get the lag symbol flash up ever second on cod. so now to the question how do i fix it?