Sign in with
Your question

expert help required

Last response: in Motherboards
March 8, 2008 8:33:53 PM

i have just instaled a q6600 go into an asus P5N-32-E SLI PLUS motherboard but cant get it to boot or post i think the bios is an early version ( not sure) i have connected the 8 pin atx power socket with only a 4 pin atx supply .. do i need to update the bios with a celeron cpu for example fitted first or do i need a full 8 pin 12v power supply ? i do get the hard drives to operate along with the cd roms but the speaker does not work nor the bottom case fan connection but the case fan works when connected to a 4 pin molex ... should i buy a 4 pin to 8 pin adapter or purchase a new psu complete with a 8 pin 12v connection? thanks in advance...thomas i forgot to add that the board was seconhand and was running a core2 6700..would i need to clear the cmos? also i have installed 3gb corsair xms800mhz with a 36gb raptor and a bfg 8600gts but a cheap 650 watt psu...

More about : expert required

March 8, 2008 9:36:00 PM

Replace PSU, only boot with 2Gig of ram, 1G if not dual channel.

CMOS should not have to be updated.

PS is an issue. There are 8 pins and you only power 4 of them? Hopefully the pinouts you plugged into were not all wrong and you broke something......
March 9, 2008 12:50:17 AM

Conumdrum said:
Replace PSU, only boot with 2Gig of ram, 1G if not dual channel.

CMOS should not have to be updated.

PS is an issue. There are 8 pins and you only power 4 of them? Hopefully the pinouts you plugged into were not all wrong and you broke something......

He got the board secondhand, yes it may be a PSU issue and it may not be. It's an older board, need to find if the bios version supports the Q6600. I'll bet it needs a bios flash. If the system powers up, I'd try the Celeron, flash the bios and try the Q6600. Yes clear the CMOS also.
Related resources
March 9, 2008 7:57:03 AM

THANKS GUYS INSTALLED AN OCZ STEALTH STREAM 600 WATT PSU WITH 8 PIN 12V ATX CONNECTION STILL NOTHING INSTALLED MY SONS D805 CPU , CHANGED THE MEMORY CONFIGERATIONS STILL NO JOY...I TRAWLED SOME OTHER FORUMS AND FOUND THIS ON THE ASUS FORUM ..... 1) You can unplug your power cable from PSU, and turn off PSU by the button/switch.

2) Remove ram chips from their slots, boot up with 1 first, then add the other(s).

3) Just after you push the on button and the screen stays black (but fans are still spinning etc.), push the reboot button and hold down 'insert' on your keyboard. This motherboard has a function to reboot the pc @ stock settings so you do not have to worry about CMOS battery. Hold that Insert button down until you hear you computer POST (normally 5 seconds or so).
Then go straight to BIOS and configure whatever you need.

Also change the Dimm/Ram voltage in BIOS to 1.9v as when its set to auto, the volts for your ram will be running around 1.7v which is normally less than the operating voltage of your ram.

Oh yes like I said, you must update your BIOS, the newer versions fix quite a few issues!
HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROCEDURE WORK FOR THEM???? MY KEYBOARD IS CONNECTED TO MY MOBO BY PS2 DONT THING THE POWER GETS THERE SHOULD I CHANGE IT TO A USB PORT? THANKS AGAIN..BTW BOUGHT A SECOND HAND EVGA 650I ULTRA BOARD AND THAT BOOTS NO PROBLEM....
March 9, 2008 8:38:43 AM

Have you manually reset the the BIOS? If not, do it and boot with one stick of RAM. No HD or DVD or headers plugged in except fans.
March 9, 2008 9:06:16 AM

thanks Zorg how do i manually reset the bios? as i cant get the board to post..
March 9, 2008 9:52:30 AM

tommyboy said:
thanks Zorg how do i manually reset the bios? as i cant get the board to post..
I assume you have the manual? If not you can download it here P5N32-E SLI Plus User's Manual for English Edtion(e2979) Right Click And Save Link As. On page 2-21 there are these instructions. One thing they forgot was to put the shorting strap back to the original position before you plug the power supply back in and reboot, typical.

March 9, 2008 11:07:17 AM

thanks again zorg i have move the jumper over but i dont seem to get any power to my keyboard to press the delete key when i restart the pc .. i am using a keyboard with a ps2 connection , will i need to use a keyboard with a usb connection for quicker response to boot up?
March 9, 2008 11:10:36 AM

No, the PS2 is the best one to use. Did you move the jumper back to it's original position?
March 9, 2008 11:23:46 AM

sure did zorg .. i get the keyboard to light up very briefly then seems to die...did you notice in my earlier entries about holding down the insert button on post .. have you heard this one before?
March 9, 2008 11:48:59 AM

the single stick of ram needs to be in the 4th slot not the frist.
March 9, 2008 12:20:29 PM

No but I have no first hand experience with the Asus mobos.

It appears that the BIOS changed from the B3 to G0 CPU steppings.

Core 2 Quad Q6600 (2.40GHz,1066FSB,L2:2X4MB,rev.B3,4 cores) ALL 0302

Core 2 Quad Q6600 (2.40GHz,1066FSB,L2:2X4MB,rev.G0,4 cores) ALL 0705

Oddly enough 0705 doesn't even seem to be offered. P5N32-E SLI Plus BIOS Select your mobo and click on BIOS to see a revision list.

This was probably only having to do with the change in the Tjunction etc. that wouldn't affect the booting, although I can't be certain.

Do you know what the BIOS revision is? Do you have a Celeron handy to install to update the BIOS? There appears to be a lot of clean up being done through revision changes that could create boot problems.

If you stripped the mobo of everything (all drives etc.) except the the VGA and 1 stick of RAM and the Fan headers, then I am at a loss. Maybe try stan116's idea of slot 4. If that doesn't work try no RAM and see if there are any beeps. Other than that maybe you need to peruse the Asus forums to see what you can find.
March 9, 2008 12:21:51 PM

thanks for your imput too .. do you think it will boot with a quad q6600 installed or will i need to install a lesser cpu for example?
March 9, 2008 12:33:23 PM

thanks for your latest help zorg gunna try a celeron with one stick of ram in the 4th slot then see what happens will try and get the celeron on ebay .. dont want to pay out any more cash .. the evga motherboard is working fine ( i bought it secon hand really to see if the cpu was faulty ) but really wanted the asus operational ( preferred board ) if this dosent help gunna send the board back to asus i think....
March 9, 2008 1:06:41 PM

Good luck.
March 9, 2008 7:31:34 PM

Are you sure your second hand motherboard is good?
March 9, 2008 8:23:16 PM

WELL IVE NEVER SEEN SO MANY THREADS CONCERNING THIS MOTHERBOARD AND ITS LACK OF POST OR BOOT...SO HOPEFULLY COULD BE A QUIRK GOING TO INSTALL A CELERON AND INSTALL ONE COMPONANT AT A TIME , FIT THE RAM TO THE FORTH DIMM SLOT .. MY EVGA BOARD WORKS FINE THOUGH SO MAY HAVE TO KEEP THAT ONE BUT ENCODING TIME SEEMS SLOWER THAN WITH MY AMD 4400 939 WHICH IN USING NOW..VERY CONFUSED...
March 9, 2008 9:46:20 PM

Yeah, I saw a lot of boot problems with the Asus. Maybe drop ~$100 on a Gigabyte P35 and move on.
March 10, 2008 2:15:36 AM

QUIT USING CAPS.It's like being yelled at.
March 10, 2008 3:43:14 AM

I DON'T THINK HE WAS YELLING AT US, MORE JUST YELLING IN GENERAL.

CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW? :lol: 

Damn, now my ears are ringing.
March 10, 2008 5:09:33 AM

buy new PSU dont use ordinary ones in Quad Core rigs if it boots it will make it unstable.
March 10, 2008 5:47:49 AM

Pogsnet, that post barely made any sense...
March 10, 2008 6:17:54 AM

Barely? It made no sense at all.
March 10, 2008 6:18:49 AM

just bough a ocz 600 stealth stream 600 watt psu...should be more than capable...
March 10, 2008 3:46:27 PM

He must not have read your post. You could have gotten a bad mobo on ebay, maybe you should get a new cheap mobo like a P35 ds3l or something.
March 10, 2008 3:57:06 PM

the second board i bought the evga 650i ultra works fine ( i only really bought to check if the cpu was faulty ) but is not my preferred board i would like the asus up and running , if not i will use the evga on another project and i will purchase the gigabyte .. just wanted a nvidia board to match my bfg 8600gts ( didnt want any compatability issues with the grafix card...
March 10, 2008 8:16:58 PM

There are no compatibility problems with the P35 and the Nvidia cards. The only reason for the Nvidia chipset is to enable SLI. Other than that there is no reason for it IMO.
!