Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Former Inquirer Editors Abadon Ship... to TGdaily

Last response: in CPUs
February 12, 2008 9:49:42 PM

http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/02/12/former_inquirer_...

Quote:

Two snarky Inquirer editors have fled their European oppressors and have joined TG Daily to form the unholy Trinity. Both are known for their humor and have given corporate titans ulcers with their take-no-prisoners style of writing. We give a warm welcome to Charlie Demerjian and Theo Valich. Time for us to buy a flame-proof suit.

Why would THG do that? :sarcastic:  :sarcastic: 
February 13, 2008 8:32:43 AM

Here's the bonehead award for the dumbest decision this year.. :wahoo: 

February 13, 2008 9:46:13 AM

What a great addition to THG! Now i don't have to read posts linking the inquirer in the forum anymore as those articles will be on the front page.

While the thg articles were a little sub par compared to older articles, they have steadily improved during the last months. The quality of the inquirer articles is well known to be abyssmal. They contain mostly speculation and rumors and even the wording and writing style of those predictions are below the standard of some backwater propaganda magazines.
I can't really see what the decision to hire inquirer personel is based on. It will damage THGs reputation and, if those editors stick to their inquirer style, ruin it even more once they start doing their "job".
While i hope for the best and am willing to give them a chance, i would really like to know what THG plans to do? Will there be a new section next to "games", "reviews", etc, called "the eightball"? Will THG get a total overhaul and turn into something like fudzilla? Or will the new editors try themself at serious journalism?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b à CPUs
February 13, 2008 10:17:29 AM

Charlie and Theo are good operators ... WELCOME GUYS !!

Slobogob said:

"What a great addition to THG! Now i don't have to read posts linking the inquirer in the forum anymore as those articles will be on the front page".

They write short and funny articles ... I repeat ... they write short and funny articles.

Charlie also has a nasty side ... ask him what he thinks about gaming laptops for one ... be prepared !!

Theo's reviews are short and sweet !!

Lets see how they go and give them the benefit of the doubt eh?

February 13, 2008 10:26:38 AM

If something ain't broke, why fix it?

If something is semi broken, why stuff it up more?
February 13, 2008 10:54:25 AM

Reynod said:

That's what i will do.

Upon checking past articles by Mr. Valich, it seems he is indeed capable of producing worthwhile articles. With a little help his work might even be considered professional. I hope THG will provide that. As for Mr. Demerijan i'm not so sure. Some of his articles are heavily opinionated and reek of bias. While any author is entitled to his opinion it should be limited to a section after the conclusion - at least that's what i was taught.
February 13, 2008 12:17:03 PM

"...The quality of the inquirer articles is well known to be abyssmal. They contain mostly speculation and rumors and even the wording and writing style of those predictions are below the standard of some backwater propaganda magazines.
I can't really see what the decision to hire inquirer personel is based on. It will damage THGs reputation and, if those editors stick to their inquirer style, ruin it even more once they start doing their "job". ..."

That is absolutely what I was thinking. We will have to be very careful from now on in what we can believe and what not.

If those new guys don't adapt their style it's byebye toms...
February 13, 2008 12:47:09 PM

Theo and Charlie are probably the two most sub-par journalist that are notorious for their inability to provide accurate information.

Theo: Reverse Hyperthreading

Charlie: AMD B2 revision in 3.0Ghz, 30,000k in 3DMark06

TBH, how low can THG sink?
February 13, 2008 1:10:34 PM

Reynod said:
Charlie and Theo are good operators ... WELCOME GUYS !!

Slobogob said:

"What a great addition to THG! Now i don't have to read posts linking the inquirer in the forum anymore as those articles will be on the front page".

They write short and funny articles ... I repeat ... they write short and funny articles.

Charlie also has a nasty side ... ask him what he thinks about gaming laptops for one ... be prepared !!

Theo's reviews are short and sweet !!

Charlie is an ignorant imbecile who wouldnt know what a CPU was is it was shoved up his behind. His reputation, outside the Horde and horde cliques who love him since he himself is an AMD fanboy, is that of fallacious supposition. His only purposes are sensationalism and promotion of his opinions with absolutle disregard for any facts which contradict his opinion. His employment is a clear signal of the direction that BoM wants to take Toms - all advertising, all the the time, with no care for accuracy.

The reasons his reviews are "short and sweet" is that they refelect charlies intelectual capacity - short. While thats great for the brainless consumer (bovine), for people who actually want to know what they are getting for their money, those reviews amount to little more than paid adverts.
February 13, 2008 1:13:00 PM

The real question is, will the word "vole" be banned by THG?
February 13, 2008 1:17:17 PM

bberson said:
The real question is, will the word "vole" be banned by THG?

Not sure, but I'm sure even the "chipzilla" probably will soon regard THG has a joke site.
February 13, 2008 2:17:43 PM

Uh Oh..... This is going to be very controversial. I see dark clouds rising on the horinzon.

[prepares a longdrink and a comfy chair to watch the spectacle...]
February 13, 2008 8:38:03 PM

Two words:

Reverse Hyperthreading

And two more:

Epic Fail
February 13, 2008 9:24:07 PM

Slobogob said:
Well, here's the first article by Mr. Demerjian.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/02/13/amd_s_crossfirex_details_leak_out/

The articles contains more bias and opinionated information than actual facts. It's nothing better (or worse) than an average inquirer news story.

I read that article earlier. Boring,...nothing new, very biased, less meaningfull and longlasting than a whalespout. Wake me up when something worthwhile comes along. :sleep: 
February 13, 2008 10:04:43 PM

Someone at THG isn't thinking. I see another wave of deserters in the works. I hope it doesn't come to that.
February 13, 2008 10:21:34 PM

The use of Spell Check will be required?
February 13, 2008 10:30:41 PM

<me> Starts trying to decide which site to flee to </me>
February 13, 2008 10:47:43 PM

Quote:
god, and i thought turpit was joking when he mentioned this. why in hell would you hire two "editors" from something that is ridiculed? even the kindest words you hear about the inq is that there is a 50/50 chance there is a grain of truth in something they report.

Im sorry SS. I didnt have the heart to respond and tell you I wasnt joking. That and I thought I was banned after my comments here and in the basement
February 13, 2008 10:50:53 PM

Zorg said:
Someone at THG isn't thinking. I see another wave of deserters in the works. I hope it doesn't come to that.

Man the lifeboats!!! :whistle:  We're not deserters, we just don't want to go down with the ship. :kaola: 
February 13, 2008 11:14:38 PM

Slobogob said:
Well, here's the first article by Mr. Demerjian.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/02/13/amd_s_crossfirex_details_leak_out/

The articles contains more bias and opinionated information than actual facts. It's nothing better (or worse) than an average inquirer news story.

ah, you beat me to it. What a joke. WHAT ARE YOU THINKING THG?!?! I've worked very hard to never read the garbage they post over there. Now Tom's is throws this $hit right in my face without any warning! Seriously I hope Tom's readers make enough of a stink about this to make them regret it. I would have been open to the idea of giving these monkeys a chance but that "article" caught me like a dog fart.
February 13, 2008 11:48:29 PM

Hey, at least he doesn't like Vista. :kaola:  :lol: 
February 13, 2008 11:53:51 PM

At least not until MS throws a little $/gifts his way.
February 13, 2008 11:57:08 PM

:lol:  :lol: 
February 14, 2008 12:17:33 AM

Guys, even though I dont have the authority to appologize......Im just sorry.
a b à CPUs
February 14, 2008 12:37:58 AM

^ turpit, can mods get baned too?!?
a b à CPUs
February 14, 2008 12:47:43 AM

turpit said:
Guys, even though I dont have the authority to appologize......Im just sorry.

I really don't understand how you can not have the authority to apologise.
February 14, 2008 12:50:55 AM

Wow, a lot of polar reactions. I thought it was a joke too actually. I have faith in TG to bring out the best in them but I wonder how much luggage will come from their burned bridges. IE I hope TG's relation with NV doesn't go down a notch.
a b à CPUs
February 14, 2008 12:53:19 AM

Well that first article by Charlie gives the indication that THG isn't bringing out anything, and is instead letting them run free. Catalyst 8.03?
February 14, 2008 12:56:24 AM

That is really funny because I read that today not making note of the author and was thinking it was pretty opinionated. Hmm...this will get interesting.
February 14, 2008 12:56:57 AM

randomizer said:
Well that first article by Charlie gives the indication that THG isn't bringing out anything

Sure its bringing out something,....the garbage. :kaola: 
February 14, 2008 12:59:38 AM

Well, it looks like THG has a new NV hating rumor section now.
February 14, 2008 1:04:39 AM

SpinachEater said:
Well, it looks like THG has a new NV hating rumor section now.

"NV hating rumor section"? Does that mean someone hates Nevada, or that Nevada hates someone???

We don't hate in Nevada. When we have a problem with someone, we just get out a rope, find a tall tree with a convenient branch, a horse to put the subject upon, and, well, you can guess the rest.
February 14, 2008 1:06:12 AM

Wow.. that's.... such a pleasant way to deal with difference between people... :D ...
February 14, 2008 1:07:10 AM

I was quite fond of Nevada...but what you just said has me on the fence now...
February 14, 2008 1:09:50 AM

SO...how bout them Giants eh?
February 14, 2008 1:16:06 AM

Don't piss off the people in Nevada. What happens there stays there.
February 14, 2008 1:31:01 AM

Haha, true but scary now in that context...you shur gotta purty mouth...
February 14, 2008 1:32:43 AM

SpinachEater said:
I was quite fond of Nevada...but what you just said has me on the fence now...

Fences are kind of rare in Nevada. Most of it is still open range, which means the cattle have the right of way on the roads. But we do have plenty of delights that other states don't have. I mean, you go driving down the road, see a red light, and you know that if you stop, there will be some girl just waiting with open arms for you. How friendly is that, I might ask?

As for the Giants, they got lucky. But hey, sometimes luck is all you need. If the time their quarterback fumbled the ball and a Patriot landed on it first, they had lost the ball, the game could have gone the other way. But we'll never know cause that didn't happen. I do know that the local sports bookies really cleaned up that day.
February 14, 2008 1:38:12 AM

Zorg said:
Don't piss off the people in Nevada. What happens there stays there.

Yes it does, and we like it that way.
February 14, 2008 1:41:51 AM

How about complete, well worded sentences?

A little slop is allowed in forum talk. But in a prepared evaluation of a product I expect proper usage of the King's English.

Or the American verson.

In other words, this is the firetrucking internet, write so people can actually read the sheitt. Hells Bells, only a couple more electrons are needed to make clear thoughts.
February 14, 2008 1:44:31 AM

Zorg said:
Hey, at least he doesn't like Vista. :kaola:  :lol: 

Those childish comments bashing a product that failed to give him the proper kickback does not endear him to me.
February 14, 2008 1:47:01 AM

There goes the reliable news articles for this site... Where am I going to get all of my information now?
a b à CPUs
February 14, 2008 1:47:22 AM

Well he is an editor from the Inq, you can't expect alot, nor should you.
a b à CPUs
February 14, 2008 1:47:42 AM

starcraftfanatic said:
There goes the reliable news articles for this site... Where am I going to get all of my information now?

Fudzilla?
!