Sign in with
Your question

8600gts help

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 2, 2008 9:27:42 PM

my card seems to be runnign hot 55C. is this good or bad im using speed fan to monitor everything.

More about : 8600gts

a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
February 3, 2008 8:26:53 AM

idle or load ?
February 3, 2008 4:40:32 PM

idle. its always at 55C accodring to speed fan, and nvidia monitor.

Related resources
February 3, 2008 9:19:05 PM

Are you using the stock cooler?
What temperatures do you get at load?

February 3, 2008 9:31:09 PM

stock cooler and it always at 55C at load at idle and them soemtime it goes reall hot whiel running games
February 3, 2008 9:32:43 PM

55C for idle is okay. What you need to pay attention to is the load.

Get ATI tools and view 3d window for about 5mins. That's your load temp.
February 3, 2008 9:48:57 PM

I'd say anything under 85C for graphics cards is fine, especially if you have a SLI/Crossfire Setup.
February 3, 2008 9:51:52 PM

Quote:
stock cooler and it always at 55C at load at idle and them soemtime it goes reall hot whiel running games

That's what load means.
How hot does it get when running games?

February 3, 2008 9:53:01 PM

it hovered around 77C and highest was 79C but it errored for the 20 seconds getting all these bright yellow cubes somethign similiar to what i get wen playing stalker
February 3, 2008 10:05:36 PM

55C seems right to me. That's what mine does at idle. Near 80c after sessions of gaming.

Anything under 90C is what you want at load.
February 3, 2008 10:11:30 PM

Quote:
it hovered around 77C and highest was 79C but it errored for the 20 seconds getting all these bright yellow cubes somethign similiar to what i get wen playing stalker

Could you post a screenshot of this error you're talking about?
From the sounds of it, it might be artifacting, but you're description is not really clear.
80C doesn't seem exceptionally high for a graphics card, though.

February 3, 2008 10:25:25 PM

here are the yellow cubes. in stalker its lines or objects even npc that are all yellow
February 3, 2008 10:49:12 PM

jlpilkey said:
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n144/jlpilkey/yellow.jpg

here are the yellow cubes. in stalker its lines or objects even npc that are all yellow

That's called an artifact. It means you video card can't handle the clock speeds or it's overheating. I'd say it can't handle the clock speeds, so lower the settings down a bit. If you lower it below stock settings and the problem disappears, RMA the card.
February 3, 2008 10:56:46 PM

can you tell me how to do that ive never done any over clocking mostly out of fear that i woudl kill soemthing. any help would be nice
February 3, 2008 11:48:35 PM

Uh, running that program is exactly what you are doing, overclocking it. That program steadily overclocks your GPU. You watch it and when it starts artifacting like it's doing, the program has pushed your GPU beyond it's limit.
Do you not see that the core speed of your GPU is overclocked in that snapshot to 824Mhz, and the default core speed is supposed to be 720?
February 4, 2008 12:04:04 AM

goes to show how much i know about overclocking. but one thing mentioned i get "artifacting" in stalker is there a way to fix that liek clocking it a bit lower it gettign kind of annoying.
February 4, 2008 12:12:04 AM

Is the card overclocked when you're gaming as well? Is ATItool always on when you're playing?
If so, end ATItool. That should bring back your speeds back to stock.

You can also underclock the core back to stock (720Mhz) by simply bringing down the sliders accordingly then clicking "set clock", if you want to keep ATItool open.

February 4, 2008 12:17:39 AM

no the card is not over clocked i just got atitools. and i dont run it while gameing
February 4, 2008 12:19:08 AM

jlpilkey - By the looks of your screen shot you've got a core overclock of 104 Mhz. That is probably why those boxes are appearing. You have pushed your card too high and simply need to back off a bit.

You can have Atitool find your highest overclock which is the easiest way to overclock. Let Atitool overclock until you see artifacts then lower the Mhz of your overclock and test for 10 minutes. If there are no artifacts then you are done. If artifacts appear then back the OC off more until there are no artifacts after 10 minutes of testing.

You can do the same with the memory as well, since according to your screen, you are just OC the core right now. When you are done OC the core then try OC'ing the memory.

If you find artifacts appearing at stock speeds then you should RMA your card because there is something wrong.
February 4, 2008 12:23:54 AM

If you do not want to overclock then uninstall Atitool. If you are still seeing artifacts after the uninstall and a reboot of your computer then RMA the card. Artifacts at stock speeds means there is something wrong with your GFX card or you have no fans in your case and there is too much hot air.

My advice is that if you have no intention to overclock then uninstall Atitool and reboot like I said before. Play STALKER and if your card still artifacts then RMA/return your graphics card.
February 4, 2008 12:34:39 AM

ok no more artifacts no i get slight graphics glitchs and game crashed on me. and i cnat return my card i lost my reciet and voided the warranty by loosing the box also
February 4, 2008 1:29:07 AM

also i think stalker just dislikes my computer im running cod4 max graphics no artifacts or anything runs fine. oblivion seems fine also. company of heroes runs amnazingly. i dont understand. stalker just dosent work well anymore
February 4, 2008 1:34:38 AM

jlpilkey said:
also i think stalker just dislikes my computer im running cod4 max graphics no artifacts or anything runs fine. oblivion seems fine also. company of heroes runs amnazingly. i dont understand. stalker just dosent work well anymore

Probably driver issues. Did you install the latest patches for the game and the latest driver for the video card?
February 4, 2008 1:53:50 AM

You are either overclocking too much or you are having heat issues.

824 core is pretty high.
February 4, 2008 1:55:15 AM

Evilonigiri said:
Probably driver issues. Did you install the latest patches for the game and the latest driver for the video card?

Not necessarily drivers. Some video cards artifact in some games while not others.
February 4, 2008 1:55:33 AM

i reset everythign to stock setting i still have problemes im really confused by whats happening
February 4, 2008 1:58:58 AM

jlpilkey said:
yes i did got the ForceWare Release 169. andi also got the lastest patch. i think soemthing may have happend wen my heat sink decided to fall off. related to this topic http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/248214-28-life

Maybe you need a professional. You seem like you are lost and not very technically inclined.

If you have to do things on your own I suggest you try "restore" function of your operating system to a earlier date when you didn't have problems. If that fails you should uninstall the overclocking utility, uninstall drivers manually or using drivers cleaners, and if worst comes to worst you might try reinstall operating system. If all else fails it is a hardware issue or installation issue.
February 4, 2008 6:14:03 PM

that my plan im bringing it to get looked at tongiht
!