New AMD HTPC build suggestions

koss64

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
Im looking to build a cheap but decent AM2 HTPC in the near future and ive been looking at some parts(mainly mobo,case and cpu coolers). I'm looking at building something small and quiet mainly. Thus far im looking seriously at the following:
http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/M...board&ProductID=2670&ProductName=GA-M68SM-S2L -Gigabyte GA-M68SM-S2L
http://www.directron.com/htpc300sa.html#caption-Silver nMEDIAPC Media Center Home Theater PC System HTPC 300SA
http://www.globalcomputer.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3069970&CatId=493-Kingwin KA9227 CPU cooler.
Am I on the right track here? Please feel free to make your suggestions, built many normal ATX machines but this is my first HTPC build.Thanks in advance.

jackieboy

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006

If it is just for HTPC why does it -need- to be AM2?
Many Intell and AMD skt 939 systems can not just do the same job but a MB/CPU/RAM combo can be found online for -?+ $100 USD that have a PCI-E connection for the GFX card.

Even Fry's had a walk in sale last week of AMD dual core 5600+ w/MB for $124 USD or Intel E2160 w/MB for $88 USD.
They AMD was a better deal.

Unless you don't want,get a Cooler Master PC case onsale for $29. Saves cash and runs -alot- cooler.

koss64

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
Sorry forgot to mention i dont live in the states but i can buy stuff from some stores online , hense i cant walk into a frys or Best buy. Reason i say AM2 is because i want something current while not bleeding edge. I think for the HTPC an IGP would suit me better, less cards i have in there the better.A Cooler Master case? hmm ill look and see what they have to offer.

koss64

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
To jackieBoy ,
I need the CPU cooler as i find the stock AM2 fans run a bit loud. I dont plan on overclocking anything,the only purpose the machine serves is to serve my music collection and pipe it to my amplifier and speakers.Now all i need is a cpu cooler that can fit a HTPC case.

Thanks for the responses thus far.

All modern CPU's can handle DVD with no skipping. My first PC that I used to watch DVD's had an Athlon T-Bird 800MHz and it didn't skip at all. MPEG-2 (DVD) isn't very difficult to decode. The only reason to have CPU muscle in an HTPC is if you plan on doing any video encoding or plan to watch Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, or other Hi-Def without hardware acceleration.

Perhaps you should wait a few weeks and get one of the new RS780 chipsets that's coming out for AMD. That chipset will have integrated graphics that can take the HD decoding burden away from the CPU if you ever decide to go HD.

koss64

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
Dont plan on going full out HD yet so i dont know if im going to wait for this chipset yet, if im still assembling my build at around the time this thing comes out ill switch to it. Anyone have any ideas on a small but silent cpu cooler?

CPU cooler will depend on your case. I personally have the Scythe Mini Ninja which was designed with HTPC's in mind. It fits the Antec Fusion case (rather small). I'm using it in a Moncaso 832P. The top of the heatsink is the same height has the PCB of expansion cards. The only downside is that the fan that comes with it is a 3-pin instead of PWM 4-pin, but you can throw a separate PWM fan on it if you wish.

What case were you considering?