• CPUs
  • Chip
  • AMD
  • Phenom
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
February 13, 2008 1:07:47 AM

Does anyone have an update for the Phenom update for 2008?

When is AMD going to release a 3.0 GHz or higher Phenom chip?

I don't really care about Phenom that much but because I made the mistake of buying an AM2 mobo instead of Intel...phenom would be the most economical upgrade choice for me.

I want to know when AMD is going to release a dual core chip that is as fast or faster than the 6400BE that does not burn at a 125 Watts TDP.

I would like to see 6400 like performance or better at the 65 watt scale.

More about : phenom roadmap 2008

February 13, 2008 1:24:43 AM

Umm, sorry man. The 3.0 GHZ part falls into the catagory of "dont hold your breath" The next Phenom out will be the slower 9100. The higher clocked stuff is currently pushed backed to H208 (read Dec08) and there is no gauruntee that will include anything as high as 3.0GHz.
a b à CPUs
February 13, 2008 2:04:38 AM

I may have created a waste of a post. It appears that my AM2 MSI K9A Platinum Mobo may not even be Phenom compatible per AMD's website.

Get ready Intel! Here I come!

Hey, did anyone here about the earthquake that rocked California yesterday? It measured 4.1 on the Richter scale.

After Seismologists researched the quake they found out that it was not actually an earthquake but instead was the shear number of people jumping off the AMD Bandwagon all at once.

Related resources
February 13, 2008 2:26:13 AM

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

Thats cold man......cold :lol: 
a b à CPUs
February 13, 2008 2:36:03 AM

I found it

a b à CPUs
February 13, 2008 2:41:11 AM

I was thinking of the dead end sign, but then I remembered Exit2Dos's rendition, which is priceless.
February 13, 2008 2:43:59 AM

Bunch a freakin comedians you are.....you should get yourselves a HBO special :kaola: 
February 13, 2008 3:11:25 AM

rwayne said:
I may have created a waste of a post. It appears that my AM2 MSI K9A Platinum Mobo may not even be Phenom compatible per AMD's website.

Get ready Intel! Here I come!

I'll stay cautiously on the AMD bandwagon, but I'll probably wait for 45nm Phenoms. They are supposed to be out in the 2nd half of the year. The fastest B3 (65nm) will be 2.6 and should be out in 2nd quarter 2008.

AMD isn't that bad. Intel's made similar misteps as a company. Netburst anyone?

The Phenom's, if priced right, are good processors once the errata gets taken care of, and reports of a bad 2nd core in some Phenom's is probably a QA issue related to CPU's that should have been binned as triple cores.

At least ATI is doing nicely!

My ASUS 690G's are Phenom ready with a bios upgrade, though I don't know if my MSI 690V is. At any rate, I can't see putting a Phenom on an AM2 mobo, so I'll go 780G when the time comes. I like the power saving mode. That way, I won't be using my 3870x2 for surfing the net and posting at Tom's Hardware.

Xbit Labs and Anandtech have the latest info on Phenom releases:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20080208183158...

Anand has a blog about the upcoming Phenom's but I can't get it to load right now and it's time to go off to the data center for work, but it rehashes info covered by Xbit Labs.

edited because I meant B3, not the errata plagued B2!

a b à CPUs
February 13, 2008 10:47:08 AM

More trollbait ... sorry but this troll is too tired tonight for a serious post.

Some funny posts there though.

Ok ... I'd feel bad if I didn't fire off at least something ...

Hows them E8400 temps going ??

How many of you are having problems with these out of interest?

Any of them DELL machines ... let us know if this is the case.

Happy to broadcast truth ... and some.

Is it across the range or just this one CPU with temp sensor issues eh?

a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
February 13, 2008 11:25:14 AM

wow you sure have lots of earthquakes overthere
February 13, 2008 11:57:22 AM

yipsl said:
I'll stay cautiously on the AMD bandwagon, but I'll probably wait for 45nm Phenoms. They are supposed to be out in the 2nd half of the year.

Which year?? 2009 yeah? Mmm Intel's 32mn should be out by then too..

Ryan
February 13, 2008 8:24:50 PM

Ironnads said:
Which year?? 2009 yeah? Mmm Intel's 32mn should be out by then too..

Ryan

Sure, but they'll probably charge too much for them. I build 3 PC's every 3 years and upgrade them in the off years. We'll have 5 PC's at home once the 45nm Phenom's arrive. Unless Intel does another price war and OEM rebate program that ticks off regulators on 3 continents, then I see errata free Phenoms as a viable budget option.

I will admit that AMD is back in the position it was in during the K62 days, but I had fun with my K62-450 and only upgraded to a P4 1.6 Williamette because Morrowind demanded better and Tom's Hardware had the article on Athlon XP's frying when the heatsink fan failed.

By the time that Intel proved it was willing to dump inferior Prescott Netburst products on the market while practicing illegal rebate programs to limit AMD's share, I moved to Athlon X2's. I'd had hopes for C2D that were met, but since I had to buy new motherboards anyways, I went AMD. If I only needed one system, then Intel would be affordable.

Did you have a space heater Prescott? The only one I have was given to me by a friend who went Athlon X2. I used it for media encoding for awhile but it's a dinosaur just asking to be sent to the boneyard that's the local Goodwill computer store (they have a nice mini-museum here in Austin though).

When Intel has 32nm, AMD won't be far behind. Considering recent roadmaps, AMD's problems with investments and buying ATI are mostly worked out and they are back on schedule. A half year behind Intel in many ways, but 45nm Phenom's promise both power saving and a speed bump over 65nm. Intel seems to be having their own problems with core temps and 45nm.

Intel's on top now, but AMD will come back, or maybe Nvidia will enter the CPU market with something other than a handheld device CPU. We need innovation and competition. Without AMD, Intel would not have abandoned Netburst. They had the market with a POS product. They had all the "Dude you got a Dell!" buyers and they cheated with OEM rebates.

I'll ask you a direct question: did you have Intel during the Prescott/Smithfield space heater disaster? Netburst should have ended with the Northwoods, which were the closet to competitive that architecture got. If Phenom is bad for AMD, it's no where near as bad as the processor that should have killed Intel, but didn't seem to hurt the company at all.
February 13, 2008 8:30:40 PM

Quote:
Hey, did anyone here about the earthquake that rocked California yesterday? It measured 4.1 on the Richter scale.

After Seismologists researched the quake they found out that it was not actually an earthquake but instead was the shear number of people jumping off the AMD Bandwagon all at once.
ROFL!

Sucks about the AM2 board. I'm betting they tell you that you need the new AM2+ socket! Anyways, the 6400+ isn't too bad. It's still a great dual-core.
February 13, 2008 9:09:06 PM

rwayne said:

A 4.1 earthquake? I lived in Paradise, California for 30 years and a 4.1 wouldn't draw the attention of anyone. Now a 6 or 7 point earthquake made the news, but not a 4.1. Heck, you could get more movement driving a pickup down a gravel road than that.

As for Phenom and 2008, we might be doing graveside services for Phenom by then.
a b à CPUs
February 13, 2008 9:23:45 PM

Yea but we are just talking about a bunch of people jumping off a band wagon, not the band wagons falling off buildings. Unless AMD fanboys are all fattys, I think even 4.1 is an achievment :kaola: 
a c 213 à CPUs
a b À AMD
February 14, 2008 12:01:20 AM

yipsl said:
I'll ask you a direct question: did you have Intel during the Prescott/Smithfield space heater disaster? Netburst should have ended with the Northwoods, which were the closet to competitive that architecture got. If Phenom is bad for AMD, it's no where near as bad as the processor that should have killed Intel, but didn't seem to hurt the company at all.

I'll answer this with a direct answer with the same response as anyone could tell ya. Manufacturing capabilities. Intel can make more CPUs than AMD can thus being able to sell more. AMD got plenty of market share. They had 35% before C2D started taking it back so obviously the OEM rebates did nothing to stop it. It would have been going up still if C2D failed.

Netburst was very competative with Athlon XP. It was A64/X2 that was better. Either way a small company doesn't have as much room to mess up as a large company. Here is a good question for ya. Which company will sell more. The one who can produce a million of a product in a year or the company that can make 100k in the same year?
February 14, 2008 12:17:39 AM

I think AMD will have a 3GHz Phenom by H2/08.

I also think Barry Bonds never used steroids, and Dennis Kucinich will win the 2012 Presidential election.

Also, Give it up for the Miami Dolphins - Superbowl XLIII Champions!!!
February 14, 2008 12:19:31 AM

exit2dos said:
I think AMD will have a 3GHz Phenom by H2/08.

I also think Barry Bonds never used steroids, and Dennis Kucinich will win the 2012 Presidential election.

Also, Give it up for the Miami Dolphins - Superbowl XLIII Champions!!!

Dont you have some cotton candy to make or something?? :kaola:  ;)  :lol: 
February 14, 2008 12:23:12 AM

I'm out of the cotton candy business while I'm on a research sabbatical for balloon animal studies. I do hear, however, that there's a couple job openings at the Inquirer.
February 14, 2008 12:43:18 AM

:D 
Yeah, I knew that it's Turpit's favorite site, and when I heard that his favorite, respected journalist was signing on with TG Daily - I wondered how he would react.

To give Turpit credit - he's handling better than I thought.
a b à CPUs
February 14, 2008 1:09:48 AM

yipsl said:
I'll stay cautiously on the AMD bandwagon, but I'll probably wait for 45nm Phenoms. They are supposed to be out in the 2nd half of the year. The fastest B3 (65nm) will be 2.6 and should be out in 2nd quarter 2008.

AMD isn't that bad. Intel's made similar misteps as a company. Netburst anyone?
The reason I am leaving AMD is that I just see no immediate light at the end of the tunnel. They are BLEEDING for cash right now. I just don't see how they are going to be able to catch up with Intel on a shoe-string budget for Research & Development.

IBM reported that they have the technology right now to produce 45nm chips with this half-k metal which basically has the same beneficial properties of Intel's Halfnium. However they also said they are not going to be able to release this technology to it's partners to 2009.

So what position does that put AMD in? They got no choice but to sit for a whole year until 2009 rolls around just to have a shot at catching up with what Intel has to offer right now.

Intel already has functional models of 32nm processors which if the company was placed in a crisis situation they could probably release them this month if they needed too.

I just don't see AMD catching up to Intel in the next 5 years (if not longer) unless they get bought out or merge with a major player such as Samsung, IBM which would give them the resources for R&D to create a equal or better product than what Intel has. Until then AMD will always be 1 to 2 generations behind Intel.
a b à CPUs
February 14, 2008 1:13:29 AM

BTW here is a news update for you. Another release date pushed back by AMD. Yes this is Fudzilla but I don't think there will be any 45nm chips in 2H 2008.
Quote:
Regor is a 45nm K10.5 based dual core and it is currently scheduled for 1H of 2009. It supports both socket AM2 for DDR2 setups and AM3 for DDR3 machines. It will come in two versions. One will have 6MB of cache memory, while the second one won’t have any and it will end up cheaper.
http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&ta...
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
February 14, 2008 2:22:50 AM

rwayne said:
BTW here is a news update for you. Another release date pushed back by AMD. Yes this is Fudzilla but I don't think there will be any 45nm chips in 2H 2008.
Quote:
Regor is a 45nm K10.5 based dual core and it is currently scheduled for 1H of 2009. It supports both socket AM2 for DDR2 setups and AM3 for DDR3 machines. It will come in two versions. One will have 6MB of cache memory, while the second one won’t have any and it will end up cheaper.
http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&ta...

?????????????????? I don't think anyone expected the 45nm Dual Core's to come out this year so there really hasn't been anything pushed back. Heck even the other one that talked about tri-core's didn't bring up anything about a product being released off schedule. So far 45nm is on schedule for release as far as we know.

I wish MSI would get their butts in gear with the K9A Platinum bios. They have one for most of their K9 boards now in beta at least, but not for the K9A Platinum board... I want a Phenom on this board eventually, but I am in no hurry. I really don't need to upgrade my system at this time.