fueled_by_ramen

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007
Got a Toshiba laptop with a Mobility Radeon 9000 GPU, P4 3.3GHz, 1GB Ram.

Not running any graphics intensive programs/games, but when I use Google Earth, I get all of these crazy lines that flicker and move across the screen. Here is a screenshot of a mild example.

GraphicArtifact.jpg

Haven't seen this kind of graphical artifact in a while. Can anyone think of what would cause this?

I tried looking for new drivers but for some reason there aren't any drivers for the 9000, only 9600 and up. And if I try the 9600 drivers it comes back with an error saying the GPU isn't compatible. Checked AMD/ATI's site as well as googling it but I cannot find any drivers for this specific GPU.

I'm guessing it's overheating. I'll try to check the temps and report back, but if anyone can give me any input on this I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

driver glitch(best guess)....go into the tools=>Options and try to run it in Direct3d instead of OGL. ATI cards run Direct3d better anyway....

You can try ati tool's artifact scan if you want to be sure....

fueled_by_ramen

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007
Only happens in google earth but google earth is the only program used that even uses some kind of graphics power (direct3d or opengl, etc). Laptop is used only for standard Windows use (internet, music, word, etc).

Really sucks that they don't even have any drivers at all for the 9000, let along an updated driver. I know the mobility 9000 is a very budget chipset used for OEM's but still, no drivers at all? Wow. If there are drivers somewhere out there then they are hiding extremely well. ;)

there are a bunch of drivers here, Ngo and Omega are most likely the popular ones. Since they are modded ati drivers there is not guarantee they will work right..it may take a few tries. and i can not promise they will fix and not make anything worse...make sure you have your old driver and a system restore point first...

http://www.mvktech.net/component/option,com_remository/Itemid,26/func,selectfolder/cat,2/