Sign in with
Your question
Closed

ATI vs Nvidia, please help me select

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 3, 2008 3:37:18 AM

I'm going to be purchasing a new video card in the next few weeks. I have an ASUS P5W DH Deluxe mobo, 2 gigs of RAM, E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz. My current video card is an ATI 850 XT.

I'm not particular to ATI or Nvidia either way. I ended up with the mobo on a recommendation and the video card because it was on sale.

I'm looking to spend $350 to $450 (U.S.). I'm hoping to use this card for the next two years. I play games but I'm not interested in Crossfire or SLI. I do not need the latest or greatest. Just looking to future-proof my purchase. I just want one card. I want it to be PCI 2.0. I will be upgrading the mobo, RAM and CPU eventually as well.

The new ATI 3870's look nice but the lifetime warranty on EVGA Nvidia products is very appealing. Plus, I'm not trying to rumor-monger here, but Nvidia's future looks much brighter than ATI/AMD.

Any suggestions are welcome.

More about : ati nvidia select

February 3, 2008 3:40:18 AM

If you can scout around, perhaps you can buy a 3870X2 for around $400-$450.

Otherwise, the 8800GTS 512MB will serve you well.

EDIT: But before that, what's your PSU?
February 3, 2008 3:45:03 AM

My PSU is a PC Power & Cooling 750 quad. I upgraded a few months ago knowing I was going to need more than my old unit.
Related resources
February 3, 2008 3:51:04 AM

Well then, the fastest video card out there right now, the 3870x2 will last you quite awhile. If you can wait awhile, the 9800GX2 and the 3870x2 refresh (GDDR4) will be out soon.
February 3, 2008 3:58:20 AM

What resolution do you play games at? And what is your monitors native resolution?
February 3, 2008 4:20:19 AM

The good news is you have a e6600 so you can use the newest video cards.
For now I think the 8800GT or 3870 are plenty good. There is the larger 3870-X2 or 9800GX2, but those cards cost a lot more and have only modest performance gains. Your 750 watt PSU should be plenty anyway,

In about 1 year there will be the Nehalem CPUs and a new generation of video cards (r700/g100) which will finally be serious "8800GTX killers".
This next generation will have completely different sockets, motherboards, slots, RAM, etc. So you will need new everything anyway. Keep your good PSU for the next few years.
February 3, 2008 5:21:51 AM

I think the 8800GTS 512 is a sweet spot. It usually beats the GTX and is much better than the 3870, and although it's slightly more expensive than the 8800GT it also has more performance. You get near 3870x2 performance for $150 less than the 3870x2, but you're only spending $50(ish) more than an 8800GT.
February 3, 2008 5:59:41 AM

at 450 i would go with the hd 3870 x2

first it has 5.1 sound with hdmi - pretty cool seeing as bluray-rom are around $200

second i think with time the "X2" will pull further a head
February 3, 2008 6:01:12 AM

you read all the nvidia bias above! everyone says nvidia - try ati again - the new x2 rules!

you have ati and ati looks better - its still looks better go with ati

the p5w-dh is crossfire you can run 2 x2's for quad fire!
February 3, 2008 6:37:13 AM

enewmen said:
For now I think the 8800GT or 3870 are plenty good. There is the larger 3870-X2 or 9800GX2, but those cards cost a lot more and have only modest performance gains. Your 750 watt PSU should be plenty anyway,

The advantage of either (especially the better designed 3870x2) is Crossfire equivalent fps with a single PCIe x16 slot. The 3870x2 scales well with only the second driver release, 46% improvement over a single 3870. It might even be a viable card for Crossfire with another 3870x2 when prices drop, or with an R700. The one I have ordered is the MSI clocked at 850 instead of 825 or 775.

enewmen said:

In about 1 year there will be the Nehalem CPUs and a new generation of video cards (r700/g100) which will finally be serious "8800GTX killers".
This next generation will have completely different sockets, motherboards, slots, RAM, etc. So you will need new everything anyway. Keep your good PSU for the next few years.

Will Nehelem have the Intel equivalent of Hyper Transport? For some reason, I'd thought that would be Wolfdale. I hate the way Intel pulls these voltage changes that force motherboard upgrades, but that's off topic.

I expect the killer combination will be dual core R770GPU's in Crossfire mode, or CrossfireX depending on whether they're single or dual slotted. At any rate, fast cards always get slow years down the line. I still have my AIW Radeon 9800 Pro and it was a good gaming card as well as better than the TV Wonders for video.

Heck, even that Cyrix 486DLC and Trident VGA card I found in the closet last year were great for it's day. It ran TES: Arena really well!

February 3, 2008 6:45:40 AM

I just bought an Evga 8800gt, but my price range was alot lower than yours. Also, Dragon is right about the whole crossfire thing. If I were you I'd go with the ATI 3870 x2
February 3, 2008 11:59:37 AM

Sorry I've been away. Thank you for all the replies and advice. The one poster, "babybudha" wanted to know what resolution I game at. I have my monitor set at 1024 X 768. My monitor is a 19-inch Sony LCD.

One item no one has addressed. What about the warranty issue? Is it only EVGA willing to back up its products with a limited lifetime warranty? I can go either way. Is there an ATI board manufacturer who offers the same warranty? I've looked around and haven't found one. Is that issue that important or should I disregard? Thanks again everyone. I appreciate the help and suggestions.
a c 175 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
February 3, 2008 12:14:49 PM

Fan speed control issues may lead me to sell my 3850 and 3870 cards and go [back] to nVidia. We'll see, I may keep one of them for a HTPC.
February 3, 2008 12:31:52 PM

There is no better card.
Each has a strong point and weak points.

Go with the best one you can reasonably afford and you'll be happy either way.
a b U Graphics card
February 3, 2008 12:47:17 PM

GinoS said:
Sorry I've been away. Thank you for all the replies and advice. The one poster, "babybudha" wanted to know what resolution I game at. I have my monitor set at 1024 X 768. My monitor is a 19-inch Sony LCD.

One item no one has addressed. What about the warranty issue? Is it only EVGA willing to back up its products with a limited lifetime warranty? I can go either way. Is there an ATI board manufacturer who offers the same warranty? I've looked around and haven't found one. Is that issue that important or should I disregard? Thanks again everyone. I appreciate the help and suggestions.

That is a good question. I've had both nVidia and ATI/AMD GPU's and haven't had really any issues with either, but the warranty question is valid. I haven't gone through the warranty issues on GPU's so I can't say which way to go with that. For piece of mind the nVidia warranties offered by their manufacturers brands would be the safer way to go, but not 100% on that. Maybe somebody can let us know there warranty related experience here, so we can have an idea if the nVidia based GPU's do have a good reputation or not.
Here is what I'd get if I was able to afford $400-450 for a GPU, in order of performance: 3870x2>8800gts 512mb>8800gt>3870>3850, etc. With your lower resolution you won't be limited by the GPU, but if you upgrade to a higher resolution LCD, you'll want the added GPU power under the hood then. The other thing to consider is that I'm seeing the 3870x2 is about 10.5" long, so you might/might not have a problem fitting this into your case. I think Powercolor changed the size of their 3870x2 GPU, but still researching the size of it at this point.
February 3, 2008 12:48:35 PM

Right now, the only issue I would have with ATI...the drivers. There are lots of people who have purchased the 3870x2 and found out that it takes a new beta release driver (found somewhere) to make both processors work together. Funny...a company that releases a video card and the drivers don't fully support it. That would bother me. I was a long time ATI user...and then with the release of Vista...nothing ever worked properly again. Went Nvidia a year ago...and now have an older 8800 GTS OC 640 in one machine and the new G92 8800 GTS 512 in the other. The drivers are rock stable for both XP and Vista and I use EVGA...and can find NO Better company to deal with. They have 24/7 tech support...and get the job done...the first time. I think it will come down to what you need and what kind of product support you are looking for.

As far as speed. 8800 GTS 512 has shown its ability to be as good or better than the previous GTX models. ATI has finally, after a year, come up with something that can rival the speed near the top...and the first offering has "questionable" drivers. Who rushed that thing out the door.

I am not a "Fanboy" of any particular brand, etc. I just like what works and works well. I use the resolution 1680 x 1050 and my card performs anything on any level.

February 3, 2008 1:20:59 PM

dragonsprayer said:
first it has 5.1 sound with hdmi - pretty cool seeing as bluray-rom are around $200

WRONG.

It simply has audio pass through for HDMI. Admittedly a neat feature, but it does not process audio.

Honestly I would go with Nvidia... their drivers seem to be less of a headache.
February 3, 2008 5:40:52 PM

GinoS said:
I have my monitor set at 1024 X 768. My monitor is a 19-inch Sony LCD.

Super high end cards like the 8800 Ultra, 3870 X2...etc only really shine at higher resolutions (ie. 1900x1200). At lower resolutions, there is not much performance difference vs 2nd highest cards (ie. 3870 and 8800GT)

From many reviews, I find that at low resolutions, the 8800GT is the best. I honestly am a Ati fanboy, but Ati cards just take to much of a performance hit when using AA filtering (which you want to use at those resolutions).

So my advice:

1) Buy a 8800GT for about $220 US.

2) Put the other $230 you have in silver stocks.
- in 2 years, your stocks will more then double (hopefully), and you will be able to buy a latest and greatest again:) 
a c 143 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
February 3, 2008 6:00:20 PM

^^Agreed. At that resolution an 8800GT (or HD 3870 or even HD 3850 512MB) will do fine, and they're cheaper than the GTS G92 or the HD 3870X2. If you want an 8800GT pick one with a dual-slot cooler, like the Gigabyte version for example.

Edit: no clue about silver stocks :)  I think AMD, nVidia and Intel stocks are pretty cheap now, with all this doom and gloom.
a c 212 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
February 3, 2008 6:01:34 PM

Two oft "not discussed" issues:

Many game vendors "partner" with either or and have "works best with [.........]" stickers on their boxes.....so it's worth considering your game inventory and see whose sticker is on the boxes when they have picked one over the other. I find less problems with driver compatibility with a game's partner" than the vendor they didn't partner with.

Ever buy a new vid card and have a problem post install ? ....Call Vid card TS and they say "It must be a MoBo problem". Call MoBo TS and they say "It must be a vid card problem". All things being equal, it's worth considering the same vendor for MoBo and Vid Card ..... not a necessity but can be handy if you have a problem.
February 3, 2008 7:03:58 PM

Sorry, been away again. Once again, thanks for all the replies and suggestion. One poster noted I should be concerned about the size of the ATI 3780 X 2's. My case is a Lian-Li PC-61. I think that can handle the bigger cards. Once again, thanks everyone.
February 4, 2008 2:54:00 AM

T8RR8R said:
I think the 8800GTS 512 is a sweet spot. It usually beats the GTX and is much better than the 3870, and although it's slightly more expensive than the 8800GT it's also has more performance. You get near 3870x2 performance for $150 less than the 3870x2, but you're only spending $50(ish) more than an 8800GT.

Uhh no. you won't get near 3870X2 performance with a 8800GTS unless your playing at 1280 1024. 1600 1200 and above plus AA the 3870X2 will spank the little 8800GTS.
Unless the OP dosent want to spend $450 then a 8800GTS will do.
But for the next 2 years the 3870X2 will be much more future proof. DirectX10.1, shader model 4.1 ,55mn die.
a c 143 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
February 4, 2008 3:27:06 AM

GinoS said:
Sorry, been away again. Once again, thanks for all the replies and suggestion. One poster noted I should be concerned about the size of the ATI 3780 X 2's. My case is a Lian-Li PC-61. I think that can handle the bigger cards. Once again, thanks everyone.

No worries, the HD 3870X2 will fit in that case. It is the best card you can get for that budget. The only cards that compete well against it are the 8800GTX and Ultra, but those are overpriced. Here's a quote about the PC-61 from a newegg reviewer:

Quote:
Other Thoughts: Lian Li has me sold from here on out. If I ever buy another case it will be this one or another one of Lian Li's cases. Never again will I go with another brand because there is no way there is something better than this case... I have a HUGE round zalman heat sink and it still fit and slid right into the case after I installed everything onto the motherboard tray. AMD 64 6000+ X2 w/ Zalman heatsink running about 40c tops and at only 2400RPM. 8GB pc6400 (2GB dimms each) Corsiar. Sli Mode (x2 EVGA 8800 GTX 768MB). Lian Li PC-61 Case with the best cooling known to be used with air. 2 SCSI 15,000RPM 32MB cache. Space isnt even a glimpse of an issue with this case. I could easily fit 3 8800 GTX video cards...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16811112025

Edit: the HD 3870X2 is a bit smaller than the 8800GTX, normally (10.5" vs 11"). Based on that, the quote above shows it will fit. If you buy one, check the particular model, just in case. You never know when Asus or Sapphire or HIS decide to add a fancy cooler and make it 14" long :) 

Between HD 3870X2 and 8800GTX, the 8800GTX does win a few. Between the 8800GTX and the 8800GTS G92, the GTX wins almost all the time, especially at higher resolutions.

Look here. this is a very interesting thread.
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?s=df08cf86c91f5f9df19f30fbf07035c4&t=33914862
February 4, 2008 4:12:09 AM

GinoS said:
I'm going to be purchasing a new video card in the next few weeks. I have an ASUS P5W DH Deluxe mobo, 2 gigs of RAM, E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz. My current video card is an ATI 850 XT.

I'm not particular to ATI or Nvidia either way. I ended up with the mobo on a recommendation and the video card because it was on sale.

I'm looking to spend $350 to $450 (U.S.). I'm hoping to use this card for the next two years. I play games but I'm not interested in Crossfire or SLI. I do not need the latest or greatest. Just looking to future-proof my purchase. I just want one card. I want it to be PCI 2.0. I will be upgrading the mobo, RAM and CPU eventually as well.

The new ATI 3870's look nice but the lifetime warranty on EVGA Nvidia products is very appealing. Plus, I'm not trying to rumor-monger here, but Nvidia's future looks much brighter than ATI/AMD.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Just in time :) 
Hope you didn't buy your graphics card yet.
Sapphire at the moment is the only AMD/ATI manufacturer that offer lifetime warranty
and is also the only AMD/ATI manufacturer that gets crazy with new and innovative cooling
for their video cards.

The new 3870x2 from Sapphire offers lifetime warrenty and is in your price range $450.
Hope this helps, good luck :) 

Refer to link - Click on Specifications and scroll all the way down ^_^
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
February 4, 2008 5:03:36 AM

I would recommend a new monitor to start with because your barely using any of the above cards at 1024x768. It is true that the X2 wont scale well at lower res but its still a 2 in 1 card and will perform. The 3870 and GT wont last you 2 years(unless you stick with that monitor) and the GTX and Ultra cost too much for their performance compared with the X2. I would recommend the GTS(g92) if you dont upgrade your monitor because it should perform fine no matter what at that res. If you do upgrade to a higher res then the X2 is probably the only GPU that could last you 2 years with any hope of performing. And dont worry about ATI's Drivers they always start off shaky and usually on the 2nd or 3rd release all the major bugs are fixed and the performance is where it should be.
February 4, 2008 12:03:58 PM

aznstriker92 said:
Uhh no. you won't get near 3870X2 performance with a 8800GTS unless your playing at 1280 1024. 1600 1200 and above plus AA the 3870X2 will spank the little 8800GTS.
Unless the OP dosent want to spend $450 then a 8800GTS will do.
But for the next 2 years the 3870X2 will be much more future proof. DirectX10.1, shader model 4.1 ,55mn die.

I was just saying that it's $150 less than the 3870x2 and that in many games you get near the same performance especially at anything less than 16**x12**. Of course if you have a 19**x12** monitor the 3870x2 will show it's worth, but even now days most people don't have that high of a res, sadly. So it might be worth spending a little less and getting similar results. I'm not saying that the 8800GTS(g92) is nipping at the heals of the 3870x2, but it's a card worth considering for the price and resolution.

Oh and this shows what cards perform on a similar level, notice the 8800(G92) is in the same bracket at the 3870x2.http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/02/04/best_cards_february_2008/page7.html
a c 143 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
February 4, 2008 2:28:39 PM

GinoS said:
Nvidia's future looks much brighter than ATI/AMD.

I admire your optimism. TBH nVidia's future doesn't look very bright to me at all. Neither does AMD's, but I still think nVidia's is worse.

If Intel goes into the discrete video card business, as they promised, nVidia will have a big problem.

If the US goes into a recession, sales of $350 video cards for games will be hurt a lot. At least AMD will have the cheap CPUs, which will still sell well because they're good for searching job ads and e-mailing resumes.

If both Intel and AMD integrate serious graphics abilities into the CPUs, then nVidia will have yet another big problem. Remember what happened to Netscape when Windows got the IE browser in it? That will happen to nVidia when CPUs make buying a video card unnecessary for most people.

Finally, if/when AMD manages to make some competitive video cards, there would be much less incentive to buy SLI motherboards, which will hurt nVidia too. Even now, P35, X38 and X48 support Crossfire but not SLI, which basically means Intel is helping AMD rather than nVidia when it comes to selling video cards to enthusiasts.
February 4, 2008 2:54:00 PM

aevm said:
I admire your optimism. TBH nVidia's future doesn't look very bright to me at all. Neither does AMD's, but I still think nVidia's is worse.

If Intel goes into the discrete video card business, as they promised, nVidia will have a big problem.

If the US goes into a recession, sales of $350 video cards for games will be hurt a lot. At least AMD will have the cheap CPUs, which will still sell well because they're good for searching job ads and e-mailing resumes.

If both Intel and AMD integrate serious graphics abilities into the CPUs, then nVidia will have yet another big problem. Remember what happened to Netscape when Windows got the IE browser in it? That will happen to nVidia when CPUs make buying a video card unnecessary for most people.

Finally, if/when AMD manages to make some competitive video cards, there would be much less incentive to buy SLI motherboards, which will hurt nVidia too. Even now, P35, X38 and X48 support Crossfire but not SLI, which basically means Intel is helping AMD rather than nVidia when it comes to selling video cards to enthusiasts.

I pretty much agree with that.
February 4, 2008 2:58:06 PM

enewmen said:

This is a great summation on the current and future GPU/CPU market conditions.

aznstriker92 said:

Well, if you actually read what the OP said instead of strutting e-peen size, you would have seen him post that he plays at 1024x768.... so he *would* see a benefit from the GTS.

To the OP: You really don't need anything higher than a 8800GT/3650. I'd personally go for the 8800GT to guarantee more eyecandy... but it's really just personal preference.
February 4, 2008 3:02:43 PM

Phrozt said:
To the OP: You really don't need anything higher than a 8800GT/3650. I'd personally go for the 8800GT to guarantee more eyecandy... but it's really just personal preference.

I'd go for the 8800GT because it's performance will hold out longer.
February 4, 2008 3:33:54 PM

I appreciate all the input and suggestions. Thank you everyone.
February 4, 2008 4:24:46 PM

Get the 8800GT, and spend the extra money on a 22" display.

The larger LCD at a higher resolution will give you a bigger boost in graphic quality than any video card alone at the lower resolution.
February 4, 2008 8:21:00 PM

aevm said:

It's already unnecessary for most people who don't play games. IGP's have gotten better, thanks to ATI and Nvidia. Nvidia will be hurt if Swift (and the Intel equivalent) CPU's at different price points have cores that reflect the entire line from AMD (R700) and Intel (what are they calling it?)

AMD originally said Swift would have 1 HD 3000 core with 3 45nm Phenom cores, leading most to think it would be HD 3450 that would work on a 780G board in hybrid Crossfire alongside the DX10 IGP and another 3450. Triple Crossfire on the cheap, might even give 30-40 fps at medium in recent DX10 games.

Then AMD said it will be an R700 core, which is even better. I expect to see low end R700 cores on cheaper processors and up to midrange cores on more expensive processors. I don't see Swift as destroying ATI's market for discrete GPU's at the high end, and hybrid Crossfire should even boost sales at the low end with power saving helping the mainstream and enthusiast.

aevm said:

I'm really hoping that Nvidia relents and works with the other companies to develop one standard for multicard setups. Nvidia's getting their power saving features to market on new chipsets faster than AMD, and they are enabling the IGP on high end chipsets as well, something I wish AMD would do for the successor to the 790. Even with a CrossfireX setup, I can see a rich gamer wanting power saving features when surfing the net.

I do agree that Nvidia will have serious problems without a CPU in late 2009 onwards. Perhaps they will buy Via. The 'take it with a shaker of salt' Inquirer claimed that AMD almost bought Nvidia instead of ATI but the Nvidia CEO wanted to be in charge of the new company and Hector Ruiz would not go for it. Then, the Inquirer reported that the Nvidia CEO (what's his name?) tried to float a hostile takeover of AMD but the Taiwanese partners and investors didn't go for it.

Nvidia's Veep for Investment has been spinning the release of the 3870x2 as bad news for AMD and touting the upcoming Nvidia card in investor e-mails (also leaked at the Inquirer, so don't take it as absolute fact, but if it's true, then Nvidia is worried). I can see them holding on with IGP on motherboards and enthusiast cards, but only if they eat crow and go for a standard where an ATI or Intel cards work with their boards and IGP in SLI, hybrid SLI and power saving.

The one thing I had hopes for when Intel went for free Crossfire over paying Nvidia for SLI is a single standard that would allow each company's products to work together for once.

It's been a long weekend waiting for my 3870x2. Still not here yet, It's on the way to Mesquite and then to my door across the state. Well, I decided I couldn't use the third PC temporarily, a P4 630 on an ATI X200 board, so I ordered a cheap MSI 690V so I can transfer my X2 4600+ from that Nvidia 405 chipset board. Was the 405 chipset boards the only one's that wouldn't accept use of an ATI card? It's in the manual and MSI tech support confirmed "use Nvidia cards with this board", which is why I had a 7600gs.

The motherboard hasn't been shipped yet, so I'll have to wait a couple of days to upgrade. Then, I can post benchies on Morrowind, Oblivion, HOMM V and The Witcher under Vista at 1280 x 1024. I won't have a 20" Viewsonic LCD before the end of the month, then I can post benchies at 1650 x 1200.

Does anyone think the X2 4600+ 65 watt Windsor will limit the 3870x2 at the low CRT resolution above?
February 4, 2008 8:29:30 PM

GinoS said:
"babybudha" wanted to know what resolution I game at. I have my monitor set at 1024 X 768. My monitor is a 19-inch Sony LCD.

19" LCD would brobably be 1280x1024... in this case, the 8800 GTS 512MB would be overkill, but give you nice longevity.

But you could certainly get away with a cheaper Radeon 3850 at that resolution.
February 4, 2008 8:38:33 PM

Quote:
Get the 8800GT, and spend the extra money on a 22" display.

The larger LCD at a higher resolution will give you a bigger boost in graphic quality than any video card alone at the lower resolution.

I'll second that.

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 9, 2009 8:03:01 AM

I think's ATI is better than nvidia because i have try nvidia.Totally ati is better than nvidia.Try use HD 3870 and NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX.
a b U Graphics card
October 9, 2009 8:08:02 AM

A thread back in February '08... Did you really have to bump it for your personal input fiza?
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 18, 2009 7:17:19 AM

go with nvidia they have the warrenty and run alot cooler than ati/amd
amd while having slightly better performance requires more cooling if your not carefull they will overheat and no warrenty to make up for the money you just lost. nvidia and intel are the way to go for future proofing they are cheaper and have warrenties.
a c 271 U Graphics card
a c 168 Î Nvidia
November 18, 2009 8:33:28 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!