Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Counterfeit Win XP Pro From ebay

Last response: in Windows XP
June 26, 2010 4:25:39 PM

Until recently there were a large number of Windows operating systems for sale on ebay. Particularly Win XP Pro OEM versions at reasonable prices. I purchased one several months ago, and it came in a sealed package, with COA and that beautiful CD. I finally got around to installing it on a new build, activated like a champ. But when I went to download some security updates it went berserk...THIS IS COUNTERFEIT, blah, blah. So I mailed it off to MS WGA.

Now there are very few OSs listed on ebay. Could someone fill me in on what happened, and did MS make good on their offer to replace the fraudulent system with a good one? Also, how come it activated if it was counterfeit?

TIA

Best solution

June 27, 2010 5:09:33 AM

kerneldebugger said:
Until recently there were a large number of Windows operating systems for sale on ebay. Particularly Win XP Pro OEM versions at reasonable prices. I purchased one several months ago, and it came in a sealed package, with COA and that beautiful CD. I finally got around to installing it on a new build, activated like a champ. But when I went to download some security updates it went berserk...THIS IS COUNTERFEIT, blah, blah. So I mailed it off to MS WGA.

Now there are very few OSs listed on ebay. Could someone fill me in on what happened, and did MS make good on their offer to replace the fraudulent system with a good one? Also, how come it activated if it was counterfeit?

TIA

[#0005ff]It seems Microsoft takes the caveat emptor or let the buyer beware approach to this and assumes that anyone buying a £100 product for a fiver must have known they were chancing their arm. Did you not hear anything back from them? Some OEM software will activate but that isn't the end of the road as you''ve found out.

M$ is constantly updating its list of what it regards as counterfeit copies and a system someone ran for many years can suddenly be deemed a bent copy. My wife's Windows 7, installed by Samsung at the factory, has just been declared as such and I had to spend an hour on the 'phone to sort that one out.
[/#000ff]
July 7, 2010 1:56:35 AM

Microsoft has indicated that they will send a kit to resolve the counterfeit CD problem.
m
l
Related resources
July 7, 2010 1:56:45 AM

Best answer selected by kerneldebugger.
m
l
July 7, 2010 5:57:50 AM

kerneldebugger said:
Microsoft has indicated that they will send a kit to resolve the counterfeit CD problem.

[#0005ff]I'm pleased to read that. If only that could be taken as an admission of a flawed policy by M$.[/#000ff]
m
l
!