No POST for new system: Asus Maximus SE

Nate Owens

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
New computer build = I'm stuck!

I didn't get to the point of installing an OS (black monitor on startup) or seeing the cmos or whatever comes up on a monitor even if you don't have an os or hard drive installed (it would at least say no startup disc inserted).

All the drives, fans, and little leds fire up fine, all that.
Nada on the monitor when I fire up... not even cmos. The graphic card and monitor were borrowed from the computer I'm working with now... they are alive and well. I'm trying disconnecting one item at a time to see if there is a bad egg in the mix, and looking at all the info on dimms compatibility, chip and etc... (how do you tell if a mama board or chip is wacky?

Any ideas links to resources would be appreciated.

Yes, I can take it to an "expert"... I live out in the boonies and the "experts" for this kind of system are few and far in these parts.

Thanks... help... aaarrrgghh... be nice, now...

The System

POWER:
C283-1854 :: CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 650-Watt Power Supply - SLI,
SATA-Ready, 120mm Fan, Active PFC

GRAPHICS:
Radeon graphics card from current system = Radeon 1600, 512MB, pcie

RAM:
MICSYS 2 sticks of 2GB DDR2 Ram PC2-6400 240 pin DIMM Major/3D

MOBO:
A455-2364 :: Asus Maximus Formula Special Edition Motherboard - 45nm
Support, Intel X38, Socket 775, ATX, Audio, CrossFire Ready, PCI Express 2.0
Dual Gigabit LAN, S/PDIF, USB 2.0, Firewire, Serial ATA, RAID

CHIP:
CP2-DUO-Q6600 :: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Processor HH80562PH0568M -
2.40GHz, 8MB Cache, 1066MHz FSB, Kentsfield, Quad-Core, OEM, Socket
775, Processor

FAN:
Thermaltake Silent 775D Socket 775, Copper Heatpipes

HD:
150 Gig Western Digital Raptor 10K rpm SATA - not in raid config (will add others later not raid)

BOX:
C283-1170 :: CoolerMaster Cosmos 1000 ATX Full-Tower Case
(This case is full of fans... yes, I have all of them hooked to MoBo, including the cpu fan)

hawkspur

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Make sure all your cables are plugged in correctly and all that. Many a time have I been frustrated with problems on a new build only to figure out that the problem was a loose connector.

power goes to:

1. Main
2. 12v cpu aux
3. Video card

All three or she won't boot.

If not that then try one stick of RAM instead of 2.

Re-build it outside of case. Unhook all drives, fans, everything but power, cpu.fan, 1 stick RAM and video card.

mweidler

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
I have the maximus formula and I am having the same problem. doesnt seem to post. get a cmos err on the lcd. I have a spare video card and monitor that I will try tomorrow . try changing that If you can. at least it will tell usif the video subsystem is working.

HamRadio

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
also don't forget to connect the case power switch to the mother board (and turn it on).

if you have already connected this properly and it is not working, it is possible that the case power switch is defective. try jumping the power switch connector header pins on the motherboard and see if that works.

also i don't think this is your problem but other people have forgotten that on the back of the PSU there is also a power switch that needs to be turned on and there is also a slider that needs to be set at whatever amplitude your country's A/C current operates at. I think it is 115 in the USA (or maybe 110 or 120?).

Lastly, some folks have managed to attach the motherboard to the tray without using standoffs (little cylindrical peg thingies) and get this problem. Hopefully you used the standoffs.

What CPU are you using? The 45 nm (penryn) may need a BIOS update on the Maximus.

Nate Owens

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
OK...
Thanks for the tips.
None of these power-related things seem to be the problem so far.
As I mentioned - -
■All things in the box light up
■Hard drive runs
■leds on mobo light (don't know what they mean as the manual doesn't say)
■graphics card works (on other computer with that card now)

My guess, and what I have learned elsewhere is it may be the Ram (maybe I have to go buy a 1-gig or 512 stick somewhere and try just one stick?

Not sure how to check the mobo or the cpu
The lcd shows nothing... it's plugged where it belongs.
I've been over all the plugs dozens of times... :sweat:

Monday I will see what results I get with a call to ASUS tech... it might be RMA time...

:( Bummer!... I thought this was going to be a cool system, not so complicated a mess.

mweidler

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
Im using the q6600 notherdude.
I keep getting the cmos err on the lcd poster.
I moved the videocard to a new slot. changed the ram around etc.
Im not sure where to go from here
any help is appreciated

happy_fanboy

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
usually this is a ram problem from past experiences, try every ram slot with a single stick, then try every ram slot with the other stick. keep playing with different combinations. Also, if that doesnt work, uninstall your cpu and inspect the socket very carefully looking for pins that may have been bent out of place, this can happen with the springy goofy pins that the socket has. If one looks different you can usually tuck it back into place with a very small tool.
Check your cmos jumper and clear the cmos with it, also make sure that the clear cmos jumper is in the correct position or you will get an error like that. Many times i have had to clear cmos settings after changing RAM configurations.
Also, take notherdude's advice of building outside of the case, sometimes when a board is in the case there could be an extra standoff screw where its not supposed to be that shorts the system.
Last idea is to buy a stick of different basic ram and test with that, because you might have to raise the memory voltage in BIOS before your performance RAM will turn on.

mweidler

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
I will try that. but wouldnt it fail the memtest?
I have ram from a dell 530 and a different videocard. I will try them.
first though I pulled the battery and let it sit for an hour I will put it back in and see if it works

mweidler

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
I swapped out the videocard and it posted. try that
so my new evga gts512 is going back, kinda sucks but at least it posted.
Im installing vista 64 now.

Nate Owens

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
@ mweidler...

Did you ever use that GTS512 in another computer?
The card I have runs great with my current computer (the one I'm trying to upgrade from if I can get the Asus going)...

The reason I ask is to try to determine if for some reason my card would work in one system and not the other.

thanks.... the thing i keep hearing above everything else is Ram.
I did not buy from Asus "approved vendor list" for ram. The ram specs do fit those required as far as I know, so I didn't think the manufacturer would be a factor.

mweidler

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
I didnt try the card in my other computer because its such a huge card and the dell530 has a small case and their is something in the way.
asus told me my ram isnt on the approved list. I think its a croc and their way of getting you to go away.
I installed vista and it posted and booted windows fine. I ran prime for 6 hours and then it crashed when I was away from it.
I cant boot vista now either. I tried to repair it but it either stays at the loading files screen or its a BSOD and tells me a ram error.
I also flashed the bios 0907 before I ran prime. seemed to work fine but it did change my timings to 5-5-5-15 instead of 4-4-4-12
any ideas why this would happen?