AMD X2 4200+ Overclock

azokaei

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
Hey i recently overclocked my computer a little bit more but i looked at my cpu temps again and i noticed they increased a lot even with my previous settings it would idle around 27-28 and max load somehwere around 52-54, and now the max load is somewhere between 54-and sometimes even 59

i recently cleaned out my case and my fans, i was wondering if i should re apply some artic silver

My current overclock is at 2.566 with a FSB of 233 X 11
My voltage is at 1.376

Ram is set down to DDR2 677 with a .5 voltage increase and HT is at 4 X

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
well 59 does seem a little bit high. i have my 4200+ running at 2.7Ghz and it reaches a maximum of about 54 degrees on full load. this is similar to what you have, but i'm using the amd stock cpu cooler, and it sounds like you're not. check to see if there's any hot air that's not moving around in your case. that could increase the temps of everything. after i installed my 4850, all my temps went up quite a bit. this is because the card is putting out alot of hot air into the case with nowhere to go.

stonebattle

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
I'm running an AMD 4200+ at 2.7G. With and Artic 64 heatsink, I get a max CPU temp of around 50C. I'm also running a HD 4850.

I'm not sure if we have enough info on your system. Such as, are the fans working properly or what's your motherboard temp and has it also increased?

azokaei

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
i have the stock heatsink i forgot to mention that but i applied artic silver thermal compound, i tried lowering my vcore and my FSB and it seems to be running cooler now its running anywhere from 25-28, im going to run orthos to check the stability and if that goes well i'll bump up the FSB and let you guys know what happens

stonebattle

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
0.5 volts sounds like quite a bit.
10% in general is a lot, but some go much further than that with appearent success.
In general, small steps in voltage is better. The key is not to go any higher than you have to in order to gain stability.

Artic silver may or may not make a difference. The temperature of the core is dependent on more than this material though. Some example that impact core temperature are, thermal resistance from core to case(which you can't impact), from case to heatsink(new artic silver may impact this), and heatsink to ambient(which depends on a lot such as heatsink size and air flow).

jcarr

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
i have a 4200+ and i have overclocked to 3.0ghz with no need to up the voltage

idle temps 27 - 34
stress temps 55 - 59

i only need to up the voltage when i overclock to 3.1

but then it gets to hot.

gunna overclock further when i get a maxorb and get rid of my goldenorb II

itstemo1

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
Guys... I have no idea how you people did it... I could bearlly get my +4200 up to 2.5ish and it was getting HOT. Around 50c.

Also after that it would become very unstable.

And final note... I didn't understand how to overclock my cpu because my Motherboard was to complicated. and all the other Online Guides where explaining how to overclock the old 939.

anyways... I am moving this to my Fileserver. I hope I can underclock it.