Interesting start up issue

nickw1985

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
Hey guys,

Yesterday turned computer off, didn't install anything, didn't fiddle with anything and all was working fine.
This morning I turn it on and after the initial system check screen it stopped and a random selection of symbols appeared, and it didn't boot any further.
I can still get into the BIOS settings, so I reset them and now it comes up with the message "Remove disks or other media, press any key to continue" after the 1st screen. If I press any key it says "System error, insert boot disk and press key to continue". Tried putting Vista dvd in as boot disk, and it then went onto the install windows screens, which I obviously didn't want.

Tried changing various options in BIOS including boot order of HD, dvd drive etc. and a few other things.
Have removed any things that could be considered "disks and other media" and made sure the dvd drive is empty.

Anyone have an recommendations??

Thanks

Do you have another empty or junkbox hard drive that you can install?

If so, install Windows and boot several times. If that works, apparently something corrupted your OS or you have a boot drive fault.

Can another computer read your boot drive?

nickw1985

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
Ok, I'll try that thanks, if there is a boot drive fault or corrupted OS is there anything I can do about it without losing all my data?

Have you tried repairing your system Boot file?

1) Configure your computer to boot from the CD drive.
2) Insert your XP CD and boot from it.
3) You'll see some files being copied, then you'll be presented with a choice of installing or
repairing an existing installation. Choose Repair.
4) You'll be asked which XP installation you want to log into. Enter 1. There is usually only
one installation.
5) You'll be prompted for the Administrator password. For Home, the default password is blank, so just hit Enter. For Pro, enter the same password you did during setup for the Administrator account (this is not the same as the password for an Admin level account. It must be the Administrator account password).
6) At the C:\Windows prompt, type FIXBOOT. You'll be prompted to confirm. Do so.
7) When FIXBOOT is finished, remove the XP CD and type EXIT and the machine will reboot.
Reconfigure your computer to boot from the hard drive if necessary.