Is not a good time?

sacoops

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Hi everyone. I'm starting to think about building myself a new computer. I have done it for others but never for myself before, but now that i can afford it i can't wait to get my own!

My question is, is now a good time to buy? I know that there are always going to be be better things on the horizon but with the new series of graphics cards about to arrive would i be wasting my money unless i wait a month or two. I'm not going to be buying a top of the range system but i would like to be able to play the top games. Also i'm from the UK so will EVGA offer their step-up program to me? What else is coming up soon that i should also be thinking about, if anything?

Thanks for any advice

sacoops

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Sorry i meant what advantages would x48 give me, not x38. I haven't overclocked before but it's something i might consider but not seriously.

If i were to wait till march/april there would probably be newer CPUs on the way soon after i suppose!

akhilles

Splendid
X48 will DEFINITELY be more expensive than X38. I'd say $300-ish or higher per board. The chipset costs somewhat less than $100. No jokes. There's a P45 desktop chipset coming up, but it'll be near Nelaham release which is the next gen platform. If you wait for P45 (Q2/Q3), might as well skip socket 775.

nvidia is delaying their new cards that mean price drop delays as well due to maybe chinese new year (official holiday in china). They make most of the cards.

Yup, March/April will see Yorkfields (45-nm quad) unless Intel wants their stock go south more.

amd_fanboi

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
i think it's a pretty good time; if you keep flying in a holding pattern yopu'll never get anything done... of course, there IS nehalem and 9800 by nvidia around the corner...