Does Accelero S1 (first revision) fit on HD4850

Katzhuu

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
Hi,

I ordered me the Asus EAX4850 card and I'm wondering if the Accelero S1 Rev.1 fits on it. I remember seeing somewhere that it does, but I can't find that message/article anymore.

I'm asking, cause I have one extra S1 around here and I need to know if I should order the S1 Rev.2 right now to save time and troble of trying to install the Rev.1 on the 4850.

I already got extra heatsinks ordered for the VRM's, so that's already taken care for.

Thanks in advance.

-Katzhuu

Katzhuu

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
TO answer my own quiestion: YES, even rev 1 works, but you better have some extra heatsinks for the VRMs!

Here are pics of my card after I took the stock cooler off. I decided to use only Zalman ZM-RHS1 heat sinks on the memory and VRMs. The original memory heatsinks were used and I didn't have want to glue them permanently to the board so I just bought 2 packs of ZM-RHS1. If you decide to do the same, make sure you put one of the smaller sinks on the memory closest to the PCI-E connector. The heatpipe of the GPU-cooler is too low for the bigger Zalmans.

Temps so far (ambient temp ~25C):

Idle:
GPU: 46-48C
VRMs: 47C (GPU-Z temp 2)
GPU-Z temp 1: 47C
GPU-Z temp 3: 42C

Load:
GPU: 64C max (Bioshock demo)
VRMs: 64C max(GPU-Z temp #2)
GPU-Z temp #1: 62C
GPU-Z temp #3: 62C

I don't know what those temps #1 and #3 are, but if you do, please tell me :)

Case: Antec P180 (2 exhaust fans, 1 intake on top compartment, all on minimum setting)
CPU: E6300 with Scythe Ninja+ (passive, no fan)

So if you have good ventilation in your case(like I do), this is REALLY worth doing. The stock fan can be REALLY noisy. Now only sounds from my rig is the steady hum of HDDs :)

closed_deal

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
Nice pics, tiz always good to see how someone's carried out their work ;). Those temps look really good for for passive cooling aswell!! Can't answer the the GPU-Z temp question mind... I do have one question, how close is the top of the S1 to the side of your case?

Katzhuu

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
Some bad news and some good news.

BAD:
Tried running Furmark and card crashed when GPU temps went to ~72C (took about 3 mins). It seemed that card just turned itself down. So I think the problem lies on the VRMs. I had exactly the same behaviour with my first X1950Pro I tried this exact same Accelero S1 earlier.

GOOD:
Gave up the idea of totally passive cooler on the 4850 and attached one extra Anted 120 Tricool fan on it (sry no pics). After that I had no problems with the Furmark. Ran it for 25 mins and the card stayed stable. The fan was at minimum setting and temps rose to 71C. I thought it was a bit too high, so I cranked up the Fan to midspeed and the temps dropped to ~63C. Temps might have dropped 1C still, but I think that was enough. Antec Tricool Fan can't be heard over the hum of the HDD's in my system.

I hope this gives help to others thinking about this same matter.

-Katz