otringal

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
hello !!! this is my first post ever on this forum so I'd like to be short and not to stress you guys too much :) so here it goes: I had a Celeron 2800 MHz which was around 32-33' C at startup, went to 34-36' C in normal desktop mode, but as soon as I was playing a game, in 2-5 minutes, I would hear my motherboard beep ( yes, I've enabled the temp. check ) ... so I used AIDA32 in order to see the CPU temp and it went up to 60-62 while playing ... as soon as I'd stop, it went below 40 in less than a minute and back to 3x' C .... so I've changed the Celeron for a Pentium recently ( not because of this problem ), which runs at 2800 MHz also and I have the exact same problem, except the fact that I have to play for like 15 minutes instead of 5 ... so after 15 minutes, my motherboard still beeps telling me the CPU has reached at least 60' C :( what can I do ??? what did I do wrong ?? just as a quick note, I've replaced the heat sync paste ( or what's it called ) a dozen times and nothing has changed :( please help me out and thanks !!! P.S.: I have this problem for a long time now, but at first ( in 2005 I think ), after hearing the annoying beeps from the mainboard, I've disabled the PC speaker ( stupid, I know ... tell me about it ) and I've only began to hear it again a few months ago when I decided to put the speaker back on.

Those (i assume you are using an old 90nm Celeron based on Presscot,etc) Celerons are based on the NetBurst architecture so that explains why you are getting those temps. Those temps look OK to me if they are from the NetBurst era. You should also probably clean out the heat sink and reapply the thermal paste. 60-65C is warm temps but still safe. You need to really start worrying when if they go higher than 66C.

ZozZoz

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
reboot, open BIOS , go to hardware monitor (or pc health which it's called sometimes) raise the warning threshold for CPU temperature. save, exit. problem solved.

P4's run hot. If they get too hot, they will throttle themselves, so you don't have to worry too much about damaging the cpu. I think that point is at about 70c.

You could turn off the warning beep in the bios, so you don't get the noise.

The stock heat sinks are not particularly efficient. You could install an aftermarket cpu cooler.

When gaming, the vga card will increase it's heat output. If the vga cooler is not the double slot type that exhausts the vga heated air out the back, then it is part of the problem. Look into a arctic cooling NV silencer vga cooler.

Is your case cooling good? Open up the side, and direct a house fan at the innards.

ZozZoz

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
i just love reading your posts guys.

has EVERYONE failed to notice that its the beeping, not the temps that the OP is worried about?

major53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
Otringal I agree with Shadow703793 those temp are not that bad for that cpu and if it does go above 65c then I would worry,also need to make sure you have good air flow through your pc makes a differents.you could get speedfan software to monitor it maybe.it also shows temp on cpu,case,etc,you can also ajust the fan speeds with speedfan.don't know how many fans you have,may have to put another one in or two.

otringal

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
well I have a GA8IPE-1000G motherboard ( Gigabyte ), 2 case coolers blowing directly on the mainboard and CPU, and the point is that I know I can resolve the beeping but still the problem won't disappear ... it will still be there, it's just that I won't hear it no more ... what concerns me is the heat problem ... and oh, I forgot something: as soon as I run a DOS prompt or shell or even MS-DOS itself, the CPU goes crazy and starts beeping again in 5 minutes ... why is a DOS mode making it hot like some DirectX game ???

otringal

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
well as I said, I don't wanna do that ... getting away from the noise would be silly cause the CPU will still overheat ... what I wanna do is reduce the temp ;)

bob8701

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
"what I wanna do is reduce the temp"
get a new cpu heatsink, xp90 or xp 120 are excellent choice. plus some ac5, your problem solved.

otringal

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
I read somewhere that the PSU ( power supply ) might be responsible for this ... is that true and how can it affect the temp ??? why ??? also, here's a dumb question: what heat sync is compatible with my 478 socket ??? ( apart from the ones made specifically for this socket )