Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3P problems

crazy stumped

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2008
Hi. I'm new to forums, have never had a problem building a computer. This is my second complete build, although I've upgraded various computer components numerous times.

My problem is in relation to my current new build. Here are the following components:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4Ghz processor
Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3P motherboard
Crucial Ballistix DDR2 memory (4 G)
Silencer 750W PSU
Gigabyte NX66256DP2 video card
Antec 900 case
1 Maxtor IDE, 3 Seagate Barracuda SATA HDDs
Exos 2 External cooler

Everything but the HDDs, cooler, video card, and PSU are new. All the other components came out of a working computer.

Completed installing all components. Went to boot up the computer- it won't post, makes a low droning, whirring sound, and then turns itself off after a second (maybe 2 seconds). Then the computer turns back on, and does the same thing a second time. After that, it shuts off until I cycle the power again.

Strangely, if I unplug the 12V connector from the motherboard the computer won't shut off, looks like it's trying to boot, but nothing ever happens. Receive "No signal" message on my monitor.

I am at a complete loss. Tried removing everything but PSU, motherboard, CPU, cooler, video card, 1 stick of memory, and 1 HDD. The problem still persists.

I do not have any fans connected to the motherboard, including CPU/system fans due to external cooler. I have removed the "Reset" connector from the motherboard to verify that the case's reset switch wasn't faulty. Swapped video cards and had the same problem- tried both PCIE slots. The PSU came out of a good rig, so I would guess it is PROBABLY still good. Tried swapping memory. Not sure how to test CPU or motherboard as this is the only processor that will fit this socket. Swapped monitors with my wife's computer. It works on hers so I know the monitor isn't bad.

The motherboard is brand new. I haven't been able to contact Gigabyte about the motherboard yet. Does this sound like a bad motherboard? Could the BIOS need flashing (I have never had to do this)? Could the processor be bad? Has anyone experienced a similar problem?

Thanks for all replies in advance. So far I suspect a faulty motherboard. But I haven't ruled out the processor. The PSU would be the final (but least likely) faulty component (that is, as far as I understand computer hardware).

Mondoman

Splendid
MBs often come with the BIOS setting that monitors CPU cooler fan rpm activated; since you're not using a CPU cooling fan, try connecting a CPU cooler fan to the CPUFAN header in order to allow you to boot, then disable that setting in the BIOS.

Kidxv

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2008
Same problem, but further along. I can boot fine, screw around on the internet, and play most games just fine.

The hardware differences between yours and mine are
2GB Patriot RAM
2.1 Dual Core(reused from the computer before this)
450w Power supply with the neccesary 30A 12v line
Zotac GeForce 9600XT

I use this computer for gaming more then anything else, and it's during those games that I run into where I receive "No signal" message on my monitor. During this time, the video board's fans kick in at full speed so I'd originally assumed it was my video board. Esspecially so due to the fact that this was a completely new system using the newer hardware standards(pcie over agp, sata over ide, etc.) making it impossible to swap out old hardware for testing. But seeing another person with the same problem at the same time, makes it rather clear that it's the motherboard, not the rest of the hardware.

I've attempt what little changes I could manage. Flashed and updated the bios, changed out the power supply in case it was faulty, but the problem persists. As my computer actually lets me into windows, I've also made sure chipset and all drivers were updated, but this problem is apparently a hardwired one. Gigabyte has failed to acknowledge any attempts at support, and I suspect they will continue to do so at least until the return policy expires on it. It isn't what you want to hear, but you may be better off taking it apart and sending the mother board back to where ever it spawned from as I intend to do, the moment I click 'submit' on this message. Only cost about $150 off newegg.com, and had everything I needed without extra built-in garbage. Shame it lacked stability.

crazy stumped

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2008
Thanks for all replies. I contacted Gigabyte tech support (by the way, best tech support I've ever experienced- I could understand the guy, he was knowledgeable, and he solved my problem...shame I accidentally hung up on him trying to do what he told while working on the computer) and they had me clear CMOS by removing the battery for 1 minute and removing all memory but one stick and placing it in the DIMM3 slot (not DIMM1...why???). I'm not sure which solved the problem, but it did so I'm grateful.

Haven't experienced any gaming yet, so I can confirm Kidvx's opinions/knowledge of the board. I don't know if it's stable yet, but it's definitely durable. If my ogre hands can manhandle it in frustration like I did then it is definitely strong, if nothing else. Like Kidvx said, it has everything I could want at a reasonable price. Have had good experiences with Gigabyte in the past (video card-wise) and am hoping that Kidvx's problems are an isolated case.

I will reinstall the remainder of the memory (the other 3G) and see if that has any impact on the stability. The board seems picky about the memory, and the tech support guy also recommended reducing the memory voltage from 2.2V to 1.8V. Thanks again to all who responded.

Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007

What PSU did you use to test? Also, do you have sufficient cooling? I perceive the 'no signal' issue to be a connection issue or a problem with obtaining a suitable resolution. Make sure the video card is fully in the PCI-e slot and if you're using Windows XP, install the correct Nvidia drivers for the card. After that, I wouldn't know what to suggest. But, since the problems occur with gaming, it sounds like either a drivers problem or PSU not being able to run the card (at load). My 400w Seasonic PSU was supposedly not enough for my 7950GT video card or that's what I concluded. I upgraded to a Corsair HX520 PSU and I have no issues now (knock on wood). I don't game enough to know if I'll have the famous artifacts problem (hopefully, I don't), though.

Good luck on finding a solution. Hopefully, it's not directly related to the mb.

gahleon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Now here is something incredibly interesting. I am using this board and I recently ran into this monitor problem, however, it only occurs when the cpu is overclocked. I have the PCIE frequency set to 100 and it boots everytime. However, when I overclock the thing it just doesn't want to display anything. It boots into windows as I can hear the boot up sound. However, if I do an immediate restart nothing. Yet, the ironic thing is that if I wait about a minute it will display. I just can't figure it out.

See when I have my overclock it is prime 95 stable. I am not sure what the issue is but it has something to do with the board. Interesting problem. The issue is with it not giving a display signal. I have it updated to the new F3 bios but it did it with both F1 and F3.

Has anyone had this problem?

The system is

q6600 at 8x400 3.2 ghz
2 gigs crucial ballistix 800mhz frequency
hd3870
gigabyte ep35-ds3p
tuniq tower 120

Everything is rock solid stable in the overclock but I can't figure out the monitor issue.

crazy stumped

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2008
I am now experiencing problems with hibernation. The machine will not go into any mode of sleep/hibernation. When it tries to restart, it goes into the endless boot mode (until power is cycled). The machine will run in Windows all day long, and it will startup and shutdown fine, but it will not wake up from sleep mode.

gahleon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
The hibernation/sleep problem will supposedly be addressed in the new vista service pack 1. I know that the beta is available right now from microsoft, however, it will be available soon via auto update. Try getting that and see if that fixes your hibernation problems.

zeroneleven

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2008
I have this EXACT same problem with this board. If I understand correctly, clearing CMOS and switching memory to DIMM3 solved your original problem?

crazy stumped

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2008
Yes zeroneleven. That solved the problem of initially not being able to boot. Afterwards, I was able to install the OS (Vista x64), then reinstall the remaining RAM.

The sleep/hibernation issue was solved by setting BIOS to S3 and DISABLING sleep mode in Vista. I currently only run hibernation mode. Even after the SP1 update, sleep mode would not work (caused endless reboot sequence).

Every now and then (maybe 5-10% of the time) Vista will hang on waking up from hibernation. Not that big of a deal to me. I can live with this as long as the power saving features that I paid good money for are working, for the most part anyway.