Sign in with
Your question

ok after 1 1/2 months

Last response: in Systems
January 27, 2008 5:17:02 PM

Well first i want to start off and say thanks to carquote and aevm for the help threw PM's on this site. The both of you have been alot of help.

So this is going to be my build

mobo
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

CPU

TOWER
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

1st HD
this is for OS and other non removable items.

2nd hd
this will be for the games and removable items

Game Card
Just one for now then 2. but i will want to see how the new VID cards will be in a few months befor buying a 2nd or 3rd

Ram
4 gigs of this

Power Supply
this is the only thing im not to sure about at this time. i have looked around and this company is one of the better ones out there.

Screen
i have seen this one in store and played around with it. i like it

OS will be Vista 64 bit.
i have read all the bad feed back on this new OS and really i could careless becasue its going on a BRAND new system. this isnt going to be an upgrade, PLUS i have a friend who works for microsoft and he said " its to bad that vista dosnt work well with older systems. there is a small falt in the " upgrade " it will not work with your older equipment " Then to the selling point i get it at 90% off retail price :kaola:  I will only pay 50.00

At this time i dont know if i am to go watercooling or not. i dont think i will be OC my system anytime soon for the fact im a n00b and dont want to screw things up. but if i do i was looking at this
i dont know why.... it just looks neat haha

i know i am forgetting something. if you guys have any feedback on any of this. please post something

i have the Ram and tower already. the mobo and cpu will be bought on mon/tues
i will not be buying all this from thease sites above. it was just easyer to find the links threw tigger or newegg

More about : months

January 27, 2008 10:46:33 PM

Looks good but be sure to get the retail not OEM CPU, better warranty
January 27, 2008 11:02:58 PM

!DO NOT! Get the Q6600 from TigerDirect.
They !EXPLICITLY! promise the slower B3 stepping.

They can likely pick them up a cheaper prices than the new G0.

TankGuys and Clubit promise G0 if I recall.
Most folks at NewEgg are reporting G0, but its not a sure thing.

Related resources
January 27, 2008 11:20:24 PM

Why not go SATA on your second gaming HDD? That 8800GT's fan system will drive most nuts, the 8800GTS 512MB uses a bigger slower quieter fan system. You most likely will not get a Q6600 G0 from Tiger. If you want to OC good get one of three CPU coolers, Tuniq Tower 120, Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme or a Zalman 9700. The latter being the loudest of the three. You can get a great overclock using one of the three CPU air coolers mentioned above, most of those can cool within 15C of WC. Have anymore questions please ask. :D 
January 28, 2008 2:41:41 AM

like i said in my post, im not buying all this stuff from newegg or tigger. it was just made it easy to find on there web sites. if i am to buy the @6600 i would get from ClubIT they promis the CPU is the good one for what i read.

the 8800gts is only 10 dallors more i will have to look into it alittle better

there are a few things i havnt put much time into and the fans are one of them. along with the CD/dvd Drives.
The Tower i got can hold 6 120mm fans i will do more hunting for around for them. Thank you Systemlord for the input

I dont know much about OC, i figure i should get used to building a system again after 10 years. then start to get into the OC part of it

last part is, how do i know wich is the good Q6600?
January 28, 2008 6:38:03 AM

Dan_P said:
last part is, how do i know wich is the good Q6600?

You don't know, thats why we suggested NewEgg. Its been a while since anyone has reported getting a B2 Q6600 at NewEgg. What you want is the Q6600 G0 and not the B2.
January 28, 2008 6:00:07 PM

thanks again Systemlord.

i bought the mobo today for 269.85 out the door. good deal i think. no tax or shipping
January 28, 2008 8:17:14 PM

Dan_P said:
thanks again Systemlord.

i bought the mobo today for 269.85 out the door. good deal i think. no tax or shipping

Wow I never expected prices to drop on the 780i's so quickly, when the 780i's first came out they went for $329.99.
January 29, 2008 12:49:15 AM

yeah, i was shocked when i went in to the local " fry's Electronics " they had it on a 10 dallor discount from fri-mon.

im going to buy the CPU tomarrow. i was at frys but they didnt know wich Q6600 they had and i didnt want to take the chance to get the wrong one.

January 29, 2008 7:40:32 PM

Let me know how that case works, I have it now but waiting for newer mobos before I finish the build. I got that case with a $45 rebate, and it's my favorite case out of all my builds so far.
January 29, 2008 8:07:46 PM

Dan_P said:
how do i know which is the good Q6600?

Glad I good help a bit. Check you PM, I sent you one a few days ago that explains the G0 stepping and how to tell if one is G0 from the retail box. At the end of the product code it will say SLACR. That is the code for the G0 as opposed to the B3 if you decide to buy it at Frys. Just check the box to make sure it ends in that code and that the bo it sealed :)  I also noticed your 500gb hard drive is the 7200.10. I know you said you weren't buying everything from the links you provided but you should be looking at the 7200.11 which has 32mb cache and is the same price. Supposedly a faster drive from what I have read. Also highly recommend the GTS 512 over the GT. Great deal on the Vista 64bit! As far as the monitor goes, you could save some money if you like the Samsung 245bw and belong to Costco/sam's club both of which have it for only $399.99. There is also a $50 rebate on it uf you get it before the 31st. For $350 it's a great deal and regarded by many as the best 24" gaming monitor for the money.
January 29, 2008 9:49:43 PM

doormatderek said:
Let me know how that case works, I have it now but waiting for newer mobos before I finish the build. I got that case with a $45 rebate, and it's my favorite case out of all my builds so far.

I know 2 people who used this Tower in a build and LOVE IT! it has alot of room the slide out trys for the HD's I feel it is worth the 79.00 it retails for. plus you got it for an even better price.

I work with sheet metal for a living, I plan on cutting out the side and put some plexi glass so the you can look into the system. i will also drill small holes like 1/16th for more ventaltion ( sorry i dont know what that size is in metric ) so the fans can suck more air into the tower.

January 29, 2008 9:53:36 PM

carquote said:
Glad I good help a bit. Check you PM, I sent you one a few days ago that explains the G0 stepping and how to tell if one is G0 from the retail box. At the end of the product code it will say SLACR. That is the code for the G0 as opposed to the B3 if you decide to buy it at Frys. Just check the box to make sure it ends in that code and that the bo it sealed :)  I also noticed your 500gb hard drive is the 7200.10. I know you said you weren't buying everything from the links you provided but you should be looking at the 7200.11 which has 32mb cache and is the same price. Supposedly a faster drive from what I have read. Also highly recommend the GTS 512 over the GT. Great deal on the Vista 64bit! As far as the monitor goes, you could save some money if you like the Samsung 245bw and belong to Costco/sam's club both of which have it for only $399.99. There is also a $50 rebate on it uf you get it before the 31st. For $350 it's a great deal and regarded by many as the best 24" gaming monitor for the money.

I will have to run donw to costco and lok at it. i got my 48" plasma from them, never crossed my mind to look at them for a computer monitor.

I did today buy the Q6600 from ClubIT 302.00 and some changed ( i hate the fact california HAS to pay tax on out of state internet sales )

I will look more to the 7200.11 if it is a better HD AND the same price i may just go down to FRY's and see whats up. Maybe a 7200.11 with a sata set up would be perfect.... the buying continues ha ha

January 29, 2008 10:00:00 PM

my brother got the same power supply and he likes it, its a good power supply, have fun with the new comp
January 29, 2008 10:12:44 PM

thanks Ice2. im am looking forward to the day it is all here. so i can put it together.
January 31, 2008 10:19:00 PM

So i ordered my Q6600 form Clubit.com i come home to find the box from fedex is open WITH the box the cpu fan and CPU is in. what else do i NOT find???? the CPU! the fan is still in there.

i placed a call to ClubIT. they said " we have to talk to our shipping department. then we will call you back! " i say to them " i rather be placed on hold, this for i know someone will get back to me " She Replys " well it mite take more then 15 minutes" then hung up

WTF!?!

i will keep this updated!
January 31, 2008 10:22:01 PM

Dan_P said:
I know 2 people who used this Tower in a build and LOVE IT! it has alot of room the slide out trys for the HD's I feel it is worth the 79.00 it retails for. plus you got it for an even better price.

I work with sheet metal for a living, I plan on cutting out the side and put some plexi glass so the you can look into the system. i will also drill small holes like 1/16th for more ventaltion ( sorry i dont know what that size is in metric ) so the fans can suck more air into the tower.

Yes yes, the ONLY problem I saw is that I can't see inside, a plexiglass seethrough MOD is about the ONLY thing this case needs :) )))
January 31, 2008 11:12:04 PM

^Agreed. Just grab some clear Acrilic and a rotary tool and get to work on that side panel. [That case is built to be moded btw]
January 31, 2008 11:28:16 PM

Oh i plan on it!! depends on what colors, the items have on then already. will say if i do a colored acrilic or clear!

January 31, 2008 11:53:00 PM

zenmaster said:
!DO NOT! Get the Q6600 from TigerDirect.
They !EXPLICITLY! promise the slower B3 stepping.

They can likely pick them up a cheaper prices than the new G0.

TankGuys and Clubit promise G0 if I recall.
Most folks at NewEgg are reporting G0, but its not a sure thing.

I bought my q660 months ago and received the g0. I can't believe there are still b3's still being sold now.
February 1, 2008 3:36:25 PM

Take a look at buy.com they have most of what you need and have most-of-the-time lower prices than newegg and offer FREE shipping on most items, I myself would not go with Tiger-Direct but that is me.

You will definately hear a lot of GOOD things about newegg & buy.com.
March 9, 2008 4:55:57 AM

well well well.... it was longer then i thought but its done! i am down loading windows vista ultimate as i type!

it been so long from the last time i built a computer it was like reading a book from china! also with my fat hands it wasnt easy to reach some of the fan controls near the CPU. buuuuttttt its done.

i ended up useing a free 8600 gt vid card for now, it was free and once i got the 250 gig HD and 500 gig i was having issued with having all this stuff sitting infront of me with out being able to use it lol. thanks again to all the people who have help me by answering all my questions!
May 12, 2008 5:00:49 AM

so how is it running?
!