can i overclock a card thats already factory oc?

cajunland504

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
hello ppl! i have a sick gigabyte 8800 gt turboforce gpu with a zalman cooler. its factory oc out of the box. now , can i still oc this card beyond factory oc? its at 700 mhz! thanks.

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
You can try! That is the only way to find out. There is no reason that it wouldn't get beyond what the factory decided to OC it to.

Just use the standard testing methods. ATI Tools and Riva Tuner are a good pair! One for tuning and changing speeds, one for the artifact tester.

--Lupi

themyrmidon

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
Factory OC'ed cards are made from the higher quality chips. While they don't have as much overhead room as a normal chip, they should be able to clock slightly higher.

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
yes you can OC a factory OCed card.

BUT things to think,

OCed chips are generally above average chip so it should OC further then the stock cards.

BUT quality is hard to controll so they tested at certain speed and all of them pass. but it could be the chip JUST reach the OC speed and cannot OC any further.

So it either on its limit or there is still alot left in them.

but i only buy factory OC card as 30mhz increase wouldnt make a big difference specially in Nvidia card as their speed jump by 50mhz. so if i increase shader from 1800 to 1830 wouldnt change the actual speed of the shader.

danbfree

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008

I have to second this guys post. I had an MSI 7900GT that was factory overclocked. It didn't overclock worth SQUAT past what it already was. Also it depends on the card whether it's worth overclcoking any further. I have a 4850 now and just taking it from 625 to 685 (10%) scales nicely to a full 5-10% gain in some resolutions. Seems like owners of your cards have their doubts whether it's worth it. I say you have a pretty good card already and wouldn't push it any more. Just for fun you can see if it will nice little even points like 725, 733, 750 just for bragging rights. :)

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
Yes you can oc quite a bit, example is my 7800gs is oc'ed from the existing oc to 473. However cooling the system is critical for a constant ocing.
I do not use software to OC anything. My preferred method is using nibitor to write a new bios, then flashing. Hardware ocing is far more Superior than software, software ocing is a good measure to find the stable point.