Multiplier Limits on Mobo

smoothcoco

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Hello all, I have recently purchased the Asus M2A-VM coupled with the AMD X2 5000+BE . Im trying to build a mid-range PC that is OC'able.
I havent finished building it, sitll waiting on parts.
In the Manual for the Mobo it says the Bios Multipliers go no higher than 9X.
I am wondering if I need to get a better mobo to OC using 12X and up multipliers...or are there Bios updates to d/l or OCing utilities.
I am new to OCing and I have done my research and searched for info on this but I cant find an answer.

My curiosity is this, standard 200mhz X9 = 1.8ghz which doesnt make any sense if the 5000 BE is @ 2.6 ghz

For example an ideal OC on the 5000+ BE is ~3.2 ghz, using a 9X multiplier you would need 355 mhz CC which is too high correct?

Thanks to anyone who can answer or lead me in the right direction, I appreciate all help!

Here is my build
ASUS M2A-VM
AMD X2 5000+ BE
Xigmatek 1283 cpu HS/cooler
2X2gb mushkin ram
Corsair 750w PSU
ATI Radeon 4850

Of the reviews I have seen, the board supports up to a multiplier 13. I would say that is right, as most any modern board would support multipliers higher than 9.
Supposed to be a decent, entry level board that will work well with modest overclocks. I have never seen a motherboard manual that was completely accurate or listed all the settings in a BIOS. The manual could simply be not current or not include all the specs.
Although, if I was going to be overclocking, this board certainly would not be my first choice. I am not sure why you would pick an entry level workstation board with on-board graphics for the setup your are planning on building......?

smoothcoco

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
thats what the manual lists, like i said i havent completed the build so i havent seen the bios myself. thats comforting to hear i sure hope its only a partial list. so im at ease at your response, i didnt think ASUS would make a mobo w/ a limit mult of 9x. thanks for the response ill post if it is indeed that low when i boot up

smoothcoco

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
I plan on building a high end PC by the end of the year, this is just to hold me over and to help me learn to OC w/o spending $1200 and f***ing top of the line parts up. ill probably upgrade part by part, first being the mobo, then cpu...i plan to crossfire w/ radeon 4850s or 70s depending on prices..that being said what is a good OCing mobo for when the time comes? I was planning on getting an intel w/ yorkfield 45nm cpu and going with the 750i ftw...but I do like AMD's OCability and the ATI line. any good Xfire mobo recommendations? thanks for the advice

smoothcoco

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
I plan on building a high end PC by the end of the year, this is just to hold me over and to help me learn to OC w/o spending $1200 and f***ing top of the line parts up. ill probably upgrade part by part, first being the mobo, then cpu...i plan to crossfire w/ radeon 4850s or 70s depending on prices..that being said what is a good OCing mobo for when the time comes? I was planning on getting an intel w/ yorkfield 45nm cpu and going with the 750i ftw...but I do like AMD's OCability and the ATI line. any good Xfire mobo recommendations? thanks for the advice

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
750i motherboard cant do CF because they are Nvidia chipset which are designed to do SLI not CF.

i think you got your info abit wrong. Intel is the ones that OC very nicely and AMD are the ones who struggles for clock speed. and ATI graphics card is the better price/performance parts BUT top of the leaderboard is GTX 280.