If I wanted to build a brand new PC right now...

Benis

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
...what card should I take if I wanted absolutely top end speed at this very moment without it being overclocked? the PC I have purchased is in the shop being built and I ordered an EVGA e-geforce 8800 ultra (stock) but after doing some reading I've read that the new 3870 x2s have it beat and plus its cheaper to boot. would a 3870 x2 be a better choice in terms of power over the ultra? the price does not even matter to me at this point... performance only!

I do have some fears regarding the 3870 x2... specifically the patch support for it as well as whether or not games out there actually support crossfire since this board is basically two slapped on 3870s. is this a big deal? will games be supporting crossfire or should i just stick with the nvidia?

thanks in advance!

IndigoMoss

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
I'd say go for the 3870X2. You are going to save a decent amount of money for a card that performs at Ultra levels. You also get native HDMI, better IQ, and in my opinion, more feature filled drivers (in Vista). The games that wouldn't support this card in crossfire are not going to really matter, because those games are usually old enough that one card will power them fine.

I'd definitely go with the 3870X2 for the reasons mentioned above. At the price of a GTX but the performance of an Ultra and in some cases a decent amount above the Ultra, I think it's a great deal. It also gives you more of a reason to purchase an Intel chipset, which will yield better results in OCing.

aznstriker92

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
Not at all. Monthly updates make cards better all the time.
Also since you don't care about money, Im guessing that you also will have a 30in at max resolution.2560 1600
Then the 3870X2 will out perform the ultra everytime even with AA.
Bottom line is that the 3870X2 is much better at higher resolutions.

Benis

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008

not quite. i have a 24 inch widescreen running at 1920X1200. is that still good enough?