rhawkesus

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
I have read in many postings that the Q6600 is very easy to overclock to 3Ghz just by adjusting the FSB to 1333. Is this true. I am not a overclocker by rights but if this is simple to do in this case would anyone be willing to help me out. Here are the specs.

Q6600
P5K-E motherboard from Asus
4 Gig GSkill 800 Mhz timing 5-5-5-15
Windows Vista 64 Bit.

G

You may be able to get it to 3.0Ghz on stock cooling.

I wouldn't call OCing simple though. The basics of it is just adjusting the multiplier and fsb, but there are other features that must be turned on/off to keep the system stable. Also, your voltage may need to be adjusted as well to maintain stability.

rhawkesus

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
Thanks Deuce271, in otherwords I should do some reading before I start messing around with the system. With my luck I'd burn it out :bounce:

Mando1351

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2008
You probably will not burn it out the first time but its always good to do some serious reading before you mess with the heart of your system.

Thanatos421

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
You are right in thinking that Q6600 at 3.0GHz is easy. Normally, it would just be a small FSB tweak, memory ratio adjustment and sometimes a small vcore bump. You wouldn't have to do much else. Just make sure you are using a good HSF. I wouldn't recommend overclocking at all with the Intel stock HSF.

But like the others said, check out the OC forums, in particular, the CPU section sticky by CompuTronix. Lots of good help over there.

G

Also google OC threads that use your mobo in particular. There are always some unique little things with every mobo that it wouldnt hurt to read up on.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

3 Ghz should be easy with the AC F7. Do you have a board that natively supports 1333 MHz FSB? (333 Bus Speed).

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

Than it should just be a matter of vCore.

I've done 1600 MT/s FSB with 4 GB of RAM on that board. It's not a big deal... but you MIGHT have to increase NB Voltage with the extra RAM, but it shouldn't have to for 333 MHz FSB.

Go 1:1 or whatever the ratio is for 333/800 and leave the RAM at stock timings. Enable the Voltage Damper (or Load-Line Calibration, depending on which BIOS you have). Boot up with all voltages at Auto, open CPU-Z and check your actual Voltage and check the VID in CoreTemp. VID - Actual Voltage = vOffset. Set your voltage in the BIOS to the VID read in CoreTemp and check to ensure it's working properly again in Windows. Run Prime95 Small FFT 24 Hours and Blend 24 hours at stock to ensure stability and burn in processor. Then set it to 333 MHz x 7 (CPU = 2.33 GHz) and leave the vCore alone. Run Prime95 Blend for 12 Hours. If it fails up the NB Voltage. Then go to 333x9 and start upping vCore until it will pass 8 hours of Prime95 Small FFT.

Disable EIST and C1E if you want.