Optimal Settings for 3HD RAID 0

merk66

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Feel free to yell at me if a thread exists for this, but I haven't found it yet.

I will list my system specs below. My situation is this: In a few days, I intend to set up my first RAID 0. I have ordered three identical oem HDs, WD 250GB RE (7200rpm, 16MB cache). I should mention too that I currently have two identical HDs, WD 320GB Blue (7200rpm, 16MB cache). I plan on having Windows XP Home on a small partition and then perhaps five to ten additional partitions. I play World of Warcraft a good bit and I am also into audio production. I also store hundreds of CDs on my hard drive and stream them to my Xbox 360. So, as I see it, I will be using quite a variety of file sizes, everything from 1kb to 1gb. I will, however, only have a few files above 1gb, while there will be thousands below 1mb. As of right now, I will be setting this up as NTFS with 4kb clusters and 16kb stripes. I am choosing 16kb stripes because I think it will work better on three disks. The two 320GB disks that I currently have will be used for backing up the files on the RAID and additional storage (doubt I'll ever need it though). One other piece of info: The motherboard has two RAID controllers, the ICH9R has six SATA ports, and a second "Gigabyte GSATA" has two SATA ports.

What I hope to learn is:

When setting up a three disk RAID 0, given the above info. What are the optimal settings for "cluster" size and "stripe" size?

Is there any negative effect in creating too many (20) partitions?

Should I plug all of my devices (five HDDs and Optical Drive) into the ICH9R? or would it be wise / possible to use the second RAID controller?

Would there be a better / different way to set this RAID up (keeping in mind that I want speed)?

My system specs:
Corsair 650W PSU
Q6600 @ 3.20GHz
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R FSB @ 400MHz
4GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 @ 1066MHz
EVGA GTX 260 superclocked edition 896MB
X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro
D-Link Wireless G

Let me know if any other info is needed and thanks to anyone who is kind enough to respond.

PS - most of my forum menu text is in French and I speak English...does anyone know how to correct this?
EDIT - the forum text is in English now, must have been some kind of glitch.

merk66

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
I should be receiving my new HDs today, I expect them in the next few hours. I can't believe no one has any advice for me. I have rethought what I stated before and I intend to set my stripes at either 32kb or 64kb. I still want to know what anyone else thinks about it though.