Sign in with
Your question

thermal paste on gpu

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 4, 2008 12:52:14 AM

would ocz thermal paste help my gpu temps. i want to get all i can out of that card so i want to keep it cool. its an x800gto. also... is putting thermal paste on the cards memory a bad idea? i dont want to put it on there if its gonna ruin stuff, but i want every last mhz i can squeeze out of that card. thanks in advance

More about : thermal paste gpu

February 4, 2008 1:00:26 AM

I know that replacing the stock thermal grease on you graphics would help a lot with heat. For the memory, I am not sure...
February 4, 2008 1:00:47 AM

I'm guessing you had that video card for awhile, so the thermal paste must be all dried up.

In that case, yes it will be helpful in bringing your temps down. Putting thermal paste on the memory is okay, but there needs to be a heatsink of some sort on top of it in order for it to work.
Related resources
February 4, 2008 1:11:03 AM

theres a metal plate which i suppose is supposed to be a heatsink. i've had the card for about a year and a half. it was the best i could get for 100$. i'm perfectly pleased with it. it lets me play F.E.A.R., prey, quake 4, doom 3, and hitman. i can do without all the eye candy, but i do like to keep the AA on 2x. 35-40 frames is good enough for me. thanks for the replies.
February 4, 2008 1:15:10 AM

There's probably thermal paste under the RAM, so it's okay to put it on. Just make sure your remove the old thermal paste completely.
February 4, 2008 1:21:11 AM

what should i use to get rid of the old paste? i dont wanna damage anything.
February 4, 2008 1:30:32 AM

Isopropyl alcohol, the highest % you can get.

wiki:
Quote:
It is also a very good cleaning agent and often used for cleaning electronic devices such as contact pins (like those on ROM cartridges), magnetic tape deck and floppy disk drive heads, the lenses of lasers in optical disc drives (e.g. CD, DVD) and removing thermal paste from CPUs*. It is also used to clean LCD and glass computer monitor screens (at some risk to the anti-reflection coating of the screen), and used by many music shops to give second-hand or worn records newer looking sheens. It cleans white boards very well and other unwanted ink related marks. Isopropyl alcohol also works well at removing smudges, dirt, and fingerprints from cell phones and PDAs. It is effective at removing residual glue from sticky labels.

* This goes for GPUs too :) 
February 4, 2008 2:02:02 PM

thanks everyone.
!