Sign in with
Your question

Loops on startup...

Last response: in Windows Vista
December 26, 2011 2:41:11 PM

Hello,
i have a dell inspiron e1505 with the intel core 2 duo... or something like that.. it's dual core, and an intel... anyway. it boots past the bios screen but wont boot past the "windows error recovery" screen. my choices on this screen are:
SAFE MODE
SAFE MODE W/ NETWORKING
SAFE MODE W/ COMMAND PROMPT
LASTKNOWN GOOD CONFIGURATION
START WINDOWS NORMALLY

when i choose safe mode it gets to

"LOADED: windows\system32\drivers\crcdisk.sys
Please wait..."

then blue screens for .1 seconds (barely long enough to see it turn blue) and reboots to the bios screen and goes straight to the "Windows Error Recovery" screen again...

it wont read the vista os disc

also.. if i sit and watch it, it'll try to start windows vista normally, gets to the black screen with the load bar w/ "Microsoft Corp." under it, blue screens and reboots through the bios back to windows error page..

the bios screen shows
MM061 Series
BIOS Revision A15
and loads perfectly every time.

any ideas on that?

More about : loops startup

a b \ Driver
December 26, 2011 9:28:18 PM

mickjja said:
Hello,
i have a dell inspiron e1505 with the intel core 2 duo... or something like that.. it's dual core, and an intel... anyway. it boots past the bios screen but wont boot past the "windows error recovery" screen. my choices on this screen are:
SAFE MODE
SAFE MODE W/ NETWORKING
SAFE MODE W/ COMMAND PROMPT
LASTKNOWN GOOD CONFIGURATION
START WINDOWS NORMALLY

when i choose safe mode it gets to

"LOADED: windows\system32\drivers\crcdisk.sys
Please wait..."

then blue screens for .1 seconds (barely long enough to see it turn blue) and reboots to the bios screen and goes straight to the "Windows Error Recovery" screen again...

it wont read the vista os disc

Don't wait for the screen to appear with safe mode options to appear.
Press F8 immediately after the DELL splash screen appears, and see if you can get into safe mode.

also.. if i sit and watch it, it'll try to start windows vista normally, gets to the black screen with the load bar w/ "Microsoft Corp." under it, blue screens and reboots through the bios back to windows error page..

the bios screen shows
MM061 Series
BIOS Revision A15
and loads perfectly every time.

any ideas on that?

m
l
Related resources
December 27, 2011 1:31:12 PM

while while it's doing the bios loading press F8.. trying it now.............. advanced boot options............

still does the blue screen reboot..

thanks for the F8 idea!

do you have any more tricks?
m
l
December 27, 2011 1:35:24 PM

thals for the link but i read a few before i posted. it wont read a disc at all. i also changed my settings so that it would read the cd drive first when booting..

m
l
December 27, 2011 1:36:34 PM

thanks* for the link... i cant type this morning
m
l
December 27, 2011 1:40:21 PM

Quote:
while while it's doing the bios loading press F8.. trying it now.............. advanced boot options............

still does the blue screen reboot..

thanks for the F8 idea!

do you have any more tricks?

Um, wasn't referring to using F8 but the Windows Installation DVD or the Windows Recovery DVD.

mickjja said:
thals for the link but i read a few before i posted. it wont read a disc at all. i also changed my settings so that it would read the cd drive first when booting..

Changing the boot order to boot from CD drive first won't help unless you have a bootable CD in there - Windows Install disk for example.
m
l
December 27, 2011 2:04:09 PM

I have more information about the lap top........

i booted before i did a case swap as the previous case was cracked to the point where the screen wouldn't stay up. i cleaned and repasted the heat sinks after because i had to remove them to get to a screw holding the motherboard on. i am pretty sure i have all screws returned to their proper locations.

before the case swap i had reinstalled windows vista. and it booted up. the hdd from the e1505 boots up in my inspiron 1501.. my hard drive from my 1501 has the same results in the 1505 as it did with the 1505 hdd in it.

at this point if i can't fix it, i'd at least like to get the blue screen to stayup long enough to read what it says. it reboots so fast that i cant even make out one word.

my brain hurts...
m
l
December 27, 2011 2:05:45 PM

i was using my windows vista os disc....
m
l
December 27, 2011 4:11:06 PM

mickjja said:

i booted before i did a case swap as the previous case was cracked to the point where the screen wouldn't stay up. i cleaned and repasted the heat sinks after because i had to remove them to get to a screw holding the motherboard on. i am pretty sure i have all screws returned to their proper locations.

before the case swap i had reinstalled windows vista. and it booted up. the hdd from the e1505 boots up in my inspiron 1501.. my hard drive from my 1501 has the same results in the 1505 as it did with the 1505 hdd in it.

If I understand correctly, you're saying that both Windows installations you have work fine in an Inspiron 1501 laptop that you have, but they both fail when used in this Inspiron e1505. I'm beginning to suspect that whatever damaged the case also resulted in damage to the internal components. Since you're OK with opening your laptop's case, you might be able to try some of the advice given here: PERFORM THESE STEPS before posting about POST/boot/no video problems! This might help to identify what piece of hardware is causing the problem. I also just remembered that Dell laptops normally have a hardware diagnostics utility that you can run before booting windows. I think you had to press the delete key during POST.

mickjja said:

at this point if i can't fix it, i'd at least like to get the blue screen to stayup long enough to read what it says. it reboots so fast that i cant even make out one word.

There are two places where you can get the BSOD info: Problem Reports and Solutions in the Control Panel and Event Viewer in Control Panel\Administrative Tools.
m
l
December 28, 2011 3:51:02 PM

ok... so last night i got hammered on rum and cokes, tore it apart, rebuilt it, somehow got it to read the os disc, reformatted the HDD, reinstalled vista, and now it almost woks perfectly... just having some drive installation issues... good thing i still have some of my Sailor Jerry Caribbean Rum to figure it out tonight. LOL!
m
l
!