Need information about my Processor

firesword

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
I have a Compaq Presario 061 i have upgraded it as nearly as far is it can go my Processor is a :x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuinIntel ~ 2600 Mhz:,.... I really need to know if i can have it upgraded cause its getting very slow.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
If its getting really slow have you looked at maybe an OS clean install?

Depending on what you are using this for, if its for web surfing email etc. then p4 2.6 is heaps and the slowness is likely related to software. If you are trying to play more recent games on this box then you are better off upgrading because p4's are going to hold you back something horrid.

firesword

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
I should have also included that my Processor is not fast enough for some my new games that my Pc just cant process. My PC is almost 4 years old. Other than this my Pc does fine with all other programs,app's. So then what would be my next step in of this issue.?

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
at 4 years old you more than likley have a 478socket mainboard (as its a compaq also) so there is not much you can do other than a new machine...

clammypipes

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
:non:

I do not know that information off hand but the fellow that told you to download the cpu-z utility should tell you what your motherboard is and what kind of socket it is like 478, 775, and so on. If not you can make whole computer for 300 bucks at tigerdirect.com called barebone builds and that includes a dual core processor and 2gb of memory, power suppy, motherboard, case. If you decide to stay with say a 478 or 775 pentium processor there is a good selection to choose from at www.starmicro.net.