How to orentate and mount your Xigmatek 1283 the right way!

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Lots of people with problems mounting and aligning this cooler. From what I have found, there is a pretty simple way to get the performance that the cooler is known for!

First off! The push pins. The faster you get rid of them, the faster your Xiggy will work!

I personally used 4 screws with matching tiny bolts, and just bolted the cooler on. Works great! No need to second guess the push pins, which I have NEVER gotten to work!

Next up.. your cooler. The Xiggy can only go on one direction and function to maximum potential. (That I have found!)

So first up, how to apply paste!

Three thin lines down each heat pipe where it will be contacting the IHS of the processor. (Integrated heat spreader.)

p5n72-t008.jpg

Next up, you look at the IHS of your processor, locate the aligning notches, and make sure you know the direction your cores go! Once you know this, simply mount the xiggy where the middle heat pipe goes down this line on the following pic. (The Pic Is Not Instructions on how to apply paste! You will ONLY be placing thermal paste on the three heat pipes, none on the CPU!)

sidebysidecomp.jpg

Good luck! Now maybe you will get the temps that I do, hehehe! (Wish i seen this before I placed my own xiggy on, would have saved me several hours too!!)

--Lupi

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Seen that, its useless. The whole point of not applying paste to the entire thing is that the spacers between the heat pipes can potentially be a small amount longer than the heat pipes, meaning that the spacers actually contact the IHS a fraction before the heat pipes.

That reduces tight contact with the important parts! By placing the paste in a line down the heat pipes themselves, when you mount the thing, NO thermal paste will get under the spacers, since they touched first, making the paste now give the heat pipes that much more contact, without the small bits of metal being under the spacers.

--Lupi

quaduser

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2008
lupi sure knows a lot more about this than I do but one thing I'd add (read about it at frost cpu or benchmark reviews, can't remember) is to first use a tiny little bit of paste to fill in the crevices on the face of the Xiggy..

just put a little bit of paste on it and move it around with a credit card until the 4 narrow gaps between the copper pipes are filled in. This requires very little paste.

Now proceed at lupi has drawn above, applying paste in thin lines (2 - 3 lines.. I used 2).

Finally, the orientation lupi has above worked great for me. In my case, this also meant the fan was blowing air through the fins and onto the back case fan which was exhausting air out the back..

A pleasant surprise with my case and PSU (OCZ stealth X stream) was that the 120mm fan on the PSU also sucked up hot air from the Xiggy from up above and exhausted it through the PSU and out the back of the case.

So now I'm at a 3 - 3.2 Ghz OC while idling at 32 - 34 C and with Prime 95 blending all 4 cores at 100%, the temps. stay below 47 C ( I do have 4 x 120 mm case fans, all very quiet .. two in the front, two at the back.)

quaduser

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2008
Hmm.. just noticed lupi's comments.. not sure which part of the article he is critcizing.

1. applying paste in a big blob on the Xiggy (I think that's shown as something to NOT do)

2. applying lines of paste on the silver colored part vs his suggestion of applying it on the copper tubes

3. filling in the air gap with a little paste before applying lines of paste.

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
I dunno.

Honestly, I don't pay much attention once I figure out the way to do it myself.

Once someone posts temps that beat the performance of my personally applied xiggy, I'd more than likely be all over it, hehe!

So far, I seem to have the best temps. :)

I mean, can't go wrong with that, yes?

BTW, I in no way mean that MY way is the RIGHT way.

When I mention what works, it's what works for me! We all know, different gear, different problems! (And by default, in alot of computer gear, the manufacturing local, and process can make the same thing different, hehe! IE, a 1.2000 VID q6600 from maylasia would be different from a 1.2000 from tailand. The basics would remain, but they would still be "different.")

Same goes with your xiggy. I didn't have to fill in any gaps, because I did something that compensated for the flaws *I* had on my xiggy.

Doing it my way automatically fills them in, and acts as a guard just in case you placed a bit to much paste on it, hehe!

But one can argue all day. If nothing else is working, might as well try my way. It may work, It May Not!

Good luck!

--Lupi

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
The problem with pushpins is they are just to damn easy. If you follow the directions and use a little common sense, they are 100% easy and effective. Everyone just makes it harder then it is.

1st you need to make sure the pins are all in the right position. Alot of times one will be in the unlock position and will never lock in like that.

2nd you push the pins in a X direction intead of a square. Same priciple puttin on a tire if you go around one way your tire will fall off.

Also most issues come from trying to install while the mobo is in the case. This is not recommended.

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
lol lupi told me how to mount the xiggy a while ago and it definitely made sense... i had seen that idagram from arctic silver already but hadn't connected that with the orientation of the middle pipe on the xiggy hehe

but, is there any benefit to applying the paste to the HSF compared to putting a blob on the IHS? (contrary to puplar opinion you shouldn't spread it out with a credit card...its called common sense that the pressure would spread it out naturally... :pfff:)

qwertycopter

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
V3NOM,
The direct touch heatpipe coolers do not properly spread thermal paste on the IHS using the traditional method. The paste tends to get stuck in the gaps and wont completely cover the outer heatpipes. It's recommended to put the pastr directly on the heatpipes to guarantee they get covered or you could do it the method shown on benchmark reviews.

Lupiron,
I don't know what you're talking about, the bottom of the heatsink is supposed to be flush with the heatpipes. You say on yours the metal spacers are a bit longer than the heatpipes. This sounds like a manufacturing error to me. Did you test it with a razor blade?

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
hmm well just to resurrect this great thread *bow down to lupi*, i recently bought a S963 and in a month am getting a S1283 for a new rig, and i had no trouble with the push pins! i didn't even push em in like i was told just did top right and bottom right then top left and bottom left, and it's fully seated n secure! still, am getting the crossbow brakcet for the S1283 anyway :p

on another note, my new rig will have a psu at the top with a fan on it sucking up into the psu. since its a dual core im working with, i should mount it so its blowing up the top, not out the back. however i do not want to overheat the psu, so i was thinking of leaving the exhaust fan at the back where it is and blowing out the back. the problem with this is the psu fan will likely cause some airflow disruption, not to mention i should be aligning it with the cores.

does anyone want to hazard a guess as to the best way to mount?